|
Author Topic:   just start'in in fact haven't started
GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 13, 2001 01:07 AM            
ok, well. First of all i'd like to start programming. Now the only things i've heard you all say are O2= t3 x t6 WHAT!? lol what language are you speaking literally! Does anybody know a really good site to start programing. Eventually i'd like to make a Family History web site for my mom's birthday in a few months. What are the differences. And what would you guys Reccomend? thanks

[This message has been edited by GoldAnt_Number1 (edited July 13, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted July 15, 2001 09:18 AM         
A nice, modern language for quick results and relatively clean code would be Java...
Not hard to switch to C++ from Java, either.

Thus, I would recommend http://java.sun.com as a good starting point.

Lots of tutorials there, too.

Maybe you should try and plan a little project once you are familiar with the basic language constructs - aimless programming is not going to take you anywhere.

Hope this helps.

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 15, 2001 07:57 PM            
thanks what sorta project? I always wanted to make a simple 4 player game, but it'd probley be past me right now though. What sorta things can you make/do with java?

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted July 15, 2001 08:31 PM            
DREAMER THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man the turtorial on here is GREAT!!! I went to a site once to learn python i think it was called. A freind wanted me to try it. It was just like that 02 = 4 x 6a lanugage. Made no sense at all.

IP:

dudeaaaaa
posted October 18, 2001 12:38 AM            
currently im programming in vb and wondering if i should change to c++ ???

IP:

RatoN
posted June 25, 2002 02:20 PM            
I'm learning java currently, and let me tell ya, you don't want to jump into any major projects. I figured when I get real good, I may start compeating in Topcoder. Then I think I will learn some C++.

Dudeaaaaa: As far as what Dreamer said, it isn't so hard to swich from Java to C++, and that's true. So maybe you should start with Java first. That's what I recommend. But then again, it sorta depends on what you want to write I suppose.

[This message has been edited by RatoN (edited June 25, 2002).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted June 27, 2002 02:23 AM         
I don't see why you wouldn't want to write larger projects in Java - should actually be easier than in most C++ flavours: use the JavaBeans API.
An excellent (if not the) example for this is http://www.netbeans.org - one of the best Java IDEs around, written in Java (and free).
If processing speed is an issue, Java may be slow, but in many cases the Java native interface (JNI) provides you with a good start for a solution, programming interface parts in Java and libraries in C++/Fortran

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted June 27, 2002 12:06 PM            
ok, i've programmed for ZZT But thats about it, is there somewhere for learning to program from zip information about it?

IP:

RatoN
posted June 28, 2002 04:55 PM            
OOOOOOOOOOOO ZZT!!! I remember that game from a LONG time ago. I also used Megazeux for quite sometime. Got pretty good at it, although I stopped because, for obvious reasons, its not gonna make me rich.

If you gonna start programming in java, start here. http://java.sun.com

IP: