|
Author Topic:   why dont this work
Drake12345
posted August 06, 2004 03:53 PM            
ok its installed i laod the game i choose the pgrahics i want and yes ive tried all 3 and as soon as i clicked play now!.... nothing happens the little screen disapears and nownothing loads... i do control alt delte and it doesnt even show the game running..how can i fix this???

IP:

coaxs
posted August 06, 2004 04:38 PM            
Go to your video card's manufacturer and download their latest opengl drivers for a start.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

THETAXI
posted August 06, 2004 05:00 PM            
Speaking of video cards... does anyone have the Radeon 9600 All-in-Wonder? Is it good? I currently have a 9200, but i have to cut back on the graphics when playing doom3. I HATE cutting back. Any suggestions? BESIDES the $400.00 Radeon 9800? (9600 selling for about $150.00 at ebay).

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted August 06, 2004 05:16 PM            
With XP you might want to right click the exe and choose properties and set the compatibility mode to win2k.... XP can have a problem going to full screen.

Jim

IP:

A2597
posted August 06, 2004 08:57 PM            
THETAXI:

are you in the us? Because www.newegg.com sells the 9800 Pro for ~$200.

It's alot better then the 9600.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

pablito
posted August 06, 2004 10:26 PM            
I have a NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 and it works just fine; I do have some problems about switching programs.. but as long as the game doesn't stop...

IP:

Irascible
posted August 07, 2004 02:34 AM            
Theta,
As suggested, the 9800 Pro is an excellent choice. Though you will still have to scale some things back with even that card. If you haven't seen them already, here are some reviews.
High end card comparo: http://www.techreport.com/etc/2004q3/doom3/index.x?pg=1
Middle range card comparo: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Features/doom-atibarton/index.html

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited August 07, 2004).]

IP:

A2597
posted August 07, 2004 11:34 AM            
Ras...on what games? hehehehe

only game I've ever scaled back on was playing Doom3 at high details 1024x768...

Tradmarks I can run at any resolution with 6x AA and 16x AF at over 100FPS, UT2k4 is 1280x960 4x TAA 4x AF max details...farcry =max details 1280x960 no aa/af...

soo...whast scaling back on a 9800 Pro?
(Can ya tell I like my eyecandy? )

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

THETAXI
posted August 07, 2004 01:20 PM            
Thanks for the website... I'm putting it to good use. When I bought my 9200 a year and a half back, 9800 pro was more expensive.

IP:

THETAXI
posted August 07, 2004 02:00 PM            
Here's a rookie question...

I remember hearing somewhere that the RAM on the video cards is in ADDITION to the ram you already have installed. Soo... if I get a Video card with 128MB of Ram, that's in ADDITION to the 1.256GB ram that I already have? How do I know if I need a video card with 256Ram or 128? (I have DDR PC2100). Lol, sorry about all the tech questions. Thank you to whoever replies.

IP:

Irascible
posted August 07, 2004 05:50 PM            
Exactly right A2597. Theta was talking about Doom3.

You got it right Theta. The video card memory is separate from system memory. On systems that have the video card built into the motherboard (like most laptops and a lot of cheap desktops), then the built in video card will borrow from system memory. But that is a piss poor solution that we're not even talking about.

If you want to max Doom3 out, you need 256 MB of video card memory. In fact, Doom3 is such a monster that at the highest settings it could benefit from a half gig of video memory. But such a beast is not commercially available yet. The video card's memory holds the information on all the purty pictures you're looking at. With all the eye candy in Doom3, that's a LOT of information. When the card runs out of memory, it will borrow from system memory over the AGP bus. However, that is obviously a much slower process than storing the information locally on the video card's memory.

Keep in mind that there is the issue of balance. You'll not get the full benefit of a $500 video card if your CPU can't feed it the geometry fast enough. So if you don't have the latest screamer CPU, then the 9800 Pro might be a good balanced choice.

The 9800 Pro is definitely a good value choice. However, it is a generation behind. Personally, if Doom3 was my thing I'd spend the extra $120 and get a GeForce 6800.

IP:

A2597
posted August 07, 2004 08:17 PM            
I figure the 9800 Pro will last me until the x800/6800 Ultra are at the 200$ range. Preferably, I want the generation AFTER that.

------------------

IP:

THETAXI
posted August 07, 2004 11:53 PM            
256MB GeForce 6800 starts at $419.00 (at newegg)...
http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submi t=Go&Range=1&DEPA=1&bop=and&description=GeForce+6800&Order=price

ouch.

I suppose the 256MB 9800 Pro will do for now. BTW... have you bought from this site before?? How reliable is it? (I'm just about to click the "process order" button...)

[This message has been edited by THETAXI (edited August 07, 2004).]

IP:

A2597
posted August 08, 2004 12:21 AM            
it's the best in the USA.

and I'm serious. Top rank in the USA. the safest, fastest, most secure....yada yada...

I don't shop online anywhere else...(Cept ebay, which is rare)
I've bought parts to make 3 PCs, plus all my upgrades, from newegg.
------------------

[This message has been edited by A2597 (edited August 08, 2004).]

IP:

THETAXI
posted August 08, 2004 12:39 AM            
Well... there goes my paintball gun... lol!

thank you Ras and A2597. Maybe I'll bump into you on the multiplayer over at DOOM someday. I play with the same name (THETAXI).

thanks again

IP:

pablito
posted August 08, 2004 04:57 PM            
Look for me taxi, I'm about to buy doom3 myself... but i'll be playing as: treadmarks' renegade ...LOL

IP:

THETAXI
posted August 08, 2004 05:38 PM            
If you do buy it, Buy it at COSTCO or SAMS club (if you have those stores around). I bought mine at Best Buy for $58.33, then I saw it the very next day at Sams for $47.88.

IP:

pablito
posted August 08, 2004 05:43 PM            
we'll do! >:] see ya later... about 8?? lol

IP:

VorDesigns
posted August 13, 2004 05:06 PM            
Uh, Taxi,

The RAM issue is somewhat humorous to people who remember when AGP was you and how it was going to obsolete needing to buy RAM on the video card; AGP is supposed to use system RAM to suppliment the RAM installed on the video card itself and thereby (hypothetically) provide you with vast quantities of RAM for memory intensive graphics.

The reality is that system RAM operated slower then the onboard RAM and so you got problems (jittery vidi, lost vidi, boom boom system).

While the AGP bus has improved, RAM became cheap and people want the RAM on the video card. Yes, if you exceed the RAM available on your AGP based video card, the video card will start to use RAM from the system based on what was alotted to it in the bios.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP: