|
Author Topic:   why opengl?
kenny
posted January 13, 2000 11:13 PM            
seumas(spell?), why did you chose opengl instead of directx? i dont know much about either(accept that microsoft sucks) and was wondering what made you partial to one or the other?

IP:

kenny
posted January 13, 2000 11:18 PM            
i mean for treadmarks....

IP:

MarkBatten
posted January 14, 2000 08:50 AM            
I had hoped it was so TM could easily be ported to other platforms (like mine, the Mac), but unfortunately LDA doesn't seem interested... <sigh> But aside from cross-platform capability, I find many more GL programming resources than directx resources. My impression, though, is that you can accomplish the same tasks with both APIs.

IP:

kenny
posted January 14, 2000 03:49 PM            
yes they seem about the same ability to me too...unless there is something i dont know about open gl i seem the same to me(generate about as many errors too)

thats why i asked though

IP:

kaber0111
posted January 14, 2000 08:43 PM            
directx?
i think you mean D3D.
well most developers like my self see that OpenGL is just a better designed API. D3D is getting better and better every release and I think by Directx 8 or Directx 9 they will have a better package to offer developers over OpenGL. But for know OpenGL is the way to go. Cross-platform devlopment really does not make people to much money when compared to just windows. For example some people like Epics Tim Sweeney will be pushing D3D engine code more in there next engine. One of these reasons is because microsoft is taking large strides in there API, while OpenGL seems to be standing still. OpenGL has been making some progress but not as rapidly as Microsoft. Also on side thought SGI is losing big money. I am sure that is playing a factor also.
peace.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 14, 2000 08:54 PM           
The main practical reason is that I refuse to develop under Windows95/98, so since OpenGL works with hardware acceleration under Windows NT, that's what I use. I also dislike DirectX in general, and do like using the OpenGL API.

We are still interested in ports, but there's a heck of a lot of other stuff to do around here too.

The game just started shipping for Windows, for starters.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

kaber0111
posted January 14, 2000 10:51 PM            
hey I heard you are going to cgdc. congrats. do you plan to right any articles about some of the stuff you included into your engine. like a whitepaper or something to that nature.
thanks
akbar A.

IP:

kenny
posted January 14, 2000 11:05 PM            
how much skill does it take to make your own open gl or direct3d?

i just know a litle bit of c/c++ nothing huge like our guy seumas over here....

IP:

kaber0111
posted January 14, 2000 11:28 PM            
in english?
i did not understand you.

IP:

kaber0111
posted January 14, 2000 11:43 PM            
well i think what you were trying to ask was what does it take to create your own 3d engine in Direct3D or OpenGL.
Well it does not take any skill I will tell yout that right now. Programming is hard work, hard work and more hard work. Skill only lasts you the first 3-5 days of programming (sure it is helpful but you don't need any of it).
After that it really is your determination that will help you complete what you have started. It does not matter how skilled you are if you are not determined or hard working you won't go very far.
good luck.
akbar A.

IP:

kenny
posted January 15, 2000 02:56 PM            
yes i was asking what you answerd in the second post....i havent deen doing much programming(a total of a week now) and all i know is syntax and not the object orinted stuff very well(pointers, classes, constructors, virtual functions) i did quite a bit of assembly langugace for a motorola HC6811 and that was fun but i dont kow where to start with assembly on the pentium(in short, i dont have the skills yet)

mostly my question is now....what languge do you need to use do write a API such as open gl.

IP:

kaber0111
posted January 16, 2000 10:39 PM            
you want to write an API?
that is just going to be a waste of time. If someone has already done something go ahead and use it. There is no shame. Why reinvent the wheel. Just use what it has made and add on to it. Before you start programming the best thing you are going to want to do is see what has been done.

IP:

Bryan T
posted January 17, 2000 11:07 AM            
Kenny,

You can use any language to write an API (Application Programming Interface) or program. Most of the industry uses 'C' or 'C++' right now. However there is a large swath of other languages to explore, Visual Basic, Smalltalk, Java, Pascal, LISP, and Fortran to name a few (I personally know programmers who make their living on each of those languages).

An API is really just a package of functions someone else wrote. Most APIs are written because they cover complex areas that are used frequently and no one likes to re-write the same code over and over. For instance OpenGL is an API for getting pretty 3D graphics.

It would not be usefull for you to write an API at this stage. Rather, try writing some games or utility programs to get an understanding of the general programming spectrum. I began by writing online games for my local BBS system back in the 80s.

Good luck with your work, (and I disagree with kaber0111; there is skill in programming but it's sometimes hard to see with all the sweat in your eyes).

--Bryan

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted January 17, 2000 05:43 PM           
Skill is definitely a big part of programming. You can have all the focus and determination in the world, but if you don't have the skills, you'll just be creating a lot of mediocre end results. Conversely if all you have is skill, you might make a few wonderful gems, but you'll never finish anything. You need skill and determination in about equal parts to make a good product and get it finished quickly.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

kaber0111
posted January 17, 2000 09:29 PM            
true, true. I did not look at it like that.

IP:

kenny
posted January 17, 2000 11:06 PM            
kaber0111,

i was just wondering what the dude who made open gl had to go though...

Brian T,

thanks dude thats exacly answerd my question

IP: