|
Author Topic:   What happened?
JamesC
posted July 31, 2000 10:32 AM            
All the messages are missing...

IP:

Diragor
posted July 31, 2000 01:46 PM            
I went to the programming page and noticed there is a link to a post on this message board, /forums/archive/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000016.html , that still works. With a little experimentation I found that the old messages appear to still be there but the new threads are overwriting the old files. See for yourself; just use that URL and change the number in the filename. I've considered whipping up a quick app to download and archive all the old files and rename them according to the html page title (which is the same as the subject of the thread), because there's some extremely valuable info to be found in those posts.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted July 31, 2000 02:18 PM            
Yes...please do....

I'd hate to loose this information as it contains more of Seumas than any of the other Forums.

Jim

IP:

Diragor
posted July 31, 2000 03:20 PM            
OK, I've done it. I'm in the process of downloading all 179 threads now (minus the first three, which have already been overwritten). Tonight I'm going to add a couple little features and post the application on my website as an Ultimate BBS Archiver or something. If you're interested Jim, I could compile the archived files into a CHM and you could post it on the programming page. Looks like the uncompressed files are going to total around 3-4 MB, so the compressed archive should be a decent size for downloading. I'm going to be going through the stuff anyway, so maybe I could even weed out the junk (one-post threads, links to old news stories, etc)?

IP:

Diragor
posted July 31, 2000 03:41 PM            
All done . A zip file containing all the old threads is only 705K. I'm going to redownload the files from home later since I've tweaked the app to handle file naming better (specifically illegal filename characters in the page titles) and the ISDN line here at work sucks big time (got cable at home). I'll post a zip on my website and post the link here.

IP:

JamesC
posted July 31, 2000 03:53 PM            
Wow Diragor, quick thinking and quick work... so what exactly is involved in getting these messages back into a viewable format? If the Message board is having problems, I'd kinda like to keep a backup of all the old posts, as this board has been the most valuable resource for terrain rendering on the entire internet for me.

IP:

Diragor
posted July 31, 2000 07:01 PM            
I don't know what would have to be done to get the old messages back onto the board, if that's what you mean, because I'm not familiar with the administration of the UBB. However, I now have copies of all the old messages in the viewable format of plain old html files (one per thread), so when I post the zip file (assuming that's ok with LDA) you'll be able to download and read them.

IP:

Diragor
posted July 31, 2000 09:26 PM            
Alright, here you go:
http://aisle4.pair.com/LDA-Programming.zip

It's about 700kb. Glad all this could be saved, there's some great stuff in there.

IP:

Prophylon
posted August 06, 2000 03:21 PM            
Whoa great work matey!

*cheers*

At least now Bryan can keep referring me to older posts when I ask stupid things wheheh :-)

IP:

Bryan T
posted August 08, 2000 10:59 PM            
Great work, Diragor! Downloading now...

Sorry for the lack of attentiveness friends, I've been losing the battle for time to work on my projects. I may have to bow out for awhile.

My new address is: mailto:bryan.turner@pobox.com

--Bryan

IP: