|
Author Topic:   were, err wher, err wherre, err where
Dudymas
posted May 16, 2004 10:11 PM            
Ummm, yeah. Synack asked that I post about the full scholarship I got. So yeah. Ummm. I have one. For tose who heard about the Marines thing I mentioned... let's just say that the scholarship blew that out of the water (how apropros?). So ummm... moving along:

I am going to Pennsylvania State. I am one of 7 (or was it seventeen? The lady said seven, but there are seventeen going to the internship) who got the scholarship to go to the engineering school there. They require me to do an internship this summer and the following ones, I believe, but I was gonna do that anyways. I make a great intern. ;D

So, what they offer is that I go over there, and they will give me housing, teaching, guaranteed lab/science internships on campus, a personal counselor (more like someone I'll do the "nudge-nudge" routine to, only saying bad jokes instead about professors and the like), books, and some other stuff that I can't remember anything about. They only ask that I pay for my gas and food. Of course, knowing me and my 'doughy' habits, that might be pricey ever since the vanilla plantations that we draw vanilla extracts from got knocked out by some tornados. I love to use extra vanilla in cookie dough. Continuing

I guess I'm aiming at one of three areas:

-Biomedical engineering (I have always enjoyed neuroscience and love toying with ways to go about bionic implanting. I'd like to make it safer and cheaper. Yeah, just start laughing, but I guess impossible is a good place to start)

-Computer Engineering/Sci (I especially am torn between algorithm research and neural networks crud: "Mmmmmmm... BUBBLESORT!")

-Nuclear Engineering (Ah yea... I'd love to research fusion. Fission is 'like, so 1999'. I think anything with string theory or quantum mechanics sounds fun. This is coming from the guy who read Linus Pauling's General Chemistry book in 9th grade to avoid the bore of language arts, though. So I might replace this subject with chemical engineering. I just hate limiting myself to electrons, though that's a very broad stab at chemistry, mind you)

Oh crap. I feel serious all the sudden. Darn you, Synack. I could have been playing TM just now. Oh well. I already have my 64-bit laptop heading for my door. Beware. I will have many 1337 Tread Marks days still ahead. My internship this summer goes for 6 weeks. Joy. Really. I love working for scientists. If you've never had to watch scientists work with each other between several projects for their post-docs, you've never really seen true entertainment. I remember the fond days of bugging my lab group to have a pet leech since they had so many ganglions already. *sigh* And the times when I would write programs for them and they would all have the worst names ever and do tons of extra stuff and lots of easter eggs. How they only wanted a few scripts, how I needed to make the graphs a little less in depth. Sheesh... they had no respect for extra effort or eagerness. I forgive them, though. If anyone wants to see my old lab's site where I worked, it's here. Well, Synack... I hope you're happy. You summoned me to post, and here it is. *points finger accusingly* He did it!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited May 16, 2004).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 16, 2004 11:36 PM            
WOW, congratulations all around. That is such a great offer for you without owing your life to the US military afterwards. WAY TO GO.

IP:

posted May 17, 2004 12:47 AM            
Congrats...and who is the head that keeps popping in and out of the linked page...LOL

------------------
Ifrit CTF…every Tuesday, 8 PM Pacific…starting in April
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

synack
posted May 17, 2004 07:44 AM         
Thanks, Dudy! That's just what I was lookin' for.

Congrats on the scholarship and the internship. Sounds like you'll be having some fun!

IP:

Karldar
posted May 17, 2004 08:38 AM            
Word! Sounds like a great opportunity, Dudy! Gotta admit, I was a little worried about the whole USMC thing. Y'know, what with certain very serious things happening that I won't go into here. And...you can always try the military life later, if you want--not for everybody, tho. K, well that's OT enough, I guess. Cya 'round. "Take 'er easy, Dude."

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 17, 2004 09:44 AM            
Congrats

IP:

A2597
posted May 17, 2004 09:45 AM            
wow, blows my 75% scholarship out of the water...

GOOD JOB MAN!

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 17, 2004 08:38 PM            
hey hey hey! Stop it! It isn't all that..... ok, so it's nice. But I couldn't have done it without Tread Marks and other blow em ups. You all realize that I currently can only de-stress by playing games because I have no one who's brave (or fool?) enough to spend time with me. Thanks for the fun. But really... crap. I never had to do this humility crud before, yet I know I should post a reply.
Thanks for your kind words and all. I'm used to people not caring that much about my life.
*pinches nose and clicks on submit button*

IP:

synack
posted May 17, 2004 08:57 PM         
group hug.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 17, 2004 09:34 PM            
Congratulations Dudy - well done.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 17, 2004 09:50 PM            
Thanks.

Dude! Synack! Every time I try to group hug at school, I always get pummeled by hundreds of paper balls! Don't even dare try to trick me...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 17, 2004 11:19 PM            
Nice job Dudy

IP:

Paranor
posted May 18, 2004 09:21 AM            
<snicker> you said Bubblesort </snicker>

IP:

wolfman
posted May 18, 2004 03:11 PM            
Huge Congrats dude! Keep us all posted with the updates JT

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 18, 2004 07:36 PM            
Ah! Must keep thanking you guys for being so kind. As for updates, and probably going to have to start another topic for this, I got a laptop for school. In short it's a 64-bit that I plan on putting gentoo into. Mwahahahahah. I love theez AMD chips-ips-ips. Must make millions of 64-bit nix apps. Anyone else bought a laptop recently or tower PC for school? (or any other comp for that matter). I wonder if I should have bought a mac powerbook 64-bit instead.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted May 21, 2004 11:39 PM            
What kind of test scores, grades, extracurriculars, etc. did you have to qualify you for your scholarship? I'm looking at a related field. Possibly mechanical egineering, aerospace engineering or chemical engineering, but it's still totally up in the air as far as what type of engineering. Mechanical engineering is looking most probable for now.

IP:

coaxs
posted May 24, 2004 01:51 PM            
Congrats and have fun. I've recently finished my undergraduate and I'm doing graduate studies at Berkeley in Chemistry. It does feel good to have others pay for you to learn. Berkeley has some nice nuclear labs, if you ever come up this way for research.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

pablito
posted May 24, 2004 09:06 PM            
congrats Dudymas!
wow... coaxs! who pays for your graduate education!! :

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 27, 2004 10:48 AM            
Well, I am required to keep a 2.4 the first year. That's when they will throw like two or three counselors at me and make me learn. After that, 3.0 minimum. But it's for sure that they aren't trying to get rid of me to replace with a better student. The contract actually made a binding statement that the university cannot give anyone else the funds already alotted to me. In fact, I really am not just their second pick, because the document makes it clear that they cannot offer anyone else whichever slot they give me (there are only seven slots available for the engineering scholarship I got). The fact is, despite what requirements they put on me, if I've made it this far in high school I think that they are pretty much going to force me to get a 3.5 GPA minimum. The way it looks, they isolate me from a lot of influences of the campus until my first year is over and are allowed by the contract to tell my parents whatever they think is necessary (even stuff that I otherwise have a right to keep witheld from any party). That doesn't bug me, but the way it's all worded, once you sign, YOU WILL graduate, YOU WILL have no life, YOU WILL learn a ton. Of course, that's what I've always wanted, so it's perfect. Never heard of a scholarship like this one, though. I thought most were a priviledge type, not a militaristic "we will suffer through this together" sort of thing. Anyways, enough blabbing.

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 27, 2004 10:56 AM            
oh, crap... forgot to mention. Have my laptop now. Verrrrty nice thing, but the 64-bit runs at 3 GHz so the thing has vents all over it. I'm surprised at how hard it is to hear, but not at how hot the thing can get when you run pov-ray with some 64-bit *says with french accent* ahhhsissstunce. Sorry, just had to do some frenching. Woah, speaking of frenching, it's time for a word from my sponsors I think. I'll be off to the bathroom now. Dumb cat likes to use toilet, so it might take a while to throw the thing out. ;D

IP:

Karldar
posted May 28, 2004 08:37 AM            
quote:
originally spouted by Dudy
Woah, speaking of frenching, it's time for a word from my sponsors I think. I'll be off to the bathroom now. Dumb cat likes to use toilet, so it might take a while to throw the thing out.

#1. Dude, way too much information.

#2. I wish our cats used the toilet instead of the litter box.

#3. Word?

IP:

Dudymas
posted May 28, 2004 05:29 PM            
Awww, cmon. It wasn't THAT bad. ...... I think. Anyone know what is?

IP: