|
Author Topic:   DOS C++ programmer -> Windows
Spider-X
posted August 28, 1999 11:21 AM            
I started programming back in '94, using C++ after years of using BASIC, mainly cause C++ compiled code is tons faster than interpreted. Anyhow, I started programming in DOS and my goal was to make a game. Well, I didn't know what type of game, but it was going to be sprite based, so I made a sprite editor, then I knew it was going to have enemies and stuff so I made an enemy database editor... anyways, to make a long story short, I got half the game assembled, then it became a mess... we didn't use the OOP techniques we learned efficiently enough, and it was *gasp* spaghetti code. And at that time, I decided to do a complete rewrite. Now, at this point the game was like 2 years into development and already it was outdated. So, I wanted to switch to a DirectX / Windows game... I looked at some sample windows code and said to myself "holy ****!" ok so now I want to learn how to program for Windows (as I understand it's completely different from DOS). What books would you reccomend getting? How did you learn? Did you go from DOS to Windows, or did you start with Windows?

I also want to contribute some of my free time to helping out some of those open source projects but its like really hard for me to just "jump right in". Do you have any experience in that field either? Anyone?

Thanks,
Derek Wilson
aka Spider-X

IP:

LDA Seumas
unregistered
posted August 28, 1999 12:04 PM           
I went from the Amiga straight into Windows, and have never actually written a DOS program in my life. Sorry I can't help you with specifics in that area.

I picked up Windows programming through a number of books. Petzold's Programming Windows 95 was good for the basics of the Win32 API, avoiding MFC (which I avoid). For an introduction to DirectX I found DirectDraw Programming by Brett Timmins to be great, but it might be a bit out of date these days.

I feel a bit like a parrot, but you might want to download the BackBuffer source code from my web site. In addition to the buffer class, which encapsulates simple frame buffer access for windowed (DibSection) and full screen (DirectDraw) modes, it also has a simple non-MFC Win32 API example program, which shows how simple a Windows app that does something that looks cool can be.

I haven't been involved in any Open Source projects yet either, so maybe someone who has can chip in their $0.02.

------------------
-- Seumas McNally, Lead Programmer, Longbow Digital Arts

IP: