|
Author Topic:   UDP and MTU
TimSmith
posted December 02, 1999 10:00 AM            
I was wondering how do game programmers using UDP deal with widly varing MTU problem.

Do people just hard code the software to us the 1500 as the MTU and deal with the packet splitting problem, or do people try to detect the MTU for a path between the server and the client?

Tim

IP:

Zoombapup
posted December 05, 1999 01:23 PM            
Generally, It depends on how much information is coalesced(sp) between sends. In general UDP is meant for fast delivery where transmission isnt required to be guaranteed, this means that waiting to send greater packets is a bit of a loss (its the latency we are worried about, not the bandwidth). If packets can be coalesced, I try and use TCP for delivery and send compressed coalesced packets. In general if you are sending lots of information, and are coalescing(wish i could spell that word), then I would use TCP, because by the very fact that you are coalescing, it implies you arent sending anything latency critical. Of course, its horses for courses, you are the only one who knows the needs of your app.

------------------
Programmer - Team17 Software Ltd. (Although probably not endorsed by them :))

IP:

TimSmith
posted December 05, 1999 10:46 PM            
Yeah, true. As it turns out we switched over to TCP for the data I was concerned about.

Thanks for the reply...

Tim

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted December 22, 1999 03:12 AM           
In Tread Marks I hard code netork packets at 900-and-some bytes and simply don't let them go out any bigger. I haven't encountered a problem yet, though I did have to use ZLIB (wonderful little freely useable compression library) to compress some larger data down to reliably fit within my packet size limits.

See:
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: