|
Author Topic:   Upgrade from Win98 to WinXP Help
VorDesigns
posted August 19, 2004 02:49 PM            
Hi,

A player is having problems with his system upgrade getting along with TreadMarks, specifically they are having issues with unzipping the addons into the folder.

I have never dealt with Win9x to WinXP(?Home) installations and rarely work outside the domain model. These are my current queries and suggestions, but I may not be able to provide a satisfactory resoution. If anyone has any input, it would be most appreciated.

Hi,

NP; ok, I am assuming that you upgraded from Win98 to WinXP?Home.

1. What is the drive format configuration? Fat, Fat32, NTFS.
2. Does the system have users or just one user? If it has multiple users, is
the user in question (you) an administrator, a power user or a user?
3. Are there any messages in the event logs that seem to pertain to access
failures?
4. [I have tried every thing, I cut and pasted, in addons folder nothing shows.
] - I assume you tried copy and paste as well.
5. [I have a ? when I d/ld your maps or mods, I get a window that has a addon
folder in it,] - Huh?
6. [I go and extrac all files,it ask where do u want to put files, I go to brs, open E-games folder un zip all files to addons.Nothing shows, I even unzip right to the TRedmark folder, still nothing happens.] - Try downloading and installing WinZip or some equivelant.
7. [I up graded to XP{ not over joyed that I did}] - Start / Setting / Task Bar and Menu Options / Classic Menus - This might provide some relief.

Recap; what you are describing to me sounds like permissions issues, something that you are not accustomed to.

I am going to post this into the forum as well to see if we can get some other assistance.

You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
- http://www.vordesigns.com

I have tried every thing, I cut and pasted, in addons folder nothing shows.
I have a ? when I d/ld your maps or mods, I get a window that has a addon folder
in it,
I go and extrac all files,it ask where do u want to put files, I go to brs, open
E-games folder un zip all files to addons.Nothing shows, I even unzip right to
the TRedmark folder, still nothing happens.I up graded to XP{ not over joyed
that I did}
I had all your maps and mods in my game when I had W-98 SE, no problems
Your maps are really great good job I enjoyed playing in them///But this #$%@ XP
well I'm truley in the dark.....What in Gods name am I doing
wrong??????????????????????????/
Take care

IP:

KONG
posted August 19, 2004 03:09 PM            
maybe this is the problem
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-202

I had some problems with zip files after installing XP, this cleared it up for me

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited August 19, 2004).]

IP:

pablito
posted August 19, 2004 04:04 PM            
If it's the same problem that I think, and Kong's site/link didn't help; then I must say that the e-games platform for TM is a trip! When you follow the d/l instruction from people you create an extra-addon folder every single time... it took me hours to cut and paste all sub-sub folders to the correct and only Addon folder I use... things run ok (but I am afraid to d/l anything lol). (*Changing the Addon folder name doesn't do it for me).
It took me longer then average to realize what's going on... mainly because I didn't bother to read other people's sites and helpful hints (and enjoy more time playing).... but at the end, I had to; and my TM's addon is running almost all mods!! except for hallsted i am.. my pc does not want to computate those downloads for anything on this earth!!
+ the e-games folders' scheme sucks!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 19, 2004 09:22 PM            
Heres my solution : if they can produce a valid reciept of sale, why not ISO a AAAGame 1.6 cd and make it available to them as an alternative install.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 20, 2004 04:51 AM            
Ahh, I know what the problem is.. its the version of the games. The e-games version has EXTRA FOLDERS in it. The game TM is buried several folders deep.
How I fixed it myself on my machine. I used a file mover program, like Servant Salamander (do a google search for it, and you will find it- its freeware, iirc). With this program, I moved ALL the TM related folders up to the c:\programs\Treadmarks level, rather than the c:\programs\egames\games\Treadmarks folder configuration that this latest install does for you. Most everything other than the TM game can then be deleted. Yep, just junk it. It has game launchers, and launchers to go to the egames website and such nonesense. Once the extraneous stuff is deleted, one can upzip to c:\programs\treadmarks (root folder) just like the olden days- oh, and don't forget to patch it to v1.6 (if needed).
I hope that helps!

IP:

pablito
posted August 20, 2004 10:17 AM            
g1, you should put ga_queen reply where new comers arrive!!
You know sometimes I'm really slow... I used the e-games' icon to start TM for the longest time LOL! and then when I started learning about all of you guys servers/mods...etc... I was like doh!!! TM is just buried in this crap... made a shortcut of the tm.exe at the desktop and presto.... but until now, I remember my humble past... LOL! :P

IP:

VorDesigns
posted August 20, 2004 02:07 PM            
This is why I took the conversation thread out of the personal and into the public.

Thank You all for your contributions.

IP:

KONG
posted August 20, 2004 06:54 PM            
? so what was the problem?

IP:

Dudymas
posted August 22, 2004 10:42 PM            
HEY! In THAT case, can someone help me out in solving some differential equations for making some targeting algorithms with roboships ?
I know I could use law of cosines, but that's two (2(too(to))) easy. I need to be able to use vector crud in college anyway (and to all who know I haven't had calc 1 yet, SHUDDAP! I'll try anyways. I can integrate your demise if you mock me! Just see!).

IP:

VorDesigns
posted August 23, 2004 03:46 PM            
Uh,

Seems I spoke too soon; still getting help queries.

Based on the last message, here is my guess; OE.

What i think is happening is that each time the zipped addon is being extracted, the existing is being replaced.

I will let you know.

IP: