|
Author Topic:   I WANT TO SHOOT WINDOWS XP AND MCAFFEE DEAD!
THETAXI
posted November 06, 2004 12:24 AM            
Dam do I wish I coulf frag them 'till death.

You might have heard me complaining lately out of the blue reguarding "lag". Well, it wasn't lag. It's been my anti-virus checking and inspecting every bullet that I try to shoot someone (in treadmarks). So I send out a bullet (a message) and it has to scan it... A TRILLION TIMES. WTF.

So... now I figure. SP2 is supposed to increase security and such. So it isn't allowing me to have a TV capture device, play treadmarks right... and use other graphic-intensive device PROPERLY. So there's NO POINT in buying a $999,0000 video card if every move you make is going to be scanned by the antivirus!!!

I WANT TO THROW MY PC OUT OF THE WINDOW!!!

IP:

THETAXI
posted November 06, 2004 12:48 AM            
OK, what the hell?

My system is now running slower than ever!!!

I tried playing older games like Medal of Honor and it's now running slower with my GeForce 6800 than it did with my Radeon 9200?!!! (BTW TM Gods... you are still the one on MY altar!)

But anyways. is THIS what "bottlenecking" is all about? I upgraded to PC3200 (400Mhz) RAM, (while my sys is still on an Athlon 2600+ {1.92Mhz} CPU!)Other than that, the latest change to my PC is my video card!! (besides upgrades such as SP2 and McAfee regular updates).

Please... may I consult with the Treadmark bunch as to WTF IS WRONG WITH MY PC?!!!?!? (asuming there's no virus or trojan involved)

[This message has been edited by THETAXI (edited November 06, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 06, 2004 03:01 AM            
When running ANY online game:

- Stop your AV Software
- Make sure your firewall didnt bock off the ports used
- Switch of all IM and EMail clients
- Make sure ur system is free of spyware
- Have the latest Video Drivers installed
- Preferably play from a clean boot
- Run as few progs in the systray as possible
- Run no progs on the open desktop unless you absolutely need them (like hypercam / hypersnap / packet sniffer etc)
- Make sure you have plenty of hard drive space in case the game needs to cache information
- DO NOT have any downloads running
- DO NOT use Kazza or other p2p
- DO NOT have forum pages open with maybe some flash or java on them

The more resources u use b4 u start ur game, the slower its likly to be.

IP:

yugo2
posted November 06, 2004 03:28 AM         
Taxi-
I just upgraded my v-card from a ti4200 (great card for performance, it just died is all) to a radeon 9600xt so I have been through a bit of what you are confronting.

A couple of things I learned are below. But first of all, I am assuming that you uninstalled your macafee, if only temporarily, and you are still experiencing slow performance.

Important question: what mobo do you have (you didn't upgrade that too did you?) and what is the chipset on that board.

Did you upgrade your chipset drivers, especially since you are putting a new v-card on there that you need to make compatible with your mobo (where the chipset lies). Via's hyperion 4in1 drivers are generally pretty good if Via is the chipset brand you are running. If you do in fact have a Via chipset on your mobo , you probably have additional driver translators called Virtual GART drivers (required to run your old Radeon card with Via chipset and drivers) still on there that may need to be uninstalled and could be a hang up for the machine.

Also, did you upgrade your bios as well. that can play a role in getting the card to work. If the new memory install is the issue, this bios upgrade will also help. Also check to make sure that you are installing the latest version of the actual graphics card driver, not just the one in that came with the CD in the box, since they usually are in a rush to get the product to market without fixing all the glitches. Companies often plan to do that glitch-fixing later and release a driver update which the product purchaser is responsible for finding and installing.

Windows XP SP2 I hear is a major piece of crap and is causing a lot of problems. Might want to check on MS website and some of the nerd techy blogs to see if this is a known issue. YOu sometimes can unroll/retract SP upgrades- jnot sure if this is the cas with XP. I run 2000 precisely because I think XP causes lots of unnecessary problems like this.

If all else fails (I hesitate to tell you this because it is a big pain in the A), I hear that a clean install with the newest bios, v-card driver, chipset driver, and chipset driver translator if necessary can get your computer running best. This eliminates additonal program/hardware conflict issues as well as any old driver junk you may have lying around somewhere in your OS that is confusing the computer.

Before you do that though, may I suggest you run this issue by Vortex- I talked to him the other day and he knows quite a bit about how to make hardware communicate with other hardware at a level of skill that is well beyond my own.

One other point, I never make more than one change at a time to my computer, be it software or hardware install. After I upgrade/install, I dink around with the computer to make sure everything is working. That way, if the puter is not working then I know what started the cause of the problem. This takes time and is a pain in the A but computers run pretty much on the "if-then" way of going about things (i.e. IF I install this hardware, THEN I get this change in performance, good or bad). If you control the number of "ifs" you plug into the machine, when you get a "then" you don't like, then you know which "if" is probably causing the problem. Conversely, you could uninstall your upgrades sequentially and figure out when the puter starts working again.

Last thing, shameless marketing, I have a brand new ti4200 vcard that I got back on RMA from XFX if anyone wants to make me an offer to buy. I bought the 9600XT while I was waitng for it in the mail and am using that now. The ti4200 has never been used and it is a great card model. My 9600XT can't even beat it on my system. After all the work it took to get the new 9600card installed, I don't have the heart to replace it now with the new ti4200.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 06, 2004 06:00 AM            
If you switch on with a 4ti card and find red vertical lines on the boot screens followed by a black screen just a minute into the desktop - just take ur card out and reinsert it firmly.

Ti cards have a tendency to transfer heat to the BUS and thereby work themselves loose. 4Ti cards need to be in pretty tight though, ive seen some ppl hold em in with straps and clips before now, expect a cracked mobo PCB if youy try to put it in while the mobo is in place. Best tip is to take the mobo out, then mount it (obviously on a static free surface)... then put it back in the case and re-wire it all back together.

IP:

synack
posted November 06, 2004 07:30 AM         
McAfee does not scan every move you make. What it does is to scan the TM executable when you first start up TM. If it finds no viruses, that's it. It's no longer scanning the game activity. So, McAfee is not your culprit. I run McAfee all of the time, including during TM. I've experienced no problems.

IP:

harmless
posted November 06, 2004 05:11 PM            
personally, i have always found that the mcafee and norton anitvirus suites are bloated and resource intensive programs. they interfere way to much and do not play nicely with windows. there are so many other options out there for antivirus and firewall, that one never has to use mcafee or norton. do yourself a favor, uninstall mcafee, never consider norton, and try other the other options out there.

IP:

synack
posted November 06, 2004 05:33 PM         
I respectfully suggest that your advice to uninstall anti-virus software, regardless of the brand, is ill-advised.

Information / Internet security has been my business for over 15 years. The biggest virus problems in corporate environments, in my personal experience, has been with PCs with no A/V protection or A/V protection that isn't kept up-to-date. That, and people who disable their A/V software for personal reasons. Thankfully, we can lock down installations today, and minimize that situation. It wasn't always the case.

Thetaxi, I understand your frustration, but I suggest you think twice before disabling your A/V software. Modern hardware runs at speeds that make A/V software almost unnoticable.

IP:

Irascible
posted November 06, 2004 06:12 PM            
I must have unusual browsing habits because I KNOW what you're saying is true Synack. Yet at the same time I haven't had anti-virus software for a few years now. It's been over two months since I ran Ad-Aware so just for kicks I just did so. It found a dozen tracking cookies and that was it. All that leads me to believe that if you sit behind a home router keep Windows patched, you'll be OK.

Though on second thought, I realize now that I DO have weird habits. I don't and never have done that file sharing crap (AKA theft). Hmm. Have you been acquiring entertainment from "alternative distribution" Theta???

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 06, 2004 08:33 PM            
Youre highly unlikly to get a virus if:

A) you stay away from "dodgy" sites
B) you dont use P2P fileshare progs
C) you dont use hacked/pirate software
D) you dont own any "illegal" cd's

If you stay clean and legit, youll most likly have a healthy system - doesnt hurt to scan once in a while tho.

IP:

synack
posted November 06, 2004 09:01 PM         
Just offering my $.02

Bless you all.

Good luck.

Outta here.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted November 06, 2004 09:50 PM            
First, I'm with Synack.

Second; ThetaXi

When you installed McAfee, did you install the firewall bundle? If yes, consider reviewing the instructions for adjusting it including the Bangalor chat help.

If you did install the McAfee firewall, disable the MS firewall.

The only time that McAfee should slow you down is on access to .ent, .lwo and .luv files. In game play shouldn't notice A/V software. You can explicitly tell your A/V software to ignore these files but, like Synack said, A/V software is relatively un-noticable on modern hardware with adequate RAM.

XP SP2 is rife with issues and prior to installing it, I downloaded every driver I could find off of the web site and updated everything I had installed. I still get intermittent problems on the NVidia driver on a laptop. I would point my finger at a driver before suspected my A/V software unless your A/V software is actually popping up and complaining in game play and even then, I would suspect the firewall first.

In short, I would stop, put down the hammer and go check for updates.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 07, 2004 02:12 AM            
Its a good idea to check DirectX too... look for the DxDiag tool in the DirectX Folder - you may need to reinstall it.

IP:

Rex R
posted November 07, 2004 03:59 AM            
dx oh yeah you'll prolly have to reinstall that after installing a new vid card, most times the vid portion gets uninstalled when you(or the install program) tell windows to remove the old card. a stop by the windows update site is a good idea.

IP: