|
Author Topic:   Before the PC dies.....
=DNX= Matrix
posted March 01, 2005 11:01 AM            
For whatever reason, my processor is running HOT at 100%. Task Manager/Process shows

SYSTEM 100% 236k

Now sooner or later, its gonna overheat and reset.... till i get it fixed..... dont rely on me being around much..... I may have to post from the library if this continues.

Anyone have any idea why windows system is just stuck at 100% ? Its bonkers, im not doing anything !!

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted March 01, 2005 11:10 AM            
That mean DMF'll be down a bit more?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 01, 2005 11:13 AM            
No

I posted b4 i froze since the CPU has a habbit of dieing at 50 - it was at 49.... 1 reboot later and the priority list sorted iself out again....

CRAZY.. anyways backup as usual... gotta get this other PC finished.... this thing's driving me nuts... Its in desperate need of a reinstall from scratch.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited March 01, 2005).]

IP:

jujaga
posted March 01, 2005 06:15 PM         
My computer's cpu is also always at 100%, but that is because I am donating CPU clock cycles to WCG. I've donated 34 days already... heehee. Anyways, yep. I'll be going now...
Oh, by the way, the image you see below is a banner of the team at WCG... it also has my name on it because i use it for forum posts there too...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

VorDesigns
posted March 01, 2005 07:44 PM            
Hi M8,

Sounds like you know your way around the task manager but I would check the processes and sort by cpu usage so that the highest usages sit on top.

When ever the system starts to peg the CPU; go check and see it you have a wonky app running.

Maybe start watching what doesn't unload everything when you shut it down; hate the WinXP removed the PID from the TaskManager.

All my heat problems have been enviorment issues. Processor spikes don't generally cause system failures. Usually it's fan failure.

Good luck.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com/tm

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 01, 2005 07:51 PM            
Oh the fans chuggin away nicely at 7800 RPM ... its rated for a 2 gig chip, but its on a 1 gig athlon - nice n cool..... till it really brings home the bacon..... Trouble is the CPU is already heat damaged, so tripping the 50 degree mark resets the bugger... oh ill replace it someday.

I do keep on top of the process list, rogue processes are terminated immediately... but this was "SYSTEM" that was trippin out, and of course you cant "End Task" the system lol...

My best guess is that some programs lost their priority settings causing em all to try and grab what they could. After reset they were all back in place again - WIERD - anyways, as i say, damn pc need a total overhaul and reinstall from scratch, ill do that once ive got the other PC up n running, and the server backed up ready to just copy back once the OS and perl are back on.

Gotta love computers.... lol

IP:

jujaga
posted March 01, 2005 11:34 PM         
7800RPM... wow... mine only runs at 6000RPM... I wonder... is your fan really up to par? Also, if you are in the mood of buying stuff, I do suggest getting a bigger fan... quieter... less turbulence on the sides... that's what makes the humm... sound. Yet another of my 2 cents...
Now, I am peering into the near future of installing the StormRacer mod... but it appears it is not a AddOns only mod... I'll have to dig deeper... I am using killer's great program to interchange now... (what a lifesaver), and so I just want things organized... the storm racer mod may have conflicts to that from the fact that it changes some of the stock thingies... *goes back to digging through some hexadecimal stuff and 0's and 1's... BIG mountain...*
O by the way, does anyone know where I can fine the Shadow Pack? I can't seem to get it off of the TM Master Database... any alternatives?

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

[This message has been edited by jujaga (edited March 02, 2005).]

IP:

Rex R
posted March 02, 2005 01:38 AM            
the storm kit should by rights have a seperate install of tm.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 02, 2005 04:48 AM            
Yeah the Storm pack is a total game modification. Has a proper installer. Im mid making new and better maps for it though...

Shadow pack - the one i put together for the shadow tourney ? hell, I didnt know ppl still had that !!

IP:

jujaga
posted March 02, 2005 06:15 PM         
Ok then... I guess storm racer is out... o well... I did like the story however... it made me realize why we are blasting each other's heads off... thanks. Also, the shadow pack, I'm sure someone had it in the past... it just made all the stock weapons have the shadow look... if you find it, that's the one I'm looking for. I think I found it from lunar snowball... I think... (that's a server)
Never mind... I found it! You can find it at http://home.woh.rr.com/kvorlon/kvShadowPack.zip . (This was where I found it in the past...)

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

[This message has been edited by jujaga (edited March 02, 2005).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 02, 2005 09:46 PM            
Matrix...I have a spare XP1600 Palamino that I'd be willing to let go...

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 02, 2005 10:15 PM            
If you want a storm racer install just install a separate TM install and run the StormRacer.exe install and point it to the new TM install base directory. It will do all the changes for the Storm Racer setup and create an uninstall that will return the TM install to a base install without any modifications. I created it with JVortex's permission so more people could easily install it if wanted.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

jujaga
posted March 02, 2005 11:35 PM         
O, ok, thanks for the offer, however, I think I'll stick with not installing it, at least for a while.

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 03, 2005 07:10 AM            
"Matrix...I have a spare XP1600 Palamino that I'd be willing to let go... "
- Not sure that will fit in my mainboard... but ill go check it out.... Thx man !

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 03, 2005 08:13 AM            
Okay, the board is a Lexx Bn780 with Via/Jetway chipset - looks like itll take your chip - so next quiddly is how much ya want for it and how to pay ya.

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted March 03, 2005 08:14 AM            
Ah no problem :p

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 03, 2005 08:32 AM            
EEEEEK - problem indeed... its the 790 that would take the pally, or the 780 Pro, mines a boggo 780 - so the biggest i can stick in is a 1200 Athlon.

BUMMER

But thx anyway...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 05, 2005 08:22 AM            
Ok, the pc died....

Lucky i was able to get the new one running - talk about just in time. Sadly, the DMF forums ARE on the other computers hard drive. Now i know i could switch drives etc, but that means installing apache and perl on the new one and quite frankly i dont want to.

So for those who DO use DMF boards - stand by, i have to get all my work stuff transferred over, and reinstall XP again from scratch on the older machine... do it good anyway, its not seen a fresh install in over 5 years....

So for now - DMF is down indefinitely, ill make an announement when were back up and running - with any luck she should go like the clappers on a newly installed system.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 05, 2005 01:05 PM            
Ok, server restored onto the backup pc ... might be a bit slow for now, but at least its up.... Penti II 350 btw lol ....

IP:

Skull Man
posted March 05, 2005 04:35 PM            
My computer's cpu is also always at 100%, but that is because I am donating CPU clock cycles to WCG. I've donated 34 days already... heehee. Anyways, yep. I'll be going now...
Oh, by the way, the image you see below is a banner of the team at WCG... it also has my name on it because i use it for forum posts there too...

Put the pic in your sig!

IP:

jujaga
posted March 05, 2005 05:17 PM         
I would have if it was allowed in this forum... o well...

------------------

IP: