|
Author Topic:   BIG wide screen TM (the ultimate.. almost)
R_dodger
posted February 23, 2005 08:30 PM            
Maybe someone else has tried this.. with better luck.

I tried using a TV out card to play TreadMarks on the big television in the living room, hooked to the surround sound. It was pretty awesome! (Especially with surround sound) the only problem I had was that the graphics quality was a bit poor (not just TreadMarks but everything, I think that is normal for these applications).
The major problem was that I couldn't read the scrolling text, or see who I was shooting or who was shooting me. So chatting was out also, and that for me is almost half the fun.

Does anyone know if the fonts on the scrolling text can be enlarged? I DID search the forum and found that they are actually BMP's, so it doesn't seem a fix that can be made by setting a font or something.

Any ideas? until then, it's back to the puter monitor.

>CAT<Rdodger
(note the new nick!

"Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would just be a brawl"

------------------
I walk among the ignorant

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 23, 2005 09:30 PM            
Ive played TM on my old 30 inch SONY CubeMonitor (which rocked) and more recently on my new 42 inch plasma - now THAT was the baby !!

IP:

pablito
posted February 23, 2005 09:42 PM            
I would try changing the graphics settings in your Operating System before within the game... if that doesn't work, I believe you can change the size of the fonts. But try changing the amount of pixels (right click on your desktop/properties,settings)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 24, 2005 01:26 AM            
Doesnt work with bitmap fonts, they are whatever size you design them WITHIN a set height and width.

IP:

Rex R
posted February 24, 2005 02:01 AM            
I think screen res (game) has a bit to play in the onscreen font size which res were you using? think I would try bumping it down a notch for tv play and see if that helps.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted February 24, 2005 12:56 PM            
CRT TVs (US) only run at 320x240 pixels, 320x480 (interlace) and 640x480. Therefore make sure you have your vid card and TM set to one of those resolutions, otherwise your vid card is doing a lot of interpolating to display it. It is the interpolation where a lot of the quality is lost.

--RC

IP:

pablito
posted February 24, 2005 01:08 PM            
interesting!

IP:

R_dodger
posted February 24, 2005 09:06 PM            
Well, it is set for 480/640, thats what the card is set for, but yes I think that there is just not enough resolution on a television as there is on a monitor... So I am pretty well stuck. It's pretty awesome, but without being able to chat... thats a lot of it for me. Maybe one day a HD television.

The only way would be to change the bmp/fonts and it looks like that isn't really possible without extensive dissection of the files. I DID try playing with the screen resolution and the graphics in the game.. but to no avail.

Ahhh well, such is life.

Thanks to everyone for their input though.

[This message has been edited by R_dodger (edited February 24, 2005).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 24, 2005 09:33 PM            
The ingame chat font is 32 point, and set at that size design, but resized in realtime by the engine.

The menu font is 16 point, and is again set.

To get bigger fonts youd need to design one say 4x bigger, AND be able to tell the game engine which co ordinates to grab between for each character to make it work - thats all hardcoded in the exe, and we dont have access to the source code.

Chosing displayed chat size font would be a good patch upgrade option though.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited February 24, 2005).]

IP:

pablito
posted February 25, 2005 09:45 AM            
what if you change the whole scheme for font...as a different font? [when I merged your house of horror pack into the stock files I hated it (for game sake) those gothic fonts but I was able to choose the standard ones... so yeah.. yer pack doesn't have gothic font on my pc

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 25, 2005 11:31 AM            
Yeah they are easy enough to design and change... but they are always one set size. I do try to make them reasonably readable though - bearing in mind black is transparent... I can set it to have black as the background though of you like - but it will have gaps between the letters.....

IP:

VorDesigns
posted March 01, 2005 07:51 PM            
RD,

I feel your pain; I have still installed on a system an ATI PC 2 TV All in Wonder, it worked really well for a lot of games and videos with the monitor but when I hooked it up to my 27" television, the movies looked ok but it wrecked the games.
Felt like I was playing the Pong generation of MechWarrior and Need for Speed.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com/tm

IP:

VorDesigns
posted March 01, 2005 07:55 PM            
Here's a better explanation of why pc video sucks on television
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-a0zRnvnXM8t/tech/kb417.html

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 01, 2005 08:08 PM            
What about a TV that has a DVI / VGA connector on the back ? Mine does....

IP:

jujaga
posted March 01, 2005 11:36 PM         
That may work also... however, I am in not much position to give much suggestions, for that I do not possess such equipment...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted March 02, 2005 12:28 PM            
I seem to recall a way to tell *where* the chat messages show up.. its a coordinant setting in the settings file..
Darn, its been so long since I have played, I don't remember exactly where that setting is. I DO know you can set how many messages are displayed at one time, just as you can move where that little in game overview map shows up, too.
Make a back up of your TM file "config.cfg" and then play with the settings in there.
ie you can make it show speed in km/hr rather than mpg by changing one little setting..
Get a copy of the EEK (Harmless has a copy on his site) and do a bit of reading. I seem to recall that that document might just talk about the settings one can change in the config file, as well as entity settings.

BTW, did you know you can always bypass the intro screens (after seeing them 100 times,I figured I earned the right not to have to see them again) by adding the line: "ByPassIntro = 1" to your config file.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 02, 2005 01:00 PM            
The EEK doesn't cover anything in the config.cfg or dedicated.cfg file because those commands aren't entities (as it was explained to me). So any documentation on the config.cfg or dedicated.cfg is either in their readme files or done on yer own.

I made my own list of supported commands that I found and put them in my TM spreadsheet. I found out about the bypassintro line and posted it in the modded section...check in there fer more stuff...

IP:

pablito
posted March 02, 2005 05:10 PM            
cool.. I like "bypassing" ty both. You're right, long time no see ga_queen :

IP:

R_dodger
posted March 02, 2005 06:24 PM            
Well, as for that VGA in or the S video for that matter still won't resolve the resolution issue.... HOWEVER... I wonder.. if a high definition television screen... would bring the graphic detail out...OR else one of those projectors that I have seen schools and presentations use. I still might play with that config a bit.

For now, hooking it up to a decent set of speakers still puts you in a good setting.. and.. I don't know about the newer tanks (okay so this is going to date me....) but the M60 Med battle tank just used a little tiny periscope (M27)when the hatches were closed (daylight only) and an even poorer night vision scope (M24)for night... so I guess I can't complain.

'Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be just a brawl'

IP:

VorDesigns
posted March 02, 2005 09:30 PM            
Sounds like a trip to BestBuy is in order.

IP:

R_dodger
posted March 02, 2005 11:10 PM            
WOW, speaking of Best Buy.... here's a plus for TM. Before I downloaded this game from the TreadMarks website I went to BestBuy, of course they didn't have it. But then went back a few weeks later and I saw TWO TreadMarks games there... same price... $19. something. Then went back a week later and they were gone! Maybe I will give it another week and drop in and ask for the game again!

And no... no HD television for me (now anyway)

------------------
I walk among the ignorant

[This message has been edited by R_dodger (edited March 02, 2005).]

IP:

jujaga
posted March 02, 2005 11:36 PM         
At least that means, TM is still being bought slowly... that is good news.

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

=CAT=Viper-II
posted March 03, 2005 03:08 PM            
I had the same Prob. that Vortex had the game look like it was wash out on my 27'".the fonts large but color was still bla.

R_doger buy the game from LDA's 19.95 do-not get E-game version mucho prob's I had with that!

IP: