|
Author Topic:   TM Mod Database website
Random Chaos
posted June 19, 2005 07:25 PM            
Just bringing an alert to everyone here: My website is currently down. Apparently my host's server crashed so they moved my site to a new server.

They have recovered all the mod zips, but they are lacking the database and webserver material. I have local backups on my system of all this information, but I am waiting until they finish trying to recover a different site I was running for a freind who's database I did not have a backup of.

I expect the site to be back up within a few days. Until then, if you need a specific mod browse the ftp server at: ftp://www.vorklift.com/pub/tmdb/

--RC

IP:

BamZipPow
posted June 19, 2005 09:04 PM            
Thanks fer the heads up!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 19, 2005 10:59 PM            
Yesterday I could have sworn I had a backup of the database, but I searched everywhere and couldn't find a *.sql for the database I was missing.

So I sent in a service request hoping the ISP could recover that database. It was for a wiki for a freind's RPG. They said they would try to recover it and get back to me.

Today I am going to burn a CD backup of some data for storage at an offsite location, and guess what I find? Sitting in one of my "I need to burn this but haven't gotten around to it yet" directories is a copy of my missing database dump! Granted, it is about 2 months old, but that Wiki doesn't get much activity. Constructing 2 months is relatively easy I hope. Constructing everything before that? A pain...

So, I am currently working on uploading my site - lots and lots of it. I probably won't be finished by tomorrow. Might not have it all going by Tuesday. But by the end of Wednesday I should get it done definately (I don't work Wed, so I will have the time to work on the site).

--RC

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 20, 2005 09:35 PM            
Ok, new update:

Server is working, but I have found that a lot of the mods on the FTP are missing.

As a result I am going to hold off on getting the site fully functional. I am a week away from getting DSL, and given how loing it will take to upload all these mods over a 56k (again!) I think, for all sanity purposes, that waiting for DSL is best.

--RC

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted June 21, 2005 04:13 AM            
There is nothing like a major loss of data to crystallise
ones backup routine

good luck with the data recovery

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 21, 2005 07:19 AM            
Well, my "backup routine" has always been "backup the installers and the data, not the HD as a whole" and it seems to work. I mean, how do you back up 300GBs of HD without spending a fortune on tape backup hardware?

As for my server, they have always specifically stated in their contract that they do not guarentee server data in the case of a server crash and that they do not do backups for the user. They do provide backup tools in the user's admin panel to download the server's data files to the user's harddisk (oh wow...this is useful on a 56k!).

Well, I had almost everything backed up. All I seemed to be missing was the one database that I'd made for that freind and I kept saying, "I know I backed it up, but where did I put it?"

Well, that answered the question. It was dropped on a DVD rather then in my Web Data dir. And I still believe I have to burn that dvd...though I have to check...

Backups tend to sit in my "to burn" directory for a while. I guess that is fairly safe since it is a seperate HD from where most of my data is stored.

IP:

jujaga
posted June 21, 2005 12:21 PM         
May I wish you the best of luck when practicing the ancient art of backup.
Question, is the 300GB HD even half full? I got a 120GB HD and it's only 20% used. U could perhaps buy an external hard drive compared to the amount of data/budget, and backup there instead. Just food for thought...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! TI-89T!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0.4 Rocks!!!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 23, 2005 08:32 PM            
Well, two things:

1: DSL was installed 5 days earlier then they said, and went online today.
2: My 300GB drive has about 160GBs of space used. Renders, graphics, game demos, and apps take up most of it. Actually, Tread Marks I think takes up something like 3% of my used drive space

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 23, 2005 08:33 PM            
Oh yeah - with DSL working I'll start uploading the missing mods this weekend. Probably will be finished in an hour or two.

IP:

jujaga
posted June 23, 2005 08:39 PM         
Yay!

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! TI-89T!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0.4 Rocks!!!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 26, 2005 06:53 PM            
Hmmm.

I think "most" of the stuff is up. I have to go into the map dirs and compare file sizes (yuck!) to make sure everything survived.

If you hit something that's broken, give me an e-mail since I don't tend to check this forum regularly anymore.

------------------
Random Chaos

Admin for Tread Marks Modifications Database
Please add a link to my site to improve Google rankings ;)
randomc@treadmarks.cjb.net

IP: