|
Author Topic:   3D Scene Graph API
LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 27, 1999 08:55 PM           
I haven't tried it yet, but www.viskit.com has an OpenGL and Direct3D scene graph (basically, you feed it 3D models, and it works out the best way to display them all quickly), which also does 3D sound, for only $99. (Yeah, ninety-nine.)

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

Oiler
posted September 29, 1999 07:53 PM            
I have been using this for about 8 months now and it is a really good api. Only drawback to this API is the so-so documentation. Other than that it is an excellent buy. Im actually doing my ROAM implentation in it (which is almost done).

Oiler

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 02, 1999 01:49 AM           
How does it work when you're modifying your mesh every single frame?

------------------

IP:

Oiler
posted October 04, 1999 12:00 AM            
Well how I have it setup right now is that the terrain lives in a vkGeom (abstract class for geometry) and every frame a camera traverses the scene graph. When it gets to the terrain I do the cull\split\merge based on the cameras frustum. Each vkGeom has a vertex array attached and there are quite a few different implementations of the vertex array class (interleaved, growable etc). For my initial first pass I am going to use the growable array and just maintain it at run time.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 04, 1999 06:12 AM           
Cool! I guess I assumed a scene graph like that would abstract the geometry more, and not let you get access to actual vertex arrays. That sounds pretty powerful if it does.

------------------

IP: