|
Author Topic:   We're Back
LDA
Administrator
posted March 09, 2004 05:42 PM            
Just an update....

We're just recovering from a major hard drive failure...Maxtor 40GB...

We lost the forum, the high scores and the Rival Ball server... plus our mail and download key servers...

Jim

IP:

Dudymas
posted March 09, 2004 07:20 PM            
*blacklists maxtor*

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2004 07:59 AM            
right behind Fujitsu baby..

Sry to hear of the failure jim. I run Roxio GOBACK here as well as keeping regular backups. PS: if the drives juct clicking and you can find an identical drive with the same PCBA you can just swap the HD controller board out. Done that b4 and saved my ass

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 10, 2004 08:36 AM            
Eeeps. One more reason for RAID mirroring

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 10, 2004 11:44 AM            
The drive was still spinning and detected by the bios, just invisible and unreadable to Win2k....

We moved the broken drive into another box and picked up a nice little utility called R-Studio NTSF for $50... It read off the files into a disc image... and we transferred them back to a new drive with the OS and other software reinstalled ...

We're going to put a second drive into these servers and copy all of the data over twice daily.... It seems the simplest solution as the one server runs under win2k workstation with Apache. The other box is the main store/website server (win2k server), so I assume it would be easier to set up a more sophisticated backup system on it... Any suggestions or comments?

Our LDA inhouse development server is a win2k server box with one drive for the OS and a pair of data drives. All work is stored over the LAN on the primary data drive and 2x daily it simply copies its data to the backup data drive.

Jim

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2004 11:54 AM            
Have you ever considered hotswap drives ?

Btw - while we have ur attention - whatever happened to the 3d trees u posted about back in April 2001 on the main site ?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 10, 2004 12:01 PM            
You can probably just have dual drives with RAID 1 which is supported on most new motherboards that have SATA controllers. It isn't the best RAID setup - but if all you need it for is backup (rather then speed) it should work fine.

You can also always get an IDE controller for ATA drives that supports RAID (since you already have ATA drives I won't suggest SCSI RAID).

I am sure Killer or Matrix could give you much better help then me though on this subject.

It is good to know you managed to recover all of the data from the disk

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted March 10, 2004 12:30 PM            
On a tight budget the regular internal ide drives are nice and cheap and generally reliable.

The 3D trees are only enabled in an unstable test build of Tread Marks... I'd like to make them available, but a number of factors (mostly financial) will determine if that can happen.

Yes, the thought of manually reintering all of the download keys was not a pleasant thought, ....making data recovery a joy.

Jim

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 10, 2004 02:58 PM            
Yeah - I know the feeling. I should grab anothre drive just for data backup myself - but I can't afford it...however:

If you are getting a 2nd IDE drive anyway for data backup there is little reason not to get an IDE RAID (0, 1, 0+1) controller for arround $20-35 so it is automatically backed up every time you write the data thus reducing data vunderability.

--RC

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2004 06:12 PM            
Thx Jim, appreciate the update - we know LDA's not made of money so dont push for it, just "when youre ready" is fine with us

IP:

KiLlEr
posted March 10, 2004 08:09 PM            
If your interested in a cheap Raid 1 setup, you can get your hands on the Koutech PIR133 Raid controller. Its dirt cheap (16USD), but it is reliable. I've had one installed in one of my machines for nearly a year now with no problems. It isn't the fastest in RAID0 configurations, which is why its 16 bucks. It would do nicely for a RAID1 configuration. Just be sure to plug 2 of the *exact* same drives into the same channel. The card is based on an SIL680 chip.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=15-104-214&depa=0

IP:

VorDesigns
posted March 10, 2004 08:29 PM            
Hi Jim et al,

Mirroring is the safest (lost three drives in two years); nothing more irritating than rebooting the server when it happened and then putting in a new drive when I had time.
It is the main reason my production domain is still NT4.
Most people don't notice the difference in speed for most issues and you actually get a bonus on reads (two places to look).
For Cheap storage, go with something like Ximeta net disk which is about the size of a vhs tape and with two of them, you can have mirrored storage.
Promise seems to make the best add-in EIDE RAID controllers and SCSI to EIDE RAID data tanks; you can get a hot swap capable controller and two chassis pretty reasonably these days.
My hardware is a throw back to when Promis made the 'only' EIDE RAID controller.
As far as drives go, WD still seems to be the only company willing to put a three year warranty on their drives.
You may want to consider picking up a copy of ghost which will let you increase drive size on rebuilds and speeds recovery.
I've been disappointed with the SATA RAID solutions available on motherboards; most of them are stripe capable, but not really mirror capable. Ideally, you would want a system that could do both and run dual striped/mirroed single partition.
Well, good luck with whatever solution you end up going with in you own time.
Now, where's the Master Server? I want to play!!

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP: