This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Server Admin Wanted: Apply Inside
posted January 10, 2005 11:50 PM            
yes...I need to give the reign to someone else. This position should probably be a 1 yr job. There are new folks attending and I do not have the sufficent time to do justice to the job.

Not sure how folks want to do this. Skill sets needed are able to run a server, file maintanence, ftp experience, advertise the events both online playing and via ICQ, and most importantly...tough skins for the tough love of the job.

What needs to happen is one person setting up the events and one to do all the advertising. If advertise properly...the folks will attend.

What will I do...well...I would like to just concentrate on racing. GA is the racing clan and I would like to get racing up and going again.

So all input is wanted and apply for the job here.

IP:

Irascible
posted January 11, 2005 12:58 AM            
"So all input is wanted"

I got your input right here: Thanks for all the hard work.

I certainly dispensed plenty of the aforementioned tough love (Or was it incessant brow beating? ). But truth is truth. And the truth is NO ONE has put in more work into TM in recent history than you. Three cheers for the tin pot dictator!

As far as applications for the position go, I have a feeling this is going to be a short thread. Though I suspect there might be an eager 14 year old or two that might want it. LOL!

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited January 11, 2005).]

IP:

posted January 11, 2005 02:15 AM            
thanks for title...LOL

IP:

coaxs
posted January 11, 2005 04:01 AM            
Thank you for all the hard work you've put into it. I wouldn't of lasted half as long as you did. Second, I wouldn't touch that job with a 10 foot pole.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 11, 2005 05:15 AM            
Yeah, i wouldnt even stand behind him lol...

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted January 11, 2005 07:51 AM            
Thanks for the efforts over how long you had control. Is this with immediate effect? Also I wouldn't be able to do it as I can't even turn up for half of the events.

IP:

pablito
posted January 11, 2005 09:48 AM            
......What needs to happen is one person setting up the events and one to do all the advertising. If advertise properly...the folks will attend....
(Does that means posting when ranked ddm and clan battles occur?)... mhh...
If you can't get a better person, I'm willing to help. (I'll e-mail you for more info).

IP:

Irascible
posted January 11, 2005 11:06 AM            
Refresh my memory if you will. Why the need for constant rotation of the server? In other words, what was the problem with having more than two servers up? The fun DDM would still need to be rotated. But could not a racing, CTF, and ranked event server be left up at all times in addition to the regular LDA server? That would make the job a lot easier. If the rotation of the fun DDM was nixed there'd be no job at all except to post reminders, no?

I seem to recall it may have been lag issues. But shouldn't lag be an issue of how many people are playing and not how many servers are up? That is, unless the server has a really slow CPU.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 11, 2005 11:31 AM            
The connections will be better optimised soon as ive sent Jim the tools to open up the pipes a bit more.

IP:

jujaga
posted January 11, 2005 01:46 PM         
Thanks for all the contrubutions to TM... you ought to be put in the TM hall of fame (if there is one )... when Irascible said an eager 14 yr old, that would fit my case, cuz I'm 14, but, with school (top priority), and other extracurricular activities, I will not even want to get close to touching that position... besides, I know of someone who does a great job with it already...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

Irascible
posted January 11, 2005 01:55 PM            
I think the Knight of the ChumbaWamba is 14 too. And possibly Max - though he might have a year or two to go. LOL!

IP:

Teulk
posted January 11, 2005 03:47 PM            
I'd like to salute 666 on a job well done.
Lots of work and time and effort and...you get the pic!
As for a replacement, well, it certainly couldn't be me. I have very little knowledge of the ACTUAL goings on behind the scenes, even less strength for it, and ,believe it or not, even less time!!
(Besides, the shoes to be filled far out-size anything I could fit into!!)

IP:

pablito
posted January 11, 2005 03:52 PM            
What about Kong? He's very knowledge-able of TM....

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 11, 2005 06:24 PM            
Bah, no confidence anymore there.... I suggest Meloncracker... he's an IT bod with plenty of knowhow and the ability to do a professional job.

IP:

Teulk
posted January 11, 2005 06:36 PM            
Now, now..be nice!!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 11, 2005 07:47 PM            
Come on, do you want a guy who gets touchy at the spelling of Xmas/Christmas to be running a server ?

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted January 11, 2005 07:55 PM            
YOu know, I quite like my shortened name now. Xopher!

IP:

pablito
posted January 11, 2005 08:21 PM            
My only thing it's time.. don't have much, but you all know I love the game, so I wouldn't mind it... only if the servers were already organized, so they won't need to be switched every hour! Other than that, if LDA has it down, you don't even need an IT guy, just someone with posting rights... uh?
oh yeah, I think Melon would be a good choice too...

[This message has been edited by pablito (edited January 11, 2005).]

IP:

KONG
posted January 11, 2005 09:11 PM            
quote:
What about Kong? He's very knowledge-able of TM....

Thanks Pab but I really really don't want the responsibility. I don't have the time or the motivation to do it.

IP:

posted January 12, 2005 12:13 AM            
Thanks all for your kind words.

As for the time required, most of the servers are set up. I just email LDAJim to change the server. The most that needs to be done are the following:

- Clan server: change the maps on the dedicated.cfg file
- Fun DDM: Change out the correct dedicated.cfg file and addons folder for the fun ddm that you are doing. If there is a new one, then you will have to add the files via ftp. The ftp program we use is free.
- Ranked ddm: nothing
- Stock CTF: nothing
- Ifirt CTF: nothing
- Stock Racing: nothing

I guess what I would like to see is someone/s who have the time to rally the troop and advertise. Take for instance the ifrit ctf just now. My bro and I had a blast, but others would have come if I had reminded them, which I did not have time to do.

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited January 12, 2005).]

IP:

posted January 12, 2005 12:18 AM            
Also, try to establish a new event if possible. I was the one that pushed for the ranked DDM and Clan battle every month and I got it from LDA.

New events will keep this place alive...just need someone who is excited to rally the troops. And dont be afriad to try something new. Race did not take off for a long time, then it caught on, then switched the times and the attendance dropped...oh well. I need to redo the time for racing.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 12, 2005 12:39 AM            
Once the other pc is up and running ill be running Anarchy tournaments every other month. Im considering doing a bi-monthly storm racer race tourney too, but thats a way off yet as i have to do more race maps.

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted January 12, 2005 09:52 AM            
Oh... racing!!! My specialty!

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted January 16, 2005 04:45 PM            
lol, thank goodness im almost 17 now ras... mh, i've been around that long... bwa hahaha. (since I was 12/13, lol). On dialup for the next few days, bleh, just thought i'd take a little poke into the forums and say hi =D Just moved to utah for those of you who didn't know. Going to be getting a 1 megabit up/down from www.neatbeam.com... its either that or satellite :/ they don't have anything eles out here besides satellite/dial up.. so annoying, lol. Hopefully my things should calm down around here and I can poke onto the servers.

Perhaps we could set up an IM bot to do reminders, wouldn't be that hard imo. I use trillian, in there (not sure if you can in the free version *shrugs*) you can set up triggers and timers...etc, could set up a schedule to remind a list of people over aim/icq/yahoo/msn/irc....etc...etc lol. I do miss Logscan, was nice being able to see when people were on the servers... well, over and out.

------------------
(: Can't forget those unside down smileys at the bottem can we (:

IP:

synack
posted January 16, 2005 06:40 PM         
Good to hear from you! Been quite a while.

Bet there are lots of ants in Utah!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2