NumPad 5: Reverse
NumPad 6: Move Right
NumPad 8: Forward

NumPad 7: Camera Tilt Down
NumPad 9: Camera Tilt Up
Numpad 1: Camera Look Left
Numpad 3: Camera Look Right

Numpad Enter: Scoreboard

and you still have your right-hand thumb for some other key! Chat perhaps? Your choice!

oh yeah... and camera following terrain... it helps on the slopes.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted June 17, 2004 07:37 AM            
Good call! Is that what you use?

IP:

THETAXI
posted June 17, 2004 08:43 AM            
yup! I have everything comfortably accessible without using weird or confusing hand movement, you can look around you for weapons or whatever without moving your turret, and even look down a hill to see if someone is waiting to kill you with something without having to stick your neck out! It helps for racing too b/c you dont have to take your eyes off of the road by moving the turret, you can just take a quick glimpse of the position of your enemy, and even drive backwards a whole lot easier while shooting at the people who are following you! (holding the back key "a" and then just using your NumPad 4,5,6,8 for driving). Give it a try. It'll stick to you within 2 or 3 days.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 17, 2004 10:58 AM            
Hmm

Very different then mine

Left: Left
Right: Right
Up: Forward
Down: Back

Space: Shoot
<: Turret Left
>: Turret Right

Capslock: Mouselook (always on in play)
Num 0: Camera Look Down
Num 1: Camera Look Up
Other num keys: Other look commands (rarely used)

Your hand on the direction controls can then control your camera angle with you little finger

The problem I have with your layout is that Num7 and Num9 are not intuitive for Up/Down becuase they are Left/Right positioned

IP:

KiLlEr
posted June 17, 2004 11:26 AM            
Mine is closer to what RC uses:

Cursor arrows for directional control

trackball for turret
mouse button 1 to fire
mouse button 2 to center turret
mouse button 3 to free look

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted June 17, 2004 02:54 PM            
I use a Game Pad.... so a keyboard does not aply to me...unless i chat....

IP:

THETAXI
posted June 17, 2004 04:57 PM            
Numpad 7 and 9 aren't in a physically "up/down" position, but with regular use you just memorize it. For people who use only keyboard, having all the keys necesary for gameplay (including all camera angles) within one key distance without EVER moving your hand position can be very helpfull. remember, camera angles help a whole lot. You can see enemies, their position, and what weapons they are carrying without exposing yourself or having to find out what weapon they were carrying the hard way (blowing up). For all of you people looking for a more efficient way of playing... try it! maybe it works for you.

IP:

posted June 18, 2004 12:40 AM            
see the link for my keyboard layout http://www.hallsted.org/race-ladders/race-ladder-game-control-options.html

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 18, 2004 01:34 PM            
dat's uber cool config, TAXI. Gonna try it out now. I have a lappy, but that doesn't keep me from hooking it to my TV and simply plugging a usb keyboard into it!

IP:

Teulk
posted June 18, 2004 06:55 PM            
sure you don't mean a sub keyboard??!!

IP:

little dude
posted June 23, 2004 11:54 AM         
i use both, for all games...
arrow keys for movement
left clicky to fire
right clivk to attach camra to turret or front of tank
middle mouse button to use free look, i never use it tho
and the rest of the buttons are around Q A Z W S X E D C R F V

i fina half of the contros are... useless...

IP:

Dudymas
posted June 26, 2004 02:17 AM            
sub keyboard????? what! I thought they didn't make subs longer than a foot at subway... at least, unless you wanted to shell out a lot of money.... *sniffle* oh well, guess I'll have to shell out a little more money... *plucks one of GA's legs* that should be enough to pay for it.

edit: Just to add... that new keyboard config is REALLY frustrating... but I must.... master.... it....... must....... master.... must..... must..... maaaaasssssttter the fung shway (spelled as the tongue flies) of *thud... roll roll*

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited June 26, 2004).]

IP:

THETAXI
posted June 26, 2004 11:53 PM            
lol. I don't use a sub-keyboard. Just adf and numpad. Lol, works for me! Maybe I'll win a DDM someday! I always seem to choke when it counts sighhhh

------------------
For FUN?! This is RANKED!! For GLORY!!!!!

IP:

yugo2
posted June 27, 2004 11:29 PM         

I use a joystick b/c I think it is more fun. 'snot quite as split-second fast but it makes it easier when playing to kick back in the desk chair and relax with a soda. This is recreation after all, right?

IP:

Irascible
posted June 28, 2004 12:51 AM            
quote:
you can look around you for weapons or whatever without moving your turret, and even look down a hill to see if someone is waiting to kill you with something without having to stick your neck out
That's precisely what I do. Though I do it using only the A,S,D & W keys and the mouse. On the other hand, you're keeping track of nine different key strokes! A degree in education takes less work than that.
(Education majors may flame away. Though it would be advisable to use your spelling and grammar checkers. LOL! )

IP: