|
Author Topic:   combat techniques
rcy
posted February 09, 2005 11:22 PM         
Are there any combat technigues that helps you avoid enemy fire? Cos i've tried circling, and it just screws up in the end. So, are there any combat techs that allow you to fight even better?

IP:

THETAXI
posted February 09, 2005 11:47 PM            
Yup.. practice and practice and practice. You get a better feel for the ground, use better cover, understand the guns better (for examples which guns shoot through dirt, or the different angles that can be shot with the dirtball, etc.)
Just keep on playing! You'll see!

IP:

Irascible
posted February 10, 2005 12:12 AM            
Best way to avoid enemy fire: Shoot first and aim true. Second best way: Watch your radar and don't let them catch you by surprise.

-wasps: Always run from them at a sharp angle. They don't turn well. Running straight backwards from them will get you fragged.
-avenger and machine gun: They shoot pretty much straight. So you want to get at a different elevation from your attacker if you can, and quickly. Don't forget that they can shoot through a limited amount of dirt.
-dirt ball: It can be shot straight and even up and over hills, but its distance is usually not so good (with some exceptions of course). So keep your distance until you see an opportune moment to strike.
-flamer: It can be used at a distance but itís almost always used up close. Keep your distance.
-swarmers: Run like hell and at an angle. If you can move at a horizontal angle as well as vertically, all the better. Only the best of us are any good at compensating for a tank moving at full speed sideways and up a hill. This defense is applicable to many weapons.
-MRLs: They're like the swarmers except that they're pointing up. If you have to, and if you're on flat land, you can butt right up against the enemy tank and they'll not be able to touch you until they can angle their tanks downward.
-R-Grenades: Being on the opposite side of a steep enough hill always works. The grenades will bounce right over you. Otherwise run fast and at an angle. Your opponent will anticipate that and try to place his grenades where he thinks you're going to be. You can often see where he's favoring the grenades and reverse course at just the right moment with only one or two of them hitting you.
-Cruise: If you see it coming in time and can duct into a tank sized rut, it'll usually miss you.
-Shadow: Get some MRLs, a nuke, a CM or whatever works at a distance and frag him first. Otherwise run.
-Nuke: Get them to fire it at you while you're on a hill. Then back down the opposite side of the hill as fast as you can. The nuke will follow your elevation and hit the other side of the hill.

That's just what I could come up with on the top of my head. There's more. And there are more variations on what I said. But unless youíre really weird like me, intellectualizing the maneuvers isn't nearly as useful as following Theta's advice.

IP:

THETAXI
posted February 10, 2005 01:12 AM            
He can write those down and memorize them all he wants... if he doesn't get the feel for it, it won't matter much.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 10, 2005 01:36 AM            
"always used up close. Keep your distance."

LMFAO !!!!! CLASS !!!!!!!

IP:

Irascible
posted February 10, 2005 02:43 AM            
Thank you Theta. I believe that's why I said it would be more useful for him to follow your advice. It appears that you missed the fact that I already affirmed your suggestion.

Uh... thank you Matrix? He wanted to know how to defend against weapons. Since the flamer is usually used short range, I said to defend by keeping his distance. Man. I'm never going to get Brit humor.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited February 10, 2005).]

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted February 10, 2005 05:46 AM            
haha

IP:

rcy
posted February 10, 2005 01:08 PM         
LOL, thanks for all the advice. My current tactic is just to sit still, and pound the hell out of them with what ever weapon I have. Like in real tank combat. This tactic is perfect for the Harasser Hover Tank, created by Boomstick Joe. I sit still cos the hover tank is hard to control when it gets moving, and plus there's no need to move when you can pound the hell out of your enemy from a distants with the missiles that come pre-loaded into the Harasser. :P

[This message has been edited by rcy (edited February 10, 2005).]

IP:

pablito
posted February 10, 2005 02:35 PM            
awareness helps. You can't use the same techniques on all ocasions. You may be under fire by an ai, ai and human, 2 ais, 2 human or in the middle of it all. When you're aware of your own capabilities and others you'll know what to do.

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted February 10, 2005 05:43 PM            
Getting a feeling for the physics of the game is an important factor. Find your tank of choice which is most adapted to your playing style and over time you'll pick up the feel of the land and general playing styles of other people.

I could maybe give you a break-down of who's who and how they play but it's more fun finding out by yourself.

It's no use practicing single-player unless it's to brush up on your weapons skills. You need to be in the thick of it. Some battle-wounds should be worn with much pride.

IP:

jujaga
posted February 10, 2005 06:08 PM         
Ni is right, you need to get the feel, become one with the tank, only then will you truly discover the art of Tread Marks... ok... maybe a bit too much with the zen thingie... but you kinda get the idea... juat have fun, and eventually, how to play will hit you and smack you upside down in such a way that your vision is screwed up for a few minutes... heehee... BTW, I'm the one who uses the Liquid Dragon as my main tank... heehee

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

John B.
posted February 10, 2005 09:23 PM         
Personally, I like driving like a mad man at the best players on the field. Helps out in their frag counts.

IP:

rcy
posted February 11, 2005 01:14 AM         
I mean tatics, like circling tactics, and such like that. I can pretty much compensate when my tank goes flying off a hill at high speeds. :P

IP: