|
Author Topic:   OpenGL Rasterization Optimization
Axe
posted February 24, 2000 08:58 PM            
Hey all,
I'm working on a fairly simple openGL game. On a p3 with SGI software driver I'm getting like 20 fps. (geforce gets 300+ if that matters) At any given time there are no more than like 1000-1200 polys on the screen. I can't figure out why it's running so slow in software though. Here's a rundown on what I am doing.. I am using GL__NEAREST for my textures. using interleaved arrays and drawelements for the polys themselves. GL_T2F_V3F Lighting is off.. Most of my textures are 24 bit TGA files 32x32 pixels. I have blending turned on for 1 poly (scoreboard) and for the 30 or so characters(text) I'm displaying on the screen.
Running in 512x384 res. Changing the color to 16 bit while running the app. In the pixelformat I'm using an 8 bit z-buffer and 16 bits on the RBG color setting. There's more, but I wait and see if others ask before spouting more stuff..
ANy ideas how I can speed this up. I'd like to see it hit 50 fps in software on my p3-500. Help!!!
Oh yeah.. depth testing is turned off most of the time, but there are a few occasions where I need it.

[This message has been edited by Axe (edited February 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Axe (edited February 25, 2000).]

IP:

TheGecko
posted February 25, 2000 01:07 PM            
Why the software mode? I was just thinking since software rendering is quickly dying (or is dead) then you don't have to concern yourself with this headache.

But I don't have a solution to your question.
Sorry

IP:

Axe
posted February 25, 2000 01:25 PM            
Well the game I'm working on isn't targeted at people with mega PCs. It's more like a shareware game that you'd find on softseek. I want to do a lot of pretty things if the 3d hardware is there, but I would also like for it to run at a decent speed (if somewhat uglier, and with a lot less features) in some sort of software rendering, so people with pentium 200s can play as well.

IP:

MarkBatten
posted February 28, 2000 08:40 AM            
20 fps in software sounds pretty good to me. And I'd say 300+ with hardware is an indication that the underlying code is pretty clean.

IP:

Cthulhu
posted February 28, 2000 12:46 PM            
To make software mode faster you'd need to write your own low-level functions. Common API software drivers are not known to be the fastest solution...

IP:

Axe
posted February 28, 2000 11:59 PM            
Well I guess I'm just stuck with crappy performance in software.. I could do my own transformations and render with directdraw or something, but.. I probablt won't.

IP:

Hamish
posted March 02, 2000 05:53 AM            
*At the risk of posting something irrelevant hamish says:*

ID released the source of Q1, perhaps you can see what kind of approaches they have to keep acceptable performance.

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/q1source.zip

Haven't had time to look at the source yet.

Hamish

IP: