|
Author Topic:   Vertex morphing
Helix
posted December 07, 1999 01:32 PM         
I have a question about the implementation of vertex morphing. Basically its a pseudo-ROAM implementation that has no frame-to-frame coherence (similar to tread marks i'm guessing). My problem is that i'm not to sure how to use the roam priority function to give me a value from 0-1 to represent how far in the split i need to go (ie 0 represents fully split and 1 represents just split so vertex height will be average of v0 and v1). I was thinking that is probably possible to do by having a field in the bintritree structure but i'm unsure how since i dont want to create cracks in the terrain by not keeping the dependencies in check (ie the apex of one triangle could be the v0 or v1 of another triangle). Any suggestions, hints, etc?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 22, 1999 03:08 AM           
I do vertex morphing by declaring a range of variance values _just past_ the point of the triangle being split which are "fuzzy", and determine the amount of vertex morph, from none (looks the same as if tri isn't split) to full (looks as if tri is split normally). This fuzzy value, which goes from 0 to 1, is stored in a member of the binary triangle structure. The way I get around bottom-neighboring tris having different morph amounts is simply to average their morph amounts together when making the rendering pass. It's a little hacky, but it seems to work for me.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: