|
Author Topic:   could not write referenced memory
yugo2
posted February 07, 2005 01:02 AM         

Yes, that is a frowny face. I thought I had the my clan game three drop out problem fixed, but alas no. For the past week I have been getting the following error when playing TM:

TM.exe-app error

The instruction at "0x77fcc39e" (this varies) referenced memory at "0x42810bf" (varies). The memory could not be written.

Anyone seen this before?

As it relates to the game, the only trend I see is that it usually only kills my game when I am having a good time.

I am currently experiencing no other problems on my machine.

I have a lot of ram memory and HD temp space so I am not sure what to think about this problem.

I tried reinstalling but that apparently is not it. I didn't delete all the tm addon folders etc when I uninstalled and reinstalled, but I will do this if no one else has any ideas.

Hopefully someone has encountered this error and can set me back on track. Please let me know if you have any insights to what is causing this error.

Regards,

Josh

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 07, 2005 01:13 AM            
Have you run a mem test to see if yer memory is still good? Hardware does go bad...

Are you overclocked?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 07, 2005 01:37 AM            
Reinstall ya drivers... looks like 2 things are trying to assign the same area of memory, the first is successful, the second - is not.

Try taking a skip of ram out, see if that makes any difference, if not, swap it out n try again.... more than 2 ? try em 1 at a time to see if you have a faulty ram module.

Sounds daft, but they may just need reseating... or like bam said.... overclocking can cause issues, so can an incorrectly flashed BIOS.

Do a virus scan.... maybe try to get a freeware tool that can defrag memory... its best to play tm on a fresh reboot - if youve played previous games, or had heavy apps loaded, that can cause a serious lack of swapspace and resources.... programs leave all sorts of redundant junk in memory, making it uncontiguous.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 07, 2005 02:20 AM            
Memtest86...

IP:

yugo2
posted February 08, 2005 07:33 PM         

Thanks fellas for the advice. I haven't overclocked recently. I did defrag but it decided to crash again. Virus scan is clean.

I will try that mem test when I get home and see what that says- A cupla months ago I swapped out a piece of memory from a machine I put together and don't know what its history is.

Again, thanks to Bam and Matrix

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 08, 2005 07:50 PM            
Ok - this is it...

If its NT .. theres a fix ....

If its XP with SP2 - its a problem with SP2 - its irriversable.

IP:

pablito
posted February 08, 2005 08:48 PM            
do you get this message only playing TM or not?
What system do you have?
Check memory is compatible with your pc's bus speed? are you sure? are you really really sure?
Did you install SP2? no? good
What's your birth sign.. it actually has a co-relation.. I'll explaing later

IP:

yugo2
posted February 08, 2005 11:11 PM         

I am running win2k so NT I guess Matrix.

Just trashed the whole TM folder after uninstalling and reinstalled and will try playin TM again.

This is a great excuse to play TM alot. Like I need more excuses.

Did not try memtest b/c I can't find a friggin floppy right now. But I will get one from work manana.

Thanks again fellas. Will update- I appreciate it. -J

IP:

yugo2
posted February 09, 2005 01:05 AM         

First test passed:

Appears this prob may be linked to the stick of memory I salvaged from the old machine. I removed it and no problems so far. Haven't had this prob w/ other progs but I don't game with other software.

I will try again tomorrow night for a marathon TM sesh and hopefully it will play "A-OK" like it just did for a FULL GAME (Yahoo!) :^)

Thanks again fellas for pinning down the prob. I have a good feelin this is it.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 09, 2005 03:42 AM            
Old n new ram - LOL - yup, that sounds like it - prolly 2 diff brands and latency rates too.

PS: the thing i said above,re SP2 ..... thats for the error that is memory that could not be READ not WRITTEN, sry bout that.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 09, 2005 03:54 AM            
What type of memory do you have?

How much memory do you have?

Are you looking fer more memory?

IP:

yugo2
posted February 10, 2005 01:47 AM         

Well I tested the 'puter as an excuse to play TM for a cupla hours tonight. No problems to report. Thanks for the fix fellas.

Not sure what is up with that memory. Must have gotten old- same latency, etc- worked for a couple of months just fine- guess it just pooped out. No idea about its history b/c I moved it from another machine I frankensteined. The memory is pc133 and now I am back to 512 total. Which is fine except when I am running Photoshop, ArcGIS and Illustrator all at once but that is my own nerdy problem and no concern of yours.

You guys are awesome- thanks for propping up a member of the community. I won't forget it.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted February 10, 2005 12:40 PM            
Yugo has his own on team geek to refer to for hardware/software problems and where does he go?

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com/tm

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 10, 2005 11:31 PM            
This was the cheapest 256MB stick I could find...not bad fer $23 plus shipping/tax...

IP: