|
Author Topic:   RAM
coax
Administrator
posted April 11, 2001 04:19 PM            
how can i allocate more RAM to a certain program I'm running?

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 13, 2001 06:56 PM            
anybody know?

------------------
TM Bios

IP:

JVortex
posted April 13, 2001 08:55 PM            
i dont kno how to do that with windows, i kno its fairly simple on a mac. im not even sure that windows can do it... there is a program called MemTurbo and another called MagnaRam i think that might help tho. i used to use mem turbo. it flushes excess garbage out of memory (the stuff that will make the program reload faster after u close it, just in case u happen to open it again). while this doesnt really allocate more RAM to a certain area it does leave more RAM open for other programs to use.
the only real drawback to it is that while it is flushing the RAM (which takes about 5 seconds or so) it really bogs down your whole system. the easiest way to avoid that lag is to use the hotkey for activation and make it run when its convienent for you instead of automatically. it also has different presets for the kinds of things u use the comp most for, graphics apps, games, burning CD's and a couple others.
hope that helps some.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! (Under Heavy Construction) Beware of the non-Tread Marks areas, they have pop up adds, AAHHHH!!!!!

IP:

Michael
posted April 20, 2001 03:01 PM            
I'm not quite sure what you mean...
Do you want some memory, but you don't know how much at the time you write the code?

If this is the case and you are using C, the way to go is using malloc(...) and free(...).
If you are using C++, use 'new' and 'delete'.

Is this what you are asking? Is it of any use?

Michael.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 20, 2001 07:09 PM            
what I'm really looking for is this.

I run a very complicated program called Trojan. I use it to due molecular modeling, and to do calculations for electron orbitals. The calculation take a lot of time to do. The computer that has Trojan, has over 500 MB of RAM. I wanted to give the program as much RAM as i can in order to speed up the process

------------------
LDA Players, Information, and etc...

IP:

SuperUnknown
Administrator
posted May 03, 2001 04:45 AM            
Go to http://www.download.com and do a search on memory.I've had utilities that do what you want before,but, I can't remember hwat the names are.I allocated more memory to my games.Theres a lot of memory just setting there,waiting to be used.These ulitlies will let you tell it where to go so it can be usefull.I was able to bring more memery to TM while I play it.

IP:

Neo
posted May 17, 2001 04:20 PM            
It depends what OS you are using. If you are running Windows 98se, the computer automatically uses "read-ahead optimization" of the disks (just like it does for CD-ROM) to determine how much RAM and virtual mem to allocate to programs upon startup of the prog. Mac (at least 8.5-8.6...not sure about os9 or osX) does not do this; it uses previously set and user-changeable values for RAM settings for each specific prog. Tweeking mem values for progs is one of the cool little quirks about Mac. However, Windows fans can usually be assured of "optimal" speed and performance from the fact that the system shells and progs using the read-ahead optimization will allow RAM to operate freely. This is why your computer takes so long to make complex calculations, it reserves RAM for other prog's. One way to try to speed up the processing of the calculations is to increase the amount of virtual memory (disk RAM) that the computer uses. (go to start->settings->control panel->system->performance->virtual memory) It is best not to mess around with this stuff, unless you know what you are doing and are familiar with your computer's capabilities and spec's, though. [I guess you will have to know disk speeds and cache sizing to use in conjunction with the new settings, in order to self-optimize the thing].

I don't wanna be responsible for crashing your Seymour Cray liquid-cooled 512 MB RAM supermachine over there.

Hope that helps.

-Neo

IP:

Neo
posted May 17, 2001 04:22 PM            
Oh man I just realized how old this thread is. Well, better late than never, I guess. Ha.

Peace,

Neo

IP: