|
Author Topic:   Getting Started
DarkFrog
posted September 21, 1999 07:58 PM            
I just got a good C++ compiler in my hands, and I am currently left in the dust of a summer workshop inwhich I helped make a pretty nifty game, catch is, The library stays there, so now I need to know, what books I should get to get me started with graphics,userinput,sound,etc.
(I already have done some interesting number crunching simulations in VBasic already, and am up to the point of learning C++ classes)

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted September 23, 1999 06:47 AM           
You might try Windows Game Programming for Dummies, which comes with a game programming library which I know was used to make at least one good shareware game. See:
http://www.chaotica.u-net.com/

Or Programming Windows 95 by Petzold if you want a good introduction to general application oriented Windows API calls without MFC.

And be sure to browse through www.gamedev.net for a while, too.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP:

DarkFrog
posted October 10, 1999 07:37 PM            
I tried out the first book you recommened, and read it cover to cover before I popped in the cd, but to no avail, I can't get any of the damn examples to work (at least the non-console ones)
The whole thing boils down to one problem, where the background fill is defined for the window. For some reason, the compiler generates an error, requesting for an exclusive cast (wha?), so I tried casting it, but all my attemps to fumble around fixing it, including a copy and paste of the "hello world" that works for some reason, still didn't kill the bugger.
Any Ideas?

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 11, 1999 03:55 AM           
I'm not that familiar with the example code in Windows Game Programming... Did you try putting NULL in instead of a handle to a brush or whatever is supposed to be there?

------------------

IP:

DarkFrog
posted October 12, 1999 08:01 PM            
I tried that, along with at least 15 attemps to cast the function, but to no avail (the NULL attemp results in 17 errors, all from functions I never knew existed)
Is there any chance that you have on hand a "library" for just doing graphics (I mainly want to try out back-buffer burning, mainly with using RGB...)
So far you have been a great person to ask for how to get started, thanks!

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 16, 1999 10:00 PM           
DarkFrog,

Well, you could always try the BackBuffer code on my programming page. It handles basic windowed and full screen graphics display for you, and comes with a simple buffer burning demonstration app in fact.

------------------

IP:

DarkFrog
posted October 16, 1999 10:51 PM            
Thanks, I found the BackBuffer zip, set it up, and in a couple of hours I got a green radar blip thingy working using the burn, and I'm currently working on making a heavily commented template for BackBuffer so I can set out on making a library for my classmates (Borland C++ my ass!, VC++ all the way...) anyway, I've run into a brick wall, I can compile the whole thing and functions I'm writing to make lines, spheres and such, BUT I can't figure out how to implement all of it, can you tell me how I make a header to go with a .lib that I compile for classmates? (and is it ok for me to include Welch's and your code in the lib?)
Keep up the good work, this site has been an excellent inspiration for me, thanks.

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted October 18, 1999 01:50 PM           
You should just need a normal header, as you would for a non-lib module. If you look at the headers for BackBuffer and CreateDib, you should see the normal manner in which classes and functions are declared in headers.

If you want your lib to be cross platform/cross compiler version, you'll probably want to write a C-only interface to all the needed functionality (including, e.g., a bunch of C functions that act on a single static global BackBuffer object), and wrap the header in:

extern "C" {

};

To make the linkage C-style.

There shouldn't be any problem using our code compiled as a LIB, as long as the docs for the lib mention the BackBuffer/CDib code it uses, and that any programs that use the lib have to include the same mention. I think this is covered in the code license.

------------------

IP:

DarkFrog
posted October 18, 1999 05:06 PM            
Thanks, I made a large change in the whole structure of FrogSkin (brought to you by FrogTech ), the entire bundle is organized as modules of .cpp and header files, each being reffered to by the primary header, which only has three lines of actual code (includes of the three module headers), all of the modules are independant of each other (like DirectX ), and currently after a couple of days, I have the input module I built from scratch completely working, and am about to build on BB and CDIB to make a draw library, sound will be seal
I hope this whole thing gets pulled off, but it does really seem to be the best thing if you create your own library

IP:

Bwuce Wee
posted November 05, 1999 06:59 AM            
Your point about building your own library..
I agree.
I've been trying to learn C++ sufficiently to make a game, but I made the mistake of searching for some library to use.
As it turns out, its better to simply make your own, just as you said.
The experience you gain in doing so will be beneficial anyway.

So, Im gonna start out doing that too.

------------------
--------------
Light? I haven't even found the tunnel!!

IP: