This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3  |
Author Topic:   Ranked DDM, Sunday 3/13, 5 PST 8 EST 1 GMT
kv
posted March 11, 2005 06:54 PM            
Go get your game on.

IP:

jujaga
posted March 11, 2005 07:54 PM         
I'd love to go, but because my connection won't allow me anymore, I'll have to sit this one out... Netscape sucks...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

pablito
posted March 11, 2005 10:46 PM            
300 ping sucks... i used to pay a proxy server for 20 a year that would give me a "virtual gateway" maybe other people have more ideas..?

IP:

jujaga
posted March 11, 2005 11:01 PM         
Thing is, I use a modem, and 300 is as best as can be. But, that's not the problem. I can't even connect the SERVER!!! IT MAKES ME MAD!!! GRRR!!!!! Anyways, I am still trying to figure it out, but until then, I am stuck TM-less, or RB/RBT-less for that matter. It feels like I am cut from civilization... WAAAH!!!

------------------

IP:

coaxs
posted March 12, 2005 03:29 AM            
See you there, except for jujaga.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 12, 2005 07:42 AM            
300 ping is the perfect norm for modems..... i doubt youll achieve a lower ping, 300 is quite good. If you cant connect, look at your firewall software.

Switch it off first and try to connect, if you can, then switch it back on, enter the TM details (tm.exe - port numbers etc) and try again.

Tip: If youre using Norton Firewall, and have recently modified (patched , reinstalled, etc) any TM main files, youll need to re-enter them to be allowed through your firewall.

IP:

pablito
posted March 12, 2005 01:41 PM            
well maybe someday dsl will be affordable for everyone clan battles will be more fun if everybody had a fast connection

IP:

jujaga
posted March 12, 2005 02:42 PM         
True, DSL would be much better for everyone, but that is still just a dream... By the way matrix, even when I disabled the firewall completely, it still doesn't work, leading to the conclusion that the problem comes from the ISP... like I said, Netscape sucks...

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 12, 2005 02:54 PM            
If youre on XP, see if your XP firewall is on too...... might be, never know, worth a check..

btw Pabs, 8Meg DSL coming my way back end of the year - CAN'T WAIT !! lol ....

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited March 12, 2005).]

IP:

pablito
posted March 12, 2005 04:07 PM            
damg, that's cool... there's something you can truly pick on americans... europeans have a better network structure.. I know almost everyone has fast connections for less money... I have faith in competition thought, satellite services, SBC and other companies are trying to bring mass dsl subscribers

IP:

jujaga
posted March 12, 2005 05:10 PM         
I have checked every single possible variable I can possibly think of that could be the problem. All have lead to the final conclusion that it is the ISP that is the problem, DANG NETSCAPE!!!, horrible. And worst of all, I am stuck with it until my parents want to change ISP's, so, therefore, I can guarantee that I won't be on the battlefield until that happens... however, I can always still communicate by every other means... this sucks...

------------------

IP:

synack
posted March 12, 2005 06:55 PM         
This has been frustrating me for awhile, so now I just have to speak up and disagree.

I do not believe it's your ISP, nor is it Netscape.

If you have a functioning Internet connection, (i.e., you can access this BBS and other websites), then you can access TM.

ISPs are not going to block it. Netscape isn't going to block it. It makes ... no ... sense. At all.

The answer rests somewhere else.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you further guidance, but what I'm saying is all hope is not lost. There is answer out there ... somewhere.

Rixy has offered good advice. Try double-checking what he suggests. Talk to you parents about the problem. Perhaps they know something about the connection that you don't.

Regardless, don't just give up. You're missing something here. You CAN connect. You just need to find the little gremlin causing the problem.

Don't just assume that it's the ISP. I'm telling you, and I think everyone will agree, that it ISN'T the ISP. Nor is it Netscape.

Keep on truckin'.

IP:

jujaga
posted March 12, 2005 08:27 PM         
One thing I have been noticing is that all of the programs (RB/RBT/TM) keeps sending UDP or TCP packets, mostly UDP, but there is no response from the server... I wonder why... any suggestions?

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 12, 2005 09:40 PM            
I completely agree with Synack.... if you have a connection, you can get on tm - period - theres another issue causing the problem.

If you get no response from the master server, then something is either stopping you transmitting out, or stopping the return signal getting in.

For out - check to see if your parents have installed anything like "Net Nanny" or "Cyber Patrol" that might block high port numbers. I highly suggest a spyware scan incase spyware is already using those ports, that would explain your mysterious packets.

You know what TCP and UDP is, so youre savvy to terminology to a degree, download this... itll keep an eye on ports, i recommend you use TM windowed while you use this and watch what happens.
http://www.webattack.com/get/activeports.shtml

For Spyware scans, I suggest Adaware from Lavasoft.com or The Cleaner from Moosoft.com - theres many others of course.....

If anything IS hijacking your ports, you need to know about it. Check too for Bogus Dialers in your networking folder - you could be paying $4 a minute to connect, and be restricted to port 80 just so you can surf the stuff THEY want you to surf....

Have you tried ICQ or Trillian ? Do they Connect ? Have you go GMail, the ports on that differ greatly to standard email POP3 and SMTP .... it also supports secure login, test those ports.

Also, with permission, one of us could scan your IP for open ports and see if we can see inward from the outside world..

But most importantly, dont give up - theres plenty of options yet to try. But it is most definately NOT the fault of your ISP.

@ Pabs: http://www.ukonline.net/8000/

Free Router too lol

Capped at : 500GB per month
Cost : 39.99 - thats about $70

BWHAHAHAHAAHAAHahaHaHaHAAHAHA

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited March 12, 2005).]

IP:

jujaga
posted March 12, 2005 10:01 PM         
The TCP/UDP signal is from TM/RB/RBT, so therefore it is just pinging to try to connect. No, there is no net nanny or anything, because I completely manage the whole computer. I am checking for spyware, but I doubt I have it because I never go download unknown programs. All traffic is being heavily monitored by my firewall, and I can see what is going on. I use Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta1. Yes, I can connect and do ANYTHING internet related, like listen to streaming music, go surf, download, talk on IRC, etc... except the LDA games. It just seems so farfetched... also, I have gone to https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to check for open ports, and all of them are stealthed, so that is not exactly a problem. Any other ideas? Gmail works perfectly. Out of options again... and yes, I am brain dead. In a nutshell, something is blocking the connection back to the game, so I believe that is what I should focus on, however, I can't think of anything.

------------------

IP:

pablito
posted March 12, 2005 11:18 PM            
settings in game? maybe graphics or other options is set too high for the bandwidth/pc to handle..

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 12, 2005 11:20 PM            
quote:
The TCP/UDP signal is from TM/RB/RBT, so therefore it is just pinging to try to connect.

UDP packets are connectionless, which means you'll never get a response from the destination IP (i.e. server).

quote:
I am checking for spyware, but I doubt I have it because I never go download unknown programs.

Spyware can get on your machine through email, visiting a website, or entering your PC via networking/security exploits.

quote:
All traffic is being heavily monitored by my firewall, and I can see what is going on.

Well, there's syour prooblem. Active monitoring induces a bottleneck in your network.

What it does is look at every single packet on the network, and delaying them if it falls behind. This will cause UDP packets to get dropped, and TCP connections to timeout when there is alot of traffic (i.e. your playing an online game). Also, if your running a software based firewall that is doing the monitoring, your PC is under alot of strain, since it has to do all that work ontop of running your apps.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited March 12, 2005).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 13, 2005 12:00 AM            
Yup....

And running bandwidth sapping apps at the same time like ICQ can lag u out too.... even if youre not using icq or any IM for that matter, it still has to connect to the root to report your online status to other users, and those logged on, to you !

As for the bottleneck, completely agree - disable the monitoring. Its like having a virus scanner on while installing software - if the scanner delays it too long, your installer will error with a "file not found" message.... You check, YUP, Its there.... It was just tied up when it was needed... Solution ? disable the AV and try again.

Same thing here, kinda, delaying the packets (especially through a firewall/monitor) can and often does cause timeouts.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 13, 2005 12:01 AM            
PS, question ..... if its XP ..... have you recently installed SP2 ?

IP:

jujaga
posted March 13, 2005 12:01 AM         
Ok, update... it's spyware free, the graphics even at minimum still has no effect, when I say heavily monitoring, it's just passive, it's never had a problem before... it's just odd... what is the culprit? It's so confusing...

Also, yes, I have SP2, but it's been installed a very long time ago...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

[This message has been edited by jujaga (edited March 13, 2005).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 13, 2005 06:09 AM            
SP2 switches yer XP firewall ON if it was OFF, and it closes some ports, but opens others - id put money on that being the culprit.... somehow !

IP:

jujaga
posted March 13, 2005 12:03 PM         
Yeah, it is suspicious, but the whole firewall is off, so that can't possibly be the reason... why does it keep illuding me!?! What did I do to deserve this!?! *Runs of and kills another person*

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 13, 2005 04:00 PM            
Do you have anything heuristic that may think the comms with LDA is a hack intrusion and auto block it ? Other than ur firewall of course...

IP:

pablito
posted March 13, 2005 04:07 PM            
I saw him played to day with no problems, I think connection it's ok
(perhaps enduring responses to any of his topics it's more like a redirected attention needed).

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 13, 2005 08:38 PM            
Well yeah, the basic common sense says that if he played b4 with that isp, and firewall, then he must again, and its something else.

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3