This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Yes or No: A clan war option that will eliminate lag forever.
Irascible
posted September 26, 2004 11:51 PM            
The first game sucked royally. The rest were only tolerable because enough people left after the first. Barring someone coming up with some free and very fat bandwidth, we should change something.

Just an idea: Playoffs followed by finals.
Next month the top two teams take a break and the rest play each other. As many as four clans will play in the playoff month. However, those four clans will likely be the smallest and the game won't likely have more than 15 players. That means no lag. In the month following, the top two from the last final play against the playoff winner and one team takes the crown. Again, with only three teams to play the final there's still only 15 players and therefore NO LAG.

At the moment anyway, BWL and DNX would likely only play every other month. But as has been pointed out, a clan match is a different beast. We already exclude people from it now for the greater good. And keep in mind, before our current schedule was implemented we averaged a clan match about once every 2.5 months. Having a winner only every other month is actually how it always use to be.

Of course, that is not the only way to do it. But it may be the least problematic of any that could be formulated. Doing the playoff and final all in one night would be way too long for a lot of people. Plus wed have to message the teams that were waiting for the final which would probably mean one wasted game between the playoff and final. Doing a playoff and final each and every month is still too much for a lot of people... IMO. Assembling our best once a month is already hard enough.

This thread will NOT be a flame fest and you'll get none from me. I simply suggest another option. If there is no popular consensus then we just nix the idea. No biggie. No one idea should be forced down anyone's throat. You listening Coax?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 12:23 AM            
What youre talking about is more akin to a tournament rather than a mashed up ddm.. I would be against this idea personally; what id rather see happen is we dip into our collective pockets and buy a server from MPZ, JOLT or NGUK etc etc that kind of setup. The bandwidth would be more than enough.

Failing that id say scrap the DDM's or limit the players to 3 from each clan.

IP:

posted September 27, 2004 12:30 AM            
Oops...sorry I started anohter post of wanting to try nonstock maps. That would get rid of most of the lag. I have tested this, folks have tried it and agreed that modded maps work better. Folks have got to want to do modded maps again.

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 12:36 AM            
How about we divide the clans into two divisions: 1 and 2 .. then we rotate the clans... and after we'll find out the two best clans, they play for the finals, while the others play for the rest of the positions....

Tentative schedule:
Division 1: DNX, BWL, FL & TC/RC
Division 2: GA, LWA, CAT

Division 1 can play the saturday and Division 2 can play sunday

Next month it rotates:

Division 1: BWL, FL, TC/RC, CAT
Division 2: DNX, GA, LWA

and so on...

It should take about 4 battles to find out each clan stats and Saturday event can hold 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th(if needed)
and the Sunday will hold the 1st & 2nd place clan battle....

It will work and give everyone a chance to play.... all you need is the time and tons of cooperation.

Of course I rather see a good server and hold everyone... but this can save some $$ for those....

IP:

posted September 27, 2004 12:45 AM            
All of this is too much effort and too much to remember for a game that most of you have said would not be alive today.

Also, I want to play in a large group. What you all are talking about is to reduce the number of player to fit the map. You need to rethink it and get different maps.

The lag problem is simple, chose modded maps that are design for large groups. The stock maps are excellent race map, ok DDM maps, loosy clan battle maps due to the number of players and weapon spawn point placements.

You all have played clan battles on the clan maps and the lag was gone. It is a matter of folks going back to using modded maps that are design for a large group.

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 12:51 AM            
And you're against the idea Matrix because? I saw opposition without reason. Wait... I know. Because it's my idea. :P In any event, I'll take your three player idea over what we had.

The problem with what you suggest Pab is that you won't get people to show. The once a week and once a month events work in TM precisely because they're so infrequent. Even with the recent few new players, there's still not enough players to support multi-day events. Matrix can tell you about multi-day events.

What a lousy memory you have 666. LDA's server simply can't handle 20 to 25 players. It never could, irregardless of what map. Even in the teens it's usually laggy. But I'll make you a trade. You can have your precious clan maps for clan wars if you give me my playoff scenario or Matrix's 3 player scenario. Of course, there's all these other people that we have to sway too.

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 12:53 AM            
Let's try clan maps again next time and put any of these ideas on hold. Five bucks says that if over 20 show, it will still be a lag fest.

(BTW, I'm serious. Let's try it again. I make good on all my bets.)

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 12:57 AM            
But it's not much too remember!! heck, I'll remind everyone everyday... The fourth weekend: 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday a month... If you divide clans and rotate them you get to play... no matter what map or whatever... NFL did this... Monday night football peoples!!
Anyways, just an idea... 3 people per clan? I'll go for that too > : )

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 12:58 AM            
As far as saying whether or not the game would be alive today, did I ever give you a date? I don't think so sparky. Did someone else?

But here's my date: October 1, 2006
By then LDA will have pulled the plug on their game server. Why that date? I dunno. I just want to see if I'm still around and if someone pulls this thread up to rub it in my face.

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 01:03 AM            
Ohh, I think people will just stick around for that

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 01:03 AM            
It's not a question of remember Pab. It's a question of getting people to show.

But 666 is on his clan map tear... again. So, I say we try it and be done with it.

IP:

pablito
posted September 27, 2004 01:05 AM            
Go with the modded clans.. it's cool... trials until results.. but people are showing up... hello!!!! that's why we're having lag!!! do'h!

IP:

coaxs
posted September 27, 2004 01:10 AM            
This would be way too complicated to organize. If lag is the issue eliminate cratering and scorching, you will see lag decrease significantly.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 01:11 AM            
Changing to the clan maps would be an excellent idea, also consider the mini maps that are available, that will cut down the amount of deformed land by 75%

Ras, no m8 not because it was ur idea, its a great idea, but it wouldnt work with this game - its too complex a formula and ppl would easily get lost. Also, as far as multiday events go - they dont work for this community, its been tried.

Ideally chose maps without vector objects on them, plenty of widespread weapons and keep the maps as flat and small as possible.

For example, Flatland is a good one for clan battles, its not only an even playing field, but an excellent test of skill. If need be I can create some low lag maps... but, would they get used, would i be wasting my time, or would they get edited without consent.. all this puts me off modding anything, but if request, i will provide, but for pity's sake, provide some feedback and I can make the necessary adjustments - remodding behind ppls backs is abuse of trust.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited September 27, 2004).]

IP:

posted September 27, 2004 01:14 AM            
I dont care if it is the clan maps or Sailors or Kong's newer, these maps will do also.

For example, the Glacier map is bowl shaped, I had a view of most of the battle field thus the lag increase due to the amount of deformation and tank action. When I got off to the fringes I was able to play better seeing a smaller portion of the total deformation.

The reason we dropped the modded maps for clan battles is because the attendance had dropped to the teens back in early 2003. Therefore the stock map would suffice.

And another thing, why only 5 players from a clan. I have always hated it. The whole point is to see which clan can get the most members there.

Maybe the last point should not be said, but if 10 DNXer can make it great...the more for me to frag.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 01:17 AM            
quote:
And another thing, why only 5 players from a clan. I have always hated it. The whole point is to see which clan can get the most members there.

Maybe the last point should not be said, but if 10 DNXer can make it great...the more for me to frag.

- Yeah i remember trying that HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA !!!

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 01:17 AM            
Well I'm certainly against complicated ideas. And I thank you for the compliment. I just didn't realize that the bottom four clans playing one month and then that winner playing the top two the next was "complicated".

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 01:19 AM            
We've had that debate 666. Care to revisit it? Go look it up. There's a search link above. Be happy that your frackin clan maps are going to be embraced again and stop pushing it.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 01:20 AM            
Well it may not be complicated to you or me, but theres more than "us" in the community, and you have to take others into account... making your vision very singular. Also the logistics of alternating events caused chaos last time, do you really want to do that again ?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 27, 2004 01:21 AM            
quote:
Be happy that your frackin clan maps are going to be embraced again and stop pushing it.

- Could always use my maps (not that im taking advantage of the situation at all to be pushing it lol)

Would LOVE to see how you handle my domination maps

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited September 27, 2004).]

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 01:25 AM            
We alternate events four times a month. What others do I need to take into account that I haven't? All the players I know are reasonably intelligent. Are there mentally impaired individuals amongst us that I'm unaware of? Could 666 get sued as server admin if he setup such a schedule by virtue of the Americans with Disabilities Act? OMG! You're right! We must not risk it!

(Hmm. I seem to recall you don't always appreciate my sarcasm. We'll see if I've pushed my luck too far. )

IP:

posted September 27, 2004 01:26 AM            
you know, if the 5 player rule is locked. I can see other clans being formed so the locked out player can particpate, which could be cool for the rise in clans...LOL

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 01:31 AM            
Since I can actually get support from people for their ideas, you may even see a 3 player rule. Then we'll have lots of clans! Hell, three to one? I can start a clan of one and be competitive. Of course, what will be real funny is when we have 7 clans of three lagging us out. Then it will be two people. Then 10 clans of two will lag us out. And finally my grand scheme will come to fruition! It'll be twenty clans of one and Clan Ras will dominate our montly clan map based lag fest!!! Muwahahahaha!!!

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited September 27, 2004).]

IP:

posted September 27, 2004 01:34 AM            
er...Ras...what have you been intaking....I hope nothing illegal...LOL

IP:

Irascible
posted September 27, 2004 01:36 AM            
Diet Mountain Dew is SO good that it should be illegal!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2