|
Author Topic:   Input
Axe
posted January 21, 2000 12:26 PM            
Hey all,
Right now in my app, I'm using DirectInput to handle the keyboard and joystick.. This breaks on NT of course. I can always fall back on default windows handling for the kb and joystick, but that's annoying. having 2 entirely different input paths seems like a lot of unnecessary code.. I could use windows handling all the time, but I like using DInput for the joystick. It is a lot better IMO for the joystick. Basically, I'm just wondering how you guys handle this kind of stuff..

-Joe

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 23, 2000 05:16 PM           
I use plain old Windows input handling for everything in Tread Marks, including mouse, joystick, and keyboard. Seems fast enough to me, and the standard Windows joystick interface does give you access to 4 axes and at least 8 buttons.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Tim
posted January 23, 2000 09:48 PM            

Personally, I'd say screw NT.
1. the people most likely to play games use Win9x.

2. Win2k/NT5.0 will ahve DX7, so the problem goes away. These ship next month.

IP:

Kaeto
posted January 24, 2000 12:16 PM            
Unless you are like Seumas and program under NT 'cuz you despise 9x

IP:

Axe
posted January 25, 2000 01:47 AM            
Thanks for the info guys.. I hate 9x.. but do develop on it for now.. NT is to slow for gaming.. and I do like to play a litle.. maybe after win2k ships.. I'll dual boot.
I may just fall back on windows input handling.. I'm using it for the mouse now.. and the joystick stuff seems pretty straight forward. Anyway.. Thanks again.

IP:

Kaeto
posted February 02, 2000 01:03 PM            
"NT is too slow for gaming"
What the heck? I thought stuff ran faster under NT...

IP:

Axe
posted February 12, 2000 08:21 PM            
I've noticed that winnt yields around 20% performance decrease in most 3d games. Q3 for instance.. Win2k is slower as well.

IP: