This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Tsunami Death Toll
synack
posted December 28, 2004 09:14 PM         
Over 55,000 dead at the time I write this. How many thousands more in the days to come?

Our petty differences on this BBS are insignificant.

Let's get real, friends.

Pray for the lost soles and their families.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 28, 2004 10:50 PM            
I cant prey... but i can wish them hope and peace in their time of mourning. They are calling this the biggest natural disaster in modern history.

Any word on Arthur C. Clarke ? I understand he lives on Sri-Lanka.

IP:

jujaga
posted December 28, 2004 11:21 PM         
I stand there, wondering why this ever had to happen, and I give all the victims my mourning and hope they will be ok.

------------------
FISH!!! I have fun!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 29, 2004 12:03 AM            
"wondering why this ever had to happen"
- Tectonic plates are always moving, applying ever growing pressure, at some point they give way and slide passed each other for a way, that causes earthquakes.

If the sea didnt get it, the Californian coastline probably would have... that that would have been a far worse disaster, especially given that the whole western seaboard (san andreas fault line) is overdue a massive quake as it is.... same as japan, although they got a few decades repreave thx largely to the cobe incident.

Its a unique and harsh reminder that we are not masters of our own destiny, mothernature can kick our asses too.

IP:

THETAXI
posted December 29, 2004 12:10 AM            
I was actually at the beach when that happened. They said it was felt all over the world. It was kind of freaky when I got back home and heard that 50 thousand peepz that were doing the same thing I was just doing passed away.

[This message has been edited by THETAXI (edited December 29, 2004).]

IP:

jujaga
posted December 29, 2004 12:17 AM         
That is quite scary, and also, do u think I don't know earth science? I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid, anyways, one thing is for sure, we are all under mother nature's mercy

------------------

IP:

corpse
posted December 29, 2004 12:49 AM            
Disease fears rise as tsunami toll passes 63,000
Bodies, many of them children, still filled beaches and choked hospital morgues, raising fears of disease.
the aftermath could prove every bit as deadly as the initial onslaught of the tsunamis.

IP:

jujaga
posted December 29, 2004 01:54 AM         
Now the toll is 68,000; if this keeps up, there may be a problem with disease, with all the corpses and all

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 29, 2004 02:12 AM            
jujaga wrote
quote:
I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid

- Interesting lol ....

IP:

corpse
posted December 29, 2004 11:11 AM            
jujaga wrote

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid

LOL! now thats funny

------------------
you can't kill whats already dead !

LMMFAO!

IP:

jujaga
posted December 29, 2004 02:40 PM         
... this was another pun I made up "Don't turn left, it's not right..." lol...

------------------

IP:

Teulk
posted December 29, 2004 02:44 PM            
wow...........

IP:

The Cruiser
posted December 30, 2004 10:19 AM         
The toll may very well pass 100,000 strange that most animals sensed the danger , and were therefore spared .
I guess we as advanced beings , have lost the 6th sense .
Also strange , that the world is sickened by a natural disaster , but aloof to the carnage in Iraq , where the killing is man made so to speak ....not LMAO .

IP:

corpse
posted December 30, 2004 11:28 AM            
Tsunami death toll soars to 114,000

IP:

The Cruiser
posted December 30, 2004 11:32 AM         
Good Lord , talk about WMD ...... Weather of Mass Destruction .

IP:

Teulk
posted December 30, 2004 12:08 PM            
MAn..and the aftermath has yet to begin---so sad..

IP:

=DNX= Ni
posted December 30, 2004 12:45 PM            
so many remote areas still to be considered!

IP:

VorDesigns
posted January 05, 2005 04:54 PM            
This happened because the technology available and in place in areas more regularly affected by such occurance were not considered needed in that region and the technology also comes with a hefty price tag.

The price of human lives is cheap until the bill of the death toll comes due.

A warning twenty minutes could have saved thousands of lives; we have the technology.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 05, 2005 05:25 PM            
The problem is that some areas with a high population density, or poor roads, would have needed at least an hour notice.

I wouldn't be surprised for the toll to go over a quarter million.

Remember, they have no idea how many people got swept out to sea, until the missing persons reports start comming in over the next few months, and even then, not everyone will be accounted for.

Terrible.

Especially some of the shreiffs and town leaders who use the driking water trucks to wash out their houses. One of them got caught on tape by a CNN reporter. Its disgusting.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 05, 2005).]

IP:

corpse
posted January 06, 2005 12:01 AM            
hope this link works LOL
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=408

IP:

jujaga
posted January 06, 2005 12:12 AM         
Man... this sucks... so many people dead and many more injured emotionally and physically... When will the madness end?

------------------
=MOD= FISH!!! Whee!!! RB/RBT/TM anyone? Modulus :D Firefox 1.0 Rocks!!!

IP:

=CAT=Viper-II
posted January 06, 2005 12:52 AM            
What a sad day that the earth claimed all those lives....it's almost impossible for the mind to grasph.....May God have mercy on there souls!
At this time over 150,000 lost there lives, one never knows what each day holds for any of us !...How the candel of life can be snuff out in a blink of a eye !...May they rest in peace !......

Vortex you say that the technolgy is avalable..I think it would have saved many lives....what sticks in my craw how in God's name does 150,000 people move to high ground at once or in this 20 min window...Look at our cites,modern x-ways 4 -5 lane super highways, tunnels under the ocean, briges over the ocean, subways,buses, taxis helo's it takes many of us two, three, some four times the trip time to and from our jobs in these modern metropolises....How can we save over 150,000 people in 20 min ?

[This message has been edited by =CAT=Viper-II (edited January 06, 2005).]

IP:

coaxs
posted January 06, 2005 02:17 AM            
Well if the wave washed 2 miles inland. The only thing you would have to do is be able to run 2 miles in 20minutes. A somewhat reasonable task.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 06, 2005 02:28 AM            
The ArchBishop of Canerbury says this event made him question gods existence...... interesting.

Whats more interesting is the continual assistance and donations, India has been saying all week "Enough already, we can take it from here".... Why is nobody listening ?

Whats more in question is where the USA got its millions in donation from after Bush was told TWICE by congress that there was no more money (for the Iraq war)... So wheres that money coming from ? Probably the same place ours is.... we can just poke out 200 million to another country, no problem, why cant our governments ever see the need in our own countries (homeless, slums, high crime areas etc) and just "spend" that ammount as quickly to safeguard its own ppl ?

Not that im saying its wrong to help india, but i wonder why our governments so readily put hand in pocket for another countries ppl when we say we cant afford to help our own ? AND in the face of being told categoricly and in no uncertain terms by India THANK YOU, WE HAVE ENOUGH NOW.

..... makes you wonder doesnt it .....

IP:

=CAT=Viper-II
posted January 06, 2005 04:14 PM            
Very good point Matrix....does make one question the action of the few in charge of the many !...................

As AchBishop is baffel by this horrific event..he is not alone..yes, very interesting
that he should express his thoughts in such a manner !

[This message has been edited by =CAT=Viper-II (edited January 06, 2005).]

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2