|
Author Topic:   Other LDA servers!
-DNX-Ni
posted April 30, 2004 05:14 PM            
for some reason, and I've complained before, when LDA run more than one server ie community, my ping for both shoots up! I now again have 450 ping for LDA and LDA Race!

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any possible solutions! I'm 100% positive that this is the case!

IP:

KONG
posted April 30, 2004 08:38 PM            
Same here. Since they started running multiple servers the ping has increased from a steady 100 to 120-250. Very laggy and unsteady.

------------------
"Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight, but did you know we really don't mind that? It's like camping." ;)

Homepage

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 01, 2004 01:29 AM            
I get 100-120. plays fine here.

IP:

coaxs
posted May 01, 2004 04:42 AM            
I'm on the campus ethernet and it seems fine. :P

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 01, 2004 06:00 AM            
Actually, just while I'm moaning, Killer I've never had a good ping with the boomstick servers either Hence I don't think I've been on them! When they're up of course!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 01, 2004 10:33 AM            
Of course you don't, Armageddon is a bandwidth eater.

It also doesn't help when I keep downloading Anime. LOL

IP:

Marmalizer
posted May 01, 2004 07:01 PM            
That's exactly what 'appens when the server is being used for more and more things, those who play from this side of the pond will get weird pings too ( like 2137 or 15725 ) making weapon fire from other tanks invisible and that irritating tank jerking round and round and forward and backward as you over steer when you think you're not quite lined up proper' like.
Not many USA players or those near the server location will notice the lag or high pings that we're used to, 'cept when there's quite a few tanks playing, and by then it's almost unplayable from over 'ere, some of the DDM's get like that.

Thats why if you look at your pic you'll see that all the good speeds on the servers are from Robo's servers ( I get 100 or less on cable, usually 85 ping in-game ) and when you play on his server they are really fast for us but not so for overseas players. I get almost the same pings as you get, and LDA has had the highest for nearly a year now, when it used to be nearly as fast as the server that was in France I think.

As more stuff is used on the server it gets even worse for playability and more people have started to notice it, the reject tank got some blame for it recently even though we've all got it in our stock tanks.
It'll be like that for ages now unless even more stuff is chucked on there, then perhaps it'll get more laggy for "Home" players, but until then, for the people who now apparently run the game, access the server, administer the games interest, have any control or say in how the game is played, the ones you really want to listen!, it'll run just fine.

As long as it runs fine for them, expect more addons and more access to the server, and expect to "talk to the hand" even more, cos'it's running just peachy for them.

It certainly won't change.

IP:

Marmalizer
posted May 01, 2004 07:01 PM            
Hey, Marm, I think way back in 1804 one of them had a really laggy night and they moaned and moaned and promptly left the game for the night, so you've got to have some sympathy for them!

IP:

Marmalizer
posted May 01, 2004 07:02 PM            
Yeah, right.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 01, 2004 09:21 PM            
Oh lord.

So what do you want me to do? Turn Armageddon and one shot into stock server? What would be the point of that?

FINE.....

I've had it with you guys. When my website's contract is up in June, I will not be renewing it.

All Boomstickjoes.com sites will be gone, includeing mod-o-polooze, no more logscan, no more lda community servers.

I'm sick of this b******t.

RC: You have until the end of May to make a backup of your site before it gets wiped out.

END OF DISCUSSION.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited May 01, 2004).]

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 01, 2004 10:17 PM            
I wasn't really complaining! Just wondering why I was getting high pings!

IP:

KONG
posted May 01, 2004 10:49 PM            
I was complaining. About the lda servers. I never use the boomstick servers/log scan stuff.

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 01, 2004 10:59 PM            
Well yeah I was complaining abou tthe LDA that's a given! DON'T GO KILLER!

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted May 02, 2004 01:58 AM            
Yeah, come on dude. No need to do anything rash now I for one remember having a lot of fun on your servers when I could manage a decent connection (ping problems were on my side) and now that the SATs are over, I was looking forward to spending some more time on them once I find my TM CD and tear myself away from the guitar under my arm. Who knows? With my new connection, I might even score a frag!

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 02, 2004 03:11 AM            
Aww, man!
Killer, the community is small, but it doesn't mean that your efforts aren't appreciated! Obviously, the decision is yours to make, but I , for one, appreciate what you do for us.

As for LDA servers-
Shall we find out if we should stop the second server when it is not used? Is that a possibility even? If log scan gets shut down, so does the server access, so it may be a moot point.
I haven't noticed any huge jump in pings myself. I do know that LDA is supporting several games off their server (two TM servers, Rival Ball, and not sure what else). Pings are affected by hops and being overseas from the server doesn't help ya much.
If we run a simple DDM with no mods are the pings better? Let's try a two team DDM on Sunday and we can see how that does for everyone. Stock everything. Sound good?

IP:

Marmalizer
posted May 02, 2004 07:10 AM            
Sure K, by all means, no need to be decent and try and help or to appease peoples worries and complaints about the increased lag, be as nasty as you can to us ungrateful, non apprieciative wretches, who've only had to put up with the worsening lag for a few months. Heaven forbid we should have the nerve to put it into words and mention it.

Apart from the Logscan, I didn't know who was connected with what, and it's easy to think that any particular post is aimed squarly at themselves, I don't pretend to know if anything is causing increased lag, let alone who, nobody ever wants to actually try and do anything about it!, nobody even thinks to take the complaints that come in as feedback. Go back over any topics that cover this and you'll find that a few people write that they were getting no horrible pings on a certain night and the players that do get ignored. Well if those same people played more than they posted things might be different, 'cos after 'bout three hours of playing that lag becomes really tiresome.

Postmen aside, why not welcome the complaints this time round, let people let of some steam this time round, it's what a forum is all about, a pattern may form and something may get solved, it's only so they can play a decent, reasonably lag free game, as why would they mention it?

I can't believe that this topic was posted to get at anyone, He's one the of the top players in the game, and always been a gent', and shouldn't be made to feel it was, it's just a comment on how and why the LDA server has increased lag.

[This message has been edited by Marmalizer (edited May 02, 2004).]

IP:

Marmalizer
posted May 02, 2004 07:13 AM            
But then again Marm, he's DNX

edit: Can't even spell me name right.

[This message has been edited by Marmalizer (edited May 02, 2004).]

IP:

Marmalizer
posted May 02, 2004 07:13 AM            
ooooops.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 02, 2004 09:22 AM            
"He's DNX" ... Whats that got to do with anything 'Smarm' ?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted May 02, 2004 01:45 PM            
I, too, am tired of people hinting that the server administrators have a hidden agenda. Heck, we post things to try to get back information on what people want to have run and all we get is complaints. EACH AND EVERY TIME WE HAVE RUN THE CONFIGURATION THAT WAS DESIRED BY THE COMMUNITY - EVEN IF IT WASN'T THE CONFIGURATION THAT ANY OF US WOULD HAVE CHOSEN OURSELVES. There is one agenda, and it was why LDA gave us permission to run this second server, and that was to have a server that could run mods. Yes, MODS. The LDA server, which they retain control over, runs 100% stock (or near stock with those hidden tanks) 24/7/365. For the people who want stock, that option is always there. There are a great many wonderful mods for Treadmarks, and we wanted a server to be able to show off some of this work. LDA listened and granted us this second server. Quit bitchin about it being modded. That was its purpose. We do run some events that aren't modded as well (like the ranked DDM and the two team DDMs, for which there will be one later today). Capiche? No hidden agenda- it's all out in the open!
Treadmarks has always been a bandwidth hog. There is no secret there. Many games can host 12 players without a noticable lag, but with treadmarks I can host 4 players before it gets laggy. ONLY 4! I'm not sure we can do anything about that issue, really. There is lots of information that is transmitted with each packet.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 02, 2004 03:24 PM            
Its no good Sue, your information falls on stupid peoples deaf ears. There are things that will never change with online games.

1) There will ALWAYS be lag with current technology
2) There isnt a game out there without lag
3) You may like stock, FINE, we like MODDED, so live with it - both are catered for.
4) try looking at your MTU and connection settings, netrate and video settings before lashing out the blame whip. 9 times out of 10 issues like this can be cured locally... like, increasing the size of the pagefile, adding more ram, getting better video drivers, lowering settings etc

If anyone is killing TM, its not the admins.... its the poor sorry bitches that do nothing but incessently whine. If you think you can do better - GO AHEAD, nobody is stopping you.... But quit attacking modders and admins for trying to deliver a menu and variety of games and events that quite frankly is more than any of you whiners can be arsed to try and setup & maintain on a regular basis.

If you can do better - Go for it, If Not.... SHUT THE F**K UP. Jesus....

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited May 02, 2004).]

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted May 02, 2004 07:43 PM            
May I BRING THIS THREAD BACK ON TOPIC?!?! Thanks! Please, my request hasn't been asnwered as such but Joey's offering to help me figure out why. Coax, Sailor or Supe, please could you close this thread! Thank you!

IP: