|
Author Topic:   Texture mapping terrain
Cthulhu
posted December 28, 1999 02:34 PM            
How is terrain texturing (base texture, not the detail texture...yet) done in Tread Marks and all the other games with textured polygon terrain? Currently I just use 256x256 bitmap for terrain of same size but when taking a closer look, filtering looks very ugly.

Should I just use more accurate textures than that pixel per lowest-level diamond? Doesn't that eat all the vid-card memory?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 28, 1999 09:47 PM           
Tread Marks does just what you're doing, using a texture map with one texel per height map sample, though in Tread Marks the height samples are only 1 meter apart and the vehicles are often 8 meters long.

I'm not that familiar with the methods other games use, but most of them seem to either use a set of tiling color textures which are selected per-polygon (though those engines usually don't use LOD, and just have a static mesh for terrain), or texture tiles similar to the tile blocks used to create maps in 2D games.

Personally I think a set of unique textures for the whole map is the way to go (no color texels are repeated), since you can bake your lighting (and other things such as tread/skid marks) into the texture. You may just need to increase the resolution of your unique textures. Also, detail texturing makes a big difference when used with lower resolution color textures.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Cthulhu
posted December 29, 1999 07:11 AM            
Got it! It was dithering settings. Rest of the bad looks are done by my 3dfx card

[This message has been edited by Cthulhu (edited December 29, 1999).]

IP: