This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   TM FREEWARE
pablito
posted February 01, 2005 05:37 PM            
...as an effort to promote this game, do you think the consequences to distribute this game as freeware (burn your tm cd's and give it to as many people as possible) to increase the number of on-line players and therefore the participation of the game, increase of word of mouth advertisement and perhaps push for a TM2 cost software be allowable/recommendable?

IP:

jujaga
posted February 01, 2005 05:52 PM         
I don't really have a reply to this, however, I believe that we should just get everyone we can tell to about this game and get them to download the freeware, then they can decide if they want to buy it or not. Personally, it would be great to have more people participate in TM, we could really use more people around... just a humble thought...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted February 01, 2005 08:32 PM            
TTreadmarks has been on the go since 1999 at least and we, as a community, have done our best to promote the game! From my experience, in general, people have tried and tested the game and it's received mixed reviews. We've tried to promote this stupendous piece of software for years to little avail so there's no real point IMO offering freeware. One can purchase the game in UK for 5.99 through the old AAA distribution budget packaging and as far as I know it's the latest version.

Offering people the downloadable free demo with online capabilities is enough and maybe expanding that demo to 3 or 4 maps would be sufficient to attract more worthy attention!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 01, 2005 08:44 PM            
Im with Ni ... its been tried like mad... ebay included.... ive sold a couple via the DMF site for a good price, but its just not cutting it in todays world of HQ EyeCandy. Sure its good, but its not cutting edge for anyone to even take a look anymore - more modern games are bargain bin 2.99

Its been said b4, TM needs a HUGE engine overhaul, it was promised, but LDA dont have the cash to push it forward.

Copying it can still land u in hot water though, so dont even go there... its cheap enough not to pirate... i have 8 copies sat here on the desk waiting for buyers.

Give em away for birthday or xmas presents, but dont pirate it - taint worth it...

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited February 01, 2005).]

IP:

=CAT=Viper-II
posted February 01, 2005 08:45 PM            
Possible the game needs up dates, as some have said it is starting to show it's age.
Has any one approached LongBow about lic. rights to the game.

I feel there is enough brain power in the group to refind it some, many have done alot of work to imp and make it more improve the game & make it more interesting.

What TM needs is promotion, it in it's own right is a hell of a game to play....just my 2 cents for all it's worth!

IP:

pablito
posted February 01, 2005 11:38 PM            
i said freeware, not piracy. But for better outcomes like TM2. Give a taste to everyone what could be better if all push for it.

[This message has been edited by pablito (edited February 01, 2005).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 02, 2005 12:18 AM            
"i said freeware, not piracy"

No, you said:

"(burn your tm cd's and give it to as many people as possible)"

Thats piracy.

IP:

pablito
posted February 02, 2005 09:13 AM            
sight, if software is free than you can also do that...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 02, 2005 11:08 AM            
true, but atm its not free, and i dont think LDA plan to make it free, especially considering they dont get much cash in as it is and all sources of income are of value. So offering advice of that nature is rather foolhardy imho. Sorry, and i mean no offence, but thats just bad advice, especially here on the LDA board of all places.

IP:

pablito
posted February 02, 2005 11:31 AM            
Read again why I proposed this, the overall outcome that I would seek is to push advertisement since there's none going on and increase awareness of the game, you never know if other sources are willing to invest in TM2 (I would). Then you can charge for this game more than $.99 like on e-bay. To me that's worse than freeware.

IP:

jujaga
posted February 02, 2005 11:49 AM         
Personally, I believe that TM is showing it's age (even though I really like it still), and there aren't much people who really knew TM. Perhaps have the freeware version of it have more weapons and maps? At least so that people will be able to have more leeway play it... a reference I am pointing to is RB and RBT... many people play RB (most only have freeware) and RBT (it's starting to gain numbers, some from RB, and some from somewhere else...) If TM was as successful as RB (speaking of users), there would be many tanks to frag... well, that's just my humble comment...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted February 02, 2005 12:11 PM            
As was mine!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 02, 2005 04:50 PM            
Well this HAS been chatted about before, quite few times. If I were you id be hitting the search button and taking a look.

Tshirts, Flyers, Freeware. Shareware, Competitions - you name it, its been discussed. Your idea isnt new. I did re-read your proposal, and still came to the same conclusion. Whilever TM is NOT freeware, copying the cd and handing it around IS Piracy - however you want to candy coat it with good intention, and i dont expect you would after youve told the world via the board anyway.

Why not just do what Sue n Dave did, buy a few copies, hand em out to friends. OR, do what I did, buy a few, and sell em at a loss or to break even.... bundle copies in with other stuff if necessary, but DO NOT COPY THE CD.

Ppl here have talked about reseller rights n everything, its ben quite extensive, i suggest a good troll through the archives.

Dont get me wrong, im all for promoting TM, and im glad to see you want to do good for LDA and the game too - but do it in the RIGHT way, and in a way that wont cause you any legal issues... so we can all just get on and enjoy this terrific game.

If LDA makes a play, ill back it to the hilt - but LDA ARE the only ppl that should be coming up with the marketting ideas, and telling us what we can and cant do.

The attitude and drive is right - the method and execution is all wrong. Sorry man.

Hit that search button.... take a look.

IP:

pablito
posted February 02, 2005 06:40 PM            
...and all those ideas people came out with, has anyone done anything? or was it just discussions?
I believe TM2 is possible and perhaps the only solution. It was a question of how would you feel if.... so I guess I got a response.
Your "right" way of handling this uncrypted cd (lol) is not business-effective, if I had a say-so at LDA I would sell my house, dog, and etc, to burn as many copies of TM and give it to the whole world, major free downloads at all websites, free! please take it, just play it. Meanwhile you work on TM2, finish it and then mortgage your soul to advertise it on TV for a month. Has anyone done that?
I think TM has a strong engine dying waiting to be put on the track. Of course it takes money, but like I said, you never know who is willing to invest unless you don't put it out there. Either way, I'm just "discussing the idea of" I've had switched from game-era to another... but for some reason it seems I'm stuck in TM.
Cronology of: worm-accodale-pacman-mario-w3d-doom-mortalkombat-yahoopool-TM-nfl05-hopefully TM2 or golf ea sports has grown faster then a pc virus, and most of their games were crap when they came out, lol. But I'll bet you can download any version of any game (as long as it's not newest) from their website and play it. mmhhh.....
This message is particularly long because I learned from you Matrix that the longer the less people read it, lol.. and I'm starting to not want people read this topic as much, since you brough it up, many people have discussed.... I don't like discussions but actions and I wouldn't want to be another one that discussed about this, so, unless I act; admin you're more than welcome to lock this up! throw it to the "very general discussions that are gone with time" Board. THANK YOU!

IP:

pablito
posted February 02, 2005 07:13 PM            
so much for my promise not to chat much anymore... sorry and argh

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 02, 2005 07:19 PM            
Yes, I'm taking note of the discussion...

The bottom line is that we can't afford to do TM2 without a publisher first... We are working on a wargame with a new terrain engine that will be editable...DirectX-8 cards or better.

If our new project goes well, then one consideration is to release a free upgrade to TM with the new DirectX-8 engine... which gives us shadows and higher detail etc.

We'll have the web-pages for the new game "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon" up in a few weeks and will start yakking it up with screen shots and videos etc...

IP:

coaxs
posted February 02, 2005 07:24 PM            
A few years ago, back with TM1.0, it was noticed that the full version of TM was on some cracker websites. Even back then LDA didn't mind. The concept of having people get addicted to the game, even if they didn't pay for it, wasn't lost on them.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

pablito
posted February 02, 2005 07:40 PM            
cool! thank you.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted February 02, 2005 07:48 PM            
...I was posting based on my email confirmations and initially put this on the CTF thread, when it should have been here

Yes, having a good following can be worth it for sequels...

Tread Marks is something of an acquired taste, whether it's the level of chaos and lack of sites... basically a combination of a number of small things that we'd definitely do differently. And as many of you recall, we made Tread Marks in a year under the dark-cloud of Seumas' deteriorating health (which he kept to himself)... A number of changes would likely have been made before final release...but that is history now.

Things such as the servers not detecting and updating player copies has been a problem... The version 5 game not being supported by our servers... etc., etc. ...much of which has been discussed over the years.

We should probably have a more technically accurate mode for tank combat.... all design issues it would be nice to consider and implement in some future spin-off of TM.

Our new landscape engine has some cool features which should get us some attention when we start showing it.

It's based on dem-data of the Aegean region and will Zoom-out to view an area of 100,000 square kilometers, perfect for making strategic decisions; and then smoothly zoom-in to view a single kilometer of map, great for battle viewing. To make this unprecedented level of real-time zoom possible, the engine generates one giant 3D map covering a million square kilometers... using procedural methods to keep it around 50 megs in size, instead of the 300+ megs it would take up with more conventional game mapping systems.

Jim

IP:

pablito
posted February 02, 2005 08:19 PM            
Right on!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 02, 2005 08:48 PM            
Excellent news Jim Thx.... Best of luck with that project, i know the whole community will be right behind you.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted February 03, 2005 09:44 PM            
Pablo et al,

Do what I did, buy ten copies and give it to your friends.

Get's more players, pays some bills for LDA, you know the ones who camee up with the idea, burned the original hours and earned the right to make something for their labors.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com/tm

IP:

THETAXI
posted February 03, 2005 11:22 PM            
woa... TM2...

I dream of the day

IP:

rcy
posted February 11, 2005 07:12 PM         
The way I found out about TM was on a mass-multiplayer game web site (forgot the name), took one look at the screen shot on the description page, and decided. "I need this game!", so some people are promoting it.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted February 12, 2005 01:26 PM            
I found out about TM via a friend who travelled a good deal. TM was one of the only games that actually ran on Windows NT.

Add that to the fact that he was a jarhead and..

Wish he would fix his equipment and start plying again.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2