|
Author Topic:   Question
R_dodger
posted January 03, 2005 04:34 AM            
Well, I hope everyone had a great Christmas (Holiday, New Years ect). Wasn't really able to get on very much at all, but now that the new year is started, I plan to. Got put on second shift for a while so might not see the same faces.

My question, is there a really good way to set up the joystick? or a different control that I don't know about? I know everyone has their preferences, I was just curious as to others experiences.

Also, I didn't want to post these on here, because of dial ups, but thought you might get a laugh out of these.. screenshots... well .. sort of. http://home.mchsi.com/~rogerlc/tmarks2.htm ( and here if this UBB doesn't work "http://home.mchsi.com/~rogerlc/tmarks2.htm"

Roger

IP:

Irascible
posted January 03, 2005 11:27 PM            
Most players just use the keyboard and mouse. And though this is unfathomable to me, some just use the keyboard alone. I know Max uses or used a game pad thingamajig - something akin to an X-Box controller. Maybe he'll see this and comment. Anyway, the lack of response is not because people don't want to. It's just that most use the keyboard and mouse.

IP:

jujaga
posted January 03, 2005 11:49 PM         
Irascible is right, and I use the keyboard religiously... heh... I use the space for fire, left right up down for movement, < and > to move the turret, and yep, that's what I use to move, kinda crude if you think about it, but I like it that way...

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

posted January 04, 2005 12:32 AM            
Very cool...thx for the TM pic...LOL

IP:

pablito
posted January 04, 2005 12:41 AM            
That was cool R_dodger!

IP:

Teulk
posted January 04, 2005 12:55 AM            
nifty!!

IP:

VorDesigns
posted January 05, 2005 04:41 PM            
Hi Dodge, cool pics, was that MechWarrior3?

Irascible is right; I use a Scorpious 35 Keyboard only the manufacture changed the keyboard matrix which may have screwed me for good. It has a big trackball for those of you who used to play Centipede and missile command, it's a trade off between the two in ball size.

That and the arrow keys and I'm done.

IP:

kv
posted January 05, 2005 06:08 PM            
ok, I use a joystick (sidewinder forcefeedback2).

my config:
stick:
tank steering (no forward/reverse) on the stick itself.
fire on trigger.
turret to front on main top button.
turret to rear on left top button.
turret to cam on right top button.
camera on hat switch.
turret rotation on stick twist.

four lower buttons:
forward on right button.
reverse on top button.
free look on left button.
"tab" on bottom button. Pressing tab on the keyboard in game shows the current game stats.

You didn't say what stick you have, so hopefully what I listed makes sense.

IP:

max
posted January 05, 2005 10:41 PM         
Cool pics R_dodger

I use a gamepad.

IP:

Vlad
posted January 06, 2005 12:30 AM            
I'm a keyboard/mouse person, myself. WASD for tank movement, and I've got it set so that the mouse looks around freely, and the turret follows the camera as fast as it can. It's great for looking around quickly without having to wait for the turret to turn around.

IP:

Neo
posted January 06, 2005 03:54 PM            
i wish i could get my xbox controller to work with treadmarks. actually, i wish i could get the whole xbox to work with treadmarks.

IP:

Neo
posted January 06, 2005 03:55 PM            
oh, but back when i was bangin, i only used KEYBOARD ARROWS and SPACEBAR to get mad kills up in this piece yo

IP:

pablito
posted January 06, 2005 06:18 PM            
I really didn't want let everyone know the best configuration for the game but:
Keyboard: I use letters w(up), s(down), a(left), d(right){just like the arrows, for driving tank). (Extra buttons: numpad: #1 turret back in place, #2 turret back of tank, 0 chat, 4 (tab).
Mouse: left, right (moves turret left or right), right button= freelock, left button fire >

IP:

Karldar
posted January 07, 2005 10:21 AM            
Nice pics, I needed a good laugh!

When I play, I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro(USB). Um, it's been a while so I'm not sure what all the buttons are configured for.... Trigger for fire, duh. Rudder control for turret rotation and, of course, stick for direction. Only thing I don't like about this setup is the fact that I have to recalibrate the stick every time I reboot the 'puter. Works better than my old MS Sidewinder 3D Pro, tho. My new box doesn't even have a game port. Stupid progress!

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

yugo2
posted January 07, 2005 08:11 PM         

I use a joystick and get plenty of fraggin' done with it. I consider joysticks more fun to use than keyboards, and fun is why I play. After a while, it becomes natural.

-Yugo

IP:

R_dodger
posted January 07, 2005 11:39 PM            
Second shift sucks.. (not too much longer though).

Joystick, I have been using a SideWinder Precision 2... I DO think that it seems the keyboard is faster, but it is kind of nice to relax the fingers and use a joystick... I don't think my setup is too far off others..... I use the fire button of course, and the stick (I don't know what axis is what.. but..) I don't use the left right swing on the joystick, I use the 'twist' for left and right movements. I HAD tried using the twist for the turret, but wow, in exciting moments (all the time) I was all over the place, so I 'twist' left or right for the tank, forward and back for mwwaa..

Now on the top, I have been using the left and right button for turret L/R, and the big button to center the turret (because I wind up getting it all out of whack, it's kind of like a 'clear' button lolol). There is another rocking type button on the top I haven't experimented with, and then for the chats (which as you know I love to do), the cam to gun, I use the buttons on the base. I might keep my eye out for a gamepad to try that though.

Thanks for the replies See everyone soon... oh. and yes there will be more pics coming when I have a dull moment lol... glad you liked em. On the other page there is a few screenshots also, a cool near miss by a cruise missle, Cat^Pablito getting a bead on me with a mass driver (right before I went head over heels), a good shot over the top of a hill by GirlTank, one of =PLT= fragging me with laser's but you can see someone on him with a massdriver from behind... and a few more... NEVER should have learned about the screenshots... NEVER

------------------
I walk among the ignorant

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 08, 2005 12:06 AM            
Hehehe. I play AutoCAD style. [i.e. Keys+Mouse]

IP:

pablito
posted January 08, 2005 12:07 AM            
...i woulda never thought about gpads with pc's unless tm, and frankly. I must have to try one before I reply. Hope too see you on-line.
**it depends on your last shot chances to measure your opportunities.

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted January 08, 2005 09:04 AM            
Cat and Mouse tactics with a lot of cursing keys!

IP:

=CAT=Viper-II
posted January 11, 2005 11:40 AM            
Max gave me the tip after my Gravis Exterminater would not config....I than "sw" to the Saltek g-pad but it ran slow...Max suggested that I "sw" to a analog g-pad "FireStorm Digital 3" works great, runs a little slow chasing another tank, so I use arrow keys in a run I gain more speed..key board mouse are the ulimate contols, but fingers give out lol !{old fingers I guess}..Joy stick and Saltek g-pad, I had to re-con -fig with each boot A real pain !....

R_dodger I like the shot with the cop cking out a TM tank, parked in a no parking zone..cool !

Ps It's a Thrustmaster 3 g-pad
[This message has been edited by =CAT=Viper-II (edited January 11, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by =CAT=Viper-II (edited January 11, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by =CAT=Viper-II (edited January 12, 2005).]

IP: