|
Author Topic:   Just a hello & a few questions...
Avian
posted June 05, 2005 04:14 PM         
Hi to all,

I've been an avid player of treadmarks for about 2 years now. It's been really valuable as my 'light relief' game when taxing flight sims are just too much effort!

Anyway, I was wondering how often we all play online? When would be the best time to participate in a race/DM? Do i need to join a clan?
I've tried to play online once or twice, but all I can see are AI tanks. What have I done wrong here?

I've recently started to mod TM to my heart's content; I've made the handling/armour of the tanks a little more realistic, with a greater variation between the tanks based on their size. I've also altered weaponry along the same lines; Dwarf has an 80mm cannon, while Claymore packs a massive 240mm! Oh yes, and all the main guns now recoil.

This brings me onto another question; is it advisable to have 2 installs for online/offline?

Hopefully se y'all online sometime!

Thanks a bundle.

IP:

jujaga
posted June 05, 2005 06:35 PM         
Hi Avion! I'll try to answer all of your questions in the shortest way possible. Usually, people can be found on the default LDA server, the famous 38.112.120.109:12300 one. Not all the time someone joins the server, but there usually is at least one person about 50% of the time. The best time to participate in races and DM's are when they are announced in this forum. It's usually announced about 1-2 days before the event, and it usually happens during the evening (assuming you are living in North America). Also, you can join a clan if you so desire, but only if you want to be in a clan, and if you want to be in clan wars. I lead the newest clan in TM, Clan Modulus (MOD), having 3 great members (including myself, Tank Target, and Unescapable). It's still a small clan, but it will grow bigger and stronger. Anyways, there is nothing wrong with seeing all AI tanks, that just means noone is playing TM except you at the moment. The modding part, go for it! If you want to publish your mods, just ask around here (this forum). I'm sure someone will be interested in your mods. Also, if you wish to have 2 installs for online/offline, you can, no big deal, just make sure you can tell the difference, and have them be installed in different directories. I personally just use a program called "TM Addons Selector", created by one of our great fellow TM'ers around here. That program allows you to have 'virtual' like installations of TM, but it's all in one, of course it's only the amount of mods that change. Quite useful for online/offline interchanging. I think you can find it at http://treadmarks.boomstickjoes.com/ in the downloads section, utilities. U need the latest .NET Framework to use it however. You can get that at http://www.microsoft.com . Other than that, I believe I answered all the questions. Wow, I really need to learn how to use paragraphs. If you ever need anything else, just let your fellow TM'ers know.

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! TI-89T!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0.4 Rocks!!!

IP:

posted June 05, 2005 07:56 PM            
Welcome to the TM community.

IP:

coaxs
posted June 05, 2005 09:15 PM            
Welcome, you can also find a bunch of stuff from my site. Click Sig.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

pablito
posted June 05, 2005 10:04 PM            
Welcome Avian!

IP:

Avian
posted June 06, 2005 05:32 AM         
Cheers jujaga, that's all my questions answered!

I'll keep track of the forum to find an event. I'm in the UK, but i'm sure the times will be fine.

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted June 06, 2005 12:53 PM            
Hey Avian and welcome. Nice to see another UKer. I'm in Scotland myself but we have a few people from UK: Matrix, Grind and Click, Robojaws and a couple of others (can't think of right now sorry).

A good time to go on is usually around 12-4am GMT since we're 5 hours ahead of a good body of the community's time zone.

IP:

Avian
posted June 07, 2005 06:21 AM         
Hmmm... I can't find the addons selector on boomstick joe's. Google didn't seem to find it either. Will it make a difference if I, say, enter a stock game with my modded setup?

Also, do i need to download certain addon packs to play on certain servers? All signs point to yes, but I'm sure the "synching entities" yielded the extra weapons (which i didn't already have) for me (a turret mounted mass driver springs to mind).

I'm confused...

Thanks

IP:

kv
posted June 07, 2005 08:23 AM            
the addons switcher on boomstickjoes is under tools and utilities in the downloads section. "TMSelSetUp.msi" is what you are looking for.

as for required server downloads, some servers do, and others don't, depending on what mods they have.

A Server Side Only, or SSO, modded server only uses entity files for its' modifications. These files are automatically downloaded to your computer when you connect, and will remain there as long as you are connected to that server.

As for non-SSO servers, they are running mods that have custom models, textures, or sounds. These files are not downloaded when connecting to a server and must be downloaded seperately. Most server admins will place a link in the server description for where you can download the required mods for that server.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 07, 2005 09:02 AM            
Here's a direct link to the page where the TMSelSetUp.msi file is on:

http://treadmarks.boomstickjoes.com/main.php?page=BJS/downloads_Tools.php&group=BJS&uid=&

My site is fairly large so stuff gets buried. LOL

IP:

Avian
posted June 07, 2005 10:22 AM         
Thanks, about to download. I'm sure i'll figure it out. If not, i'm sure i could just create multiple addon folders and rename them.

That's all i need for now (i think!)

Thanks

IP:

jujaga
posted June 07, 2005 08:15 PM         
Yep, only thing is that TM Addons selector does the renaming of the Addons folder for you. Yep, a good way to not go to the folder every time.

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! TI-89T!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0.4 Rocks!!!

IP:

harmless
posted June 08, 2005 04:33 AM            
hello and welcome!

to find the other uk'ers just do a google search for the death match federation. matrix hosts a forum that is TM related, and lives in bonny england... but you do have to join his forum first before you can view or post.

the only real reason to join a clan would be to participate in clan wars, which are held on the 4th sunday of each month. if you don't care about clan wars, then there is no real reason to join one.

with your mods, if you ever want to share them with the world at large, i have a lot of unsed web space, and would be more than happy to host any and all of your mods. i already host a rather large selection of mods. the more the merrier. just attach them in an email to me.

my email is michael at hallsted dot com

you can actually have as many installs as you have disk space, just copy the TM folder to a new location, rename it, and create a new shortcut.

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

[This message has been edited by harmless (edited June 08, 2005).]

IP: