|
Author Topic:   Interest in possible new TMLogScan feature
KiLlEr
posted March 17, 2004 02:37 PM            
Sitting here thinking of stuff to do, I was wondering if the server ops would be interested in this.

On my website there is a webinterface to control most of LogScan's features (enable/disable servers, restarting servers, enabling/disabling voting, etc).

The way this currently works is that the commands sit around and wait for LogScan to contact the website. Instead, I can have the website contact LogScan to perform these functions immediatly. Along with this, I can give the ability to enter server op commands on the website and have LogScan 'type' it in the TM server's window. You can use this to restart maps, kick players, kick ai's, add ai's, and send notes to players currently on the server.

This would mean that I have to add a 'service' to LogScan to listen on a user defined port for commands from the website.

I will of course make this an optional feature that needs to be 'turned on' on the logscan side.

Any intrest?

IP:

posted March 17, 2004 10:46 PM            
sound good...but I will need to talk to you about it

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted March 18, 2004 01:50 AM            
yes. There is interest. For instance, the last Ranked DDM the config file specified 30 minute games not 20 min games (dunno why that happened). It would have been real easy to change the config file from the website, and restart the map without disturbing too much. I'm always afraid to change things on a active server though- any thoughts there, Killer?

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted March 18, 2004 06:10 AM            
I would like to be able to re-start a TM server.
quite oftern I find that my servers are runnng ok and no errors reported by logscan when I leave home for work,
but when I check web site the servers are reported as down even tho I know there
up.
So a remote re-start would be good.

[This message has been edited by Robo Jaws (edited March 18, 2004).]

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 18, 2004 09:49 AM            
Sue: If you modified the dedi.cfg from the website, setting the server to grab the cfg file would automatically restart it if it is running.

Robo: There are no error messages in the TMLogScan.log file?

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited March 18, 2004).]

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted March 18, 2004 06:41 PM            
what I ment to say is that the logscan interface LED/icon is green and not red.
indicating no error in the sending of the activity logs.
so everthing seams ok at my end but the server web page indicates the servers as offline.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 19, 2004 10:38 PM            
Looks like I have it working perfectly here.

I'll send out the 3.8.6 update tonight.

The feature is dubbed 'Web Command Listener' and it defaults to port 10000 and it is disabled initially.

There will be 2 new menu items, one to set the port, the otehr to enable/disable the service. the port number and enabled/disabled status is saved when changed so that the next time you run LogScan, it will remember the settings.

There will be a new panel in your MyBoomstick accounts to access this feature from the internet.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 19, 2004 10:40 PM            
666: You will need to have Jim set the port and enable the feature on the LDA community servers after the update goes out.

You can see the version number of logscan in the server admin panel, or the server status list.

Only the current active server will have the new version number.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited March 19, 2004).]

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted March 23, 2004 04:53 PM            
Killer for those of us behind firewalls can you give
the server IP number of webserver, so we can allow the port through
thx

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 23, 2004 05:00 PM            
When you start up logscan, it resolves boomstickjoes.com. It shows up in the log file (do a search on 'boomstickjoes.com' in your tmlogscan.log file).

Currently its: 216.193.194.13

It may change in the future.

IP:

Dudymas
posted March 25, 2004 10:16 PM            
You know, what'd be really tight is allowing the logscan to send server opp messages, so a player could type / commands and logscan could check ip addresses with server spy to make sure the person was who they were. It'd be fun to see if someone is on and what server they're at as well as misc stats. Best yet, imagine if you could post messages to log scan and people who come in for an event and don't see anyone could see if someone has posted a "I'll be back at X time" and stuff like that. Oooooh, but now I'm getting carried away. I'm sure by now we all accept I get too many ideas too fast that are too creative. I think entstrav us going in for an overhaul tonight till race ladder starts... err, wait... race ladder starts 12pm eastern, right? it says 8 pm Pacific. That's too late.. might log on at 11... CRAP, wait, gotta do ent stuff for wolf... dangit. I should use my PDA, but when i do i get overconfident and get worse when I step off using it. Oh well, this post is sufficiently ruined... next, my social life, and tomorrow...... the world. Ahahahahah! }8]

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 25, 2004 11:31 PM            
YOu can send server op messages using this new system. But I don't think using that plus ServerSpy is at all helpful. Very few people use ServerSpy. And using it to 'validate' users is treading into invasion of privacy. It's one thing to list the players on a server, which is a public meeting area, but allowing a player to dig up the ip of anotehr player is a nono in my book. Its one thing for the server op to have access to the player's ip for banning purposes, but its a whole other animal to allow another player easy access to that info.

IP: