unregistered
posted October 17, 1999 04:13 AM           
http://slashdot.org/interviews/99/10/15/1012230.shtml

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

JohnMancine
posted October 17, 1999 08:03 AM            
Overall, I thought this was a great interview. It didn't at all surprise to me to hear that he was an arrogant jerk when he was younger (some of that arrogance shines through in full force in some of his interview i think.)
It was great to hear him defend WinNT and Microsoft for a change... and also, it was even better to hear him say that he respected Tim Sweeney's work.

I've always admired Sweeney more then Carmack. Sweeney is not only an excellent coder... but a nice guy(as far as i can tell.). Carmack, on the other hand, is a great coder... but seems to be quite arrogant in some interviews, therefor losing a lot of respect from me.

my .02 ...
john

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 02:44 PM           
I don't know, Carmack has never really seemed arrogant to me. He doesn't mince words with his opinions, and he has some fairly strong opinions, but the thing is they're mostly correct, I think.

I respect him a lot, for doing his own thing and not selling out. His work ethic is also extraordinary.

------------------

IP:

JohnMancine
posted October 18, 1999 05:28 PM            
Hmm.. I don't know.
Heres an example of what erks me about him sometimes...
Carmack: "Q3A is a game I'd like to play... unlike Duke Nukem 3D which, though it sold more copies then Quake, was a patchwork of one-shot gags. Its not a program I'd be proud to write." (PC Accelerator)

If I wrote Duke Nukem... I would be damn proud. It was actually a _fun_ game, unlike Quake. IMHO.

What drives me crazy is because he IS Carmack, he is always given the upper hand no matter what.

Ok... I'm starting to rant. I best stop now. =]

Although I do agree. He is a workhorse. No doubt about it.

John

IP:

BrianSharp
posted October 29, 1999 03:53 AM            
So I'm kind of a Carmack junkie myself. I've always assumed that when he says things that sound condescending, he's just speaking his mind and it's really just a lack of tact and subtlety that make it shine through that way.

He's also a great coder, but I've come to question his vision from time to time. For instance, he used to debunk z-buffering as useless and inappropriate. Recently (for Quake 3) id's position was that OpenGL lighting was simplistic enough to be useless. Now, from what I hear, he's psyched for OpenGL lighting. I guess.

-Brian

IP:

JohnMancine
posted October 29, 1999 11:34 AM            
Yes, I agree with you. I think although he comes across as arrogant, it may not actually mean he is. I think the unfortunate reality is that he suffers from being socially-akward like a lot of people in the computer field. Not to say he is a bad guy, but just that he may not know how to communicate all to well. On one hand, this can be good... because he is brutally honest... but sometimes its not good at all.

John

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 29, 1999 07:37 PM           
Hey Brian, I was wondering if you'd show up around these parts.

About his Duke Nukem comments, I mostly agree... I didn't like Duke Nukem very much, and never played more than the demo. The controls were way too complicated for me, and the humor wore off fairly quickly. Sort of like Redneck Rampage; the demo was good for a night of howling laughter, but it didn't inspire a purchase of the game.

As for vision, at least he's smart/humble enough to change his vision as the situation changes. If he could predict the future perfectly, he'd be rich(er). Remember that he did use write-only z-buffering for the architecture with read-write z-buffering for the models way back in Quake 1 with software rendering. As for OpenGL lighting, he's probably coming around as the triangle densities go through the roof. I still think OGL lighting is totally inappropriate for terrain, large architecture, or anything else which may have serious LOD applied and where large triangles may be visible. For smaller objects it's should be great with hardware lighting. And even back in Quake 1, player models were lit with what was essentially OpenGL style lighting.

------------------

IP: