|
Author Topic:   Book
CheshireCat
posted April 10, 2000 05:51 PM            
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201633612/o/qid=955402169/sr=2-1/102-4544793-2112825
"Design Patterns : Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software"

Looks good - I'm thinking of ordering it. Anyone read it? Recommended?

Thanks,
Jason

IP:

Bryan T
posted April 10, 2000 05:59 PM            
I skimmed through it back in college, good stuff if you're new to C++ or if you're starting a large project. Can't help much once you've got 30,000 lines.. Goes through pretty basic stuff, Factories, Proxies, etc..

They may have more advanced stuff in the back, I didn't get that far.

--Bryan

IP:

CheshireCat
posted April 10, 2000 06:09 PM            
Starting on a new (large) project here at work, and my brain has been poisoned by spending 40+ hours a week in legacy cobol and c code for the last couple of years =] All of my C++/Java projects have been done in my not-so-plentiful spare time, so I'm taking a couple weeks to study up on more "modern" design, instead of jumping right in.

IP:

Michael P. Welch
posted April 12, 2000 09:37 PM            
Design Patterns is a wonderful book. After many years of coding in plain C, then moving to C++, I have to say that Design Patterns is the one thing that proved to me that there's virtue in object oriented programming. I personally wouldn't go nuts with OOP design for a large scale game project, but some of the coding concepts you'll pick up are great for tackling all sorts tricky little problems. It's great food for thought, whether you're an OOP fan or not.

IP:

Bryan T
posted April 13, 2000 11:19 AM            
Michael,

Why not use OOP for a large game project? Seems to me that's exactly the type of project that needs it most.. I ask because this is exactly what I'm doing, and have seen no problems so far.

I agree about the book, it is written for may specific cases that come up often in OOP, which become familiar with after using C++ for awhile. It does help get you in the OO mindset.

--Bryan

IP:

Michael P. Welch
posted April 13, 2000 06:28 PM            
I've run into trouble when pushing C++ too hard. I enjoy using the STL, but GCC, the IRIX MIPS Pro compiler, and Visual C++ do not always agree on the use of templates. The lack of support for the ANSI standard worries me about compatibility across multiple platforms when using too much C++. C is a much safer bet, as of today anyways. However, I design everything using OOP, then work my way back to C when building APIs at my current job. (as required by the coding standards) There's nothing like OO design, no matter what language you're using. Big projects require design, and C++ gets your mind moving in the right direction.

I use C++ objects like crazy for most things, but sometimes a more scripted C-style code philosophy is easier for me to work with. It's a personal preference.

IP: