|
Author Topic:   Winodws XP SP St2pid
VorDesigns
posted October 12, 2004 04:47 PM            
For your enjoyment:

Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Chat.
The Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Chat session has been accepted.

{Microsoft}Thank you for using Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Chat Support. My name is Girish May I address you as MassiveWallaDuDu? (Yes or No Please)
{Customer}yes
{Microsoft}Kindly help us with your Phone number and E-mail address for our records, this will smoothen our future communication.
{Customer}Phone XXX-XXX-XXXX
{Customer}E-Mail Stupid_MS_Customer@YouIdiot.com
{Microsoft}Please let me know if you have any previous communication records (Case IDs) with Microsoft
{Customer}Yes, but none pertaining to this system and or this issue. It has been over a year since my last communique and I believe that another e-mail address was in use at that time.
{Microsoft}Ok,
{Microsoft}How can I assist you with sp2?
{Customer}Post installation of XP-SP2 on this system; the usual and customary user cannot log in to the system if it is not logged into the domain. This is bad since this is a laptop.
{Customer}The domain administrator log in functions using cached credential (I assume).
{Microsoft}Since when are you facing this problem ?
{Customer}Since the installation of SP2
{Microsoft}Have you tried making new user ?
{Customer}What kind of user? Domain? Local?
{Microsoft}Is your computer on network domain or stand alone computer .
{Customer}1. This computer is a laptop. 2. This computer is running Winodws XP Professional SP2. 3. This system is a member of a domain. 4. This system is used both on the domain and, until installation of SP2 as a mobile tool not logged into the domain.
{Microsoft}First You need to remove the computer from domain .
{Microsoft}By right clicking My computer ---Properties-------Computer name change .
{Customer}You're kidding? So what you are saying is first, I have to break all of the installed applications because of a flaw in in SP2.
{Customer}I know how to drop a computer out of the domain.
{Microsoft}Had you tried that ?
{Customer}Never mind; I will wipe the system and rebuild it up to its state prior to SP2 breaking it.
{Customer}I am sorry that both our time has been wasted.
{Customer}I already have a broken system and I came for assistance
{Customer}I didn't come for a script instructing me to break more of the installation.
{Microsoft}So mean to say that you would be trying to uninstall SP2
{Customer}I'm saying that based on input from other system administrators who have had various issues with SP2
{Customer}The best method of uninstalling SP2 is starting over.
{Customer}And if I have to drop a system out of the domain because of a bad service pack
{Customer}I have to rebuild the system anyway.
{Customer}I don't blame you
{Microsoft}I am sorry to hear that you had an unsatisfactory experience post the installation of Service Pack2 leading you taking the decision of its uninstallation, my apologies for the inconvenience caused and to ensure that you get and expertise support with the process I am escalating your request to a Senior Support Professional.
{Customer}Dropping a system out of a domain to fix a bad service pack is just dumb. Orphaned registry entries and file system security issues abound never to be fully resolved.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com/tm

IP:

pablito
posted October 13, 2004 08:01 PM            
mhh... I wouldn't install any new packs unless something I want to use doesn't work without it....
I'm sure you had more reasons for it... but to me, if is not broken i won't try fixing it... implementing sounds good but if it doesn't work.... well... reinstall all... which i hate. Don't care if the whole installation goes smooth.. I hate having to find all cds and install everything again.. I don't have a ghost utility, therefore... my OS better last for a long time lol.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 13, 2004 10:40 PM            
The rather novel thing is, that evening after logging in as usual on the network and then trying again the next day off the network, it worked.
Now, I may blow my password every once in a while, but I don't blow it when I say and type if out loud again and again and again and again.
Clearly, if you have a domain client system and you blow it once, SP2 does something stupid.

And yes, I had to try it somewhere so that I could support some of the features; the firewall is kinda cool, stupid interface (BlackIceDefender is much better; they should have just eaten that company and added the product). Zone Alarm is a pain in the butte.

[This message has been edited by VorDesigns (edited October 13, 2004).]

IP:

THETAXI
posted October 14, 2004 11:16 AM            
Help!! Please?!

Speaking of stupid WIndows XP, my McAfee updated itself and now is blocking outgoing TCP packets every minute and 20 seconds, sent by NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking adapter. I can't play treadmarks anymore! I get 2 minutes into the game and then I time out!! Does anyone know what can be done? Here is what the computer says verbatum:

quote:
McAfee Firewall blocked an outgoing TCP packet. The remote address associated with the traffic was 131.94.13.141. The remote port was 445. The local port on your PC was 1437 [ephemeral]. The network adapter for the traffic was "NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter".

Please help me?

IP:

pablito
posted October 14, 2004 11:40 AM            
temporary solution is to disable your firewall..
*more on the way.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 14, 2004 12:18 PM            
Can't you tell the firewall that yer networking device is a trusted item?

IP:

pablito
posted October 14, 2004 12:25 PM            
Maybe Vortex /someone else might bring a solution...
but if i use my community college credits:
That port your firewall is blocking (445) refers to the older implementation for ports 137, 138, 139 (NetBIOS, NetBIOS datagram (UDP), Windows File and Printer Sharing)... the most scary ports out there (for hacker purposes)... the new McAfee update is blocking port 445...(Server Message Block, a message format used by DOS and Windows to share files, directories and devices).
Maybe there's a patch for the new download or maybe you can restrict your settings to not block outgoing tcp packets.

* I just don't get why would that cause you a problem... (Is your pc part of a LAN?... maybe others are requesting this service and that's why you're connection is being interrupted).

IP:

pablito
posted October 14, 2004 12:34 PM            
ah yeah: automatic updates suck!!
I rather be prompted for anything than have to deal with consequences. Windows automatic updates is a big no no!

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 14, 2004 12:40 PM            
Theta; port 445 is usually used by MSSQL.

I suggest that you deep scan you system for viruses and then use the free web based scanner at http://www.pandasoftware.com.
TreadMarks does not use port 445 or 1437 to the best of my knowledge or I would be having the same problems.
If you installed XP SP2, you need to pick which firewall you plan on using, either MS firewall which does a good job of blocking inbound but doesn't do much of anything about outbound.
Because you are reporting period based disconnects; Please submit a list of applications running by right clicking on the task bar, selecting task manager and listing the processes by image name and user name.

You may submit this offline to me at support@vordesgns.com or use the TreadMarks address. Put Thetaxi or TreadMarks in the subject.

Let me know.

IP:

THETAXI
posted October 14, 2004 01:03 PM            
THANKS! Will do! Due to monetary reasons I was forced to come to work... again. I'll get back into the issue as soon as I get back home. THANK YOU!!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 14, 2004 01:20 PM            
Grab a port scanner like "Active Ports" (freeware, do a search), you can monitor the situation much better that way too.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 14, 2004 03:18 PM            
I concur. Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by VorDesigns (edited October 14, 2004).]

IP:

pablito
posted October 14, 2004 03:47 PM            
Theta, if you're experiencing the time out or extreme lag... We all are... so, it's not just you... (if).
For as long as this is on, (and since lda, is embedded with the ctf, races and such) other options are dinochrome and the other servers i still haven't downloaded their stuff!!! sorry!!

IP: