|
Author Topic:   Clan battle maps...would it be possible to try nonstocked maps
posted September 27, 2004 12:26 AM            
OK...I already know what this will create, but the lag was dreadful. The stock maps are excellent race maps, ok DDM maps, but not clan maps due to their placement of weapon points and the number of players that attend.

It has been my experience in testing maps in single player mode that the lag one experience is directional proportional to the amount of tank action and land deformation occurring at that location. If you spread out the action and have weapon points not in the battlefield the lag will go away along with the spawn fragging.

Mind you, there are other factors that contribute to the lag, folks coming in midway in the battle…etc, but those we cannot control. I would also advise against messing with the weapon’s crater and depth in the projectile.ent file. I am expecting and wanting the terrain deformation, not to have it messy the game up for me.

There are lots modded maps to chose from that have lots of weapon points that will not lead to massive spawn fragging. The new maps by Sailor and Kong have made would be good choice, and even the clan maps would work.

I think it is time again to reconsider modded maps for the clan battles.

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 12:42 AM            
Couldn't you take the option to create a crates off the maps? just for the clan battles anyways?
I also noticed how a simple round of machine gun on a piece of terrain will give total LAG!!

[This message has been edited by pablito (edited September 27, 2004).]

IP:

posted September 27, 2004 12:55 AM            
no...I expect that deformation for protect and for digging someone out.

I remember for the b-day bash we use the nondeformation weapons. I use a dirt ball to throw down protection to stop a mass driver...guess what...no dirt and I was fragged.

And in the same battle I was trying to dig someone out with MRL's...guess what...they were safe.

Dont mess with the deformation...it will mess up your game play.

I have tested over a 100 DM maps using the same parameters. The maps that did well had 40-60 weapon points spread out and not in the battle feild. They were design for a larger group.

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 01:05 AM            
This will surprise you: Go for it! But when we get 22 players again; and when we STILL have crap loads of lag; I fully expect you to eat crow publicly. If not, serve it up and don't forget the ketchup. But ONLY serve it up if we have 22 players or more. And don't serve it up if there's only a slight improvement. There may very well be, but so what? Is that all we want? To go from incredibly laggy to just laggy? What Matrix calls my tournament idea would solve the problem VERY well and PERMANENTLY. But we wouldn't want that.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited September 27, 2004).]

IP:

Rex R
posted September 27, 2004 01:52 AM            
as I recall there are 2 major ingredements that cause probs 1 is terrane deformation the other is scorch...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 07:10 AM            
Im not opposed to it Ras, but in my experience with the TM community, ppl dont go for a tournament style event.

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 10:16 AM            
GO FOR THE MODDED MAPS! now I want to play them!!! (i hope they work thought

MORE PLAYERS! MORE PLAYERS!! I'll bet you this will bring... guess what: MORE PLAYERS!@@!@...

ye men of little faith!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 11:24 AM            
Theres a whole slew of mod maps out there... nobody installs or plays them... when was the last time you saw one of my maps on a public server ? or Kanzass, or one of the anarchy maps, or one of sailors maps or kongs...

They just arent popular. They dont bring in more players, and in fact its easier for every1 to stick with stock maps since nobody (or very few) will goto the effort to use mod maps... this is why tournament styles and multiday events fail here - its either lack of effort, or unavailability of players... the community simply isnt big enough to support such a structure.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited September 27, 2004).]

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 11:26 AM            
give me a couple of names of the most irrational and cool maps you've done and I'll download them

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 12:02 PM            
Theres a few here: DMF Mods

DMF is here (bit not been updated in a year - nothing to add really, but theres some cool downloads) DMF TM Page

Theres an Ice Map here: DNX Ice Trench

The rest (22) are in the Anarchy Pack here: Anarchy Server

You could also try our HUD Theme *Fire and Ice* or the CLEAN FONT replacement for the square TM one (see the dmf site for that)

On my stuff you can play in a hounted house, play in an eyeball or play inside the tron lightcycle map...

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 12:36 PM            
I'll start with the Anarchy pack when I'll get home

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 12:46 PM            
If you intend to run it as a server let me know - theres a few things u need to know before hand.

Teh file is zipped AND rar'd for maximum compression, also, youd need the update patch... and... youre not used to dealing with dom maps, many dont like them so a few tips on map selection maybe called for... the map graphics tell all anyway, just have a look in the maps folder.

And, if i may be so bold, feedback is always appreciated, good or bad

IP: