This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Lag Caused by Modded Tanks
wolfman
posted March 07, 2004 07:44 AM            
Hey all!
I will be the first to admit that I love playing the halftrack mod tank. But with the comments on the effects on some's pc's - i.e. lag time etc., we need to get the rule set that for DDM's etc they should not be used. Pablo, I know you were telling me bud, but I thought it was because you were back on dl modem. End result still needs to be that these should only be used on a "named" Modded Tank Server. If it says stock, it needs to be only the "unmodded stock" that came on the cd etc. Like I said, this pains me lol, since I have a blast with that halftrack.

IP:

wolfman
posted March 07, 2004 07:45 AM            
Would love to know why the modded tanks cause lag for some and not for others? JT

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 07, 2004 08:26 AM            
I have played mod tanks a lot, they nave never caused me any lag. I dont have a massively powerful system either, 1 gig athlon, 1 gig ram, geforce 2Ti gfx card.

If you get ur network settings right and play with reasonable settings, you shouldnt get any lag either. The mod tanks are low LOD models too and will not cause any problems serverside, i suspect the problem lies elsewhere in your config.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 07, 2004 08:28 AM            
btw - i run 800x600 in 16bpl with 512 textures, dust at 25%, view at 500 and tris at 6000, my netrate is 3. I never get any worries on any maps with any tanks, modded or otherwise with these settings.

IP:

coaxs
posted March 07, 2004 03:54 PM            
Wolfman: This is a dead issue.

There was a vote allow them to be played on all servers. It was voted yes http://206.222.78.140/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003936.html

It was also voted whether to play them in DDMs and the like and the vote was yes. http://206.222.78.140/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003872.html

Topic is really closed on the subject unless we want to undo a democratic vote. I have not noticed any new lag.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

wolfman
posted March 07, 2004 07:13 PM            
Will reiterate again - I do not have any problems playing with these tanks - no lag issues etc. Was just bringing up the point that a few long time players have brought up. Definitely prefer playing with the half-track mod tank JT

IP:

coaxs
posted March 07, 2004 07:33 PM            
I was addressing this comment specifically.
quote:
we need to get the rule set that for DDM's etc they should not be used

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 07, 2004 07:41 PM            
In ranked DDM's they are not stock since it requires a mod even though it is on the client. So they should not be used. Stick that in a pipe and smoke it. When you have Jim agree to them being stock then you will have approval - until then no vote will make them stock in any fashion.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

KONG
posted March 07, 2004 07:49 PM            
I am pretty sure that the halftrack has twice the polygons of the other tanks when using a high level of detail. Since high poly models cause lag, yes this tank causes lag.

Why should I have to play at a low level of detail just so some people can use high poly models?

The lag that is induced is not net lag, but video lag...

IP:

coaxs
posted March 07, 2004 08:00 PM            
We can just vote again to have them on the ranked games again. Unless democracy isn't the flavor of the board?

P.S. I don't smoke.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited March 07, 2004).]

IP:

KONG
posted March 07, 2004 08:12 PM            
So what you are saying is screw everyone who doesnt have a really good video card?

IP:

KONG
posted March 07, 2004 08:18 PM            
forget democracy, what about a little consideration for other players?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 07, 2004 10:10 PM            
Let's not forget democracy. Let's extend it to the creators and maintainers of the game you want to take over. Have Jim determine if he is going to complete those tanks and make them available in the game. If they are not going to complete them then they should not be considered a part of the game as delivered since they are unfinished and are LDA's property. As he stated before there is quite a bit of work in the game folders which is not finished but might be a part of a later update or even TM2 if they can ever get around to it. Now there is democracy for you not taking others work and using it half finished and saying it is there so we can do with it what we want. The lead to democracy is to talk to the owners about using there work - not taking it like a MickeySoft and saying we modified it so it is ours. You want democracy then use it properly and don't change it to fit your interpretation of it.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

coaxs
posted March 07, 2004 10:56 PM            
Sailor: Just because you think it should be a certain way, it doesn't mean we all have to think like that(or do think like that). In fact we don't, we voted and decided to keep them in regular play and ranked play.

quote:
not taking it like a MickeySoft and saying we modified it so it is ours
I'm pretty sure, I never said the tanks were mine, or the servers were mine, or the decision to play them was mine. But, whatever.

I doubt LDA cares what tanks we use for DDMs or on the servers, as long as we don't modify LDA's install.

Feel free to ask them.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited March 07, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 07, 2004 11:01 PM            

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited March 08, 2004).]

IP:

KONG
posted March 07, 2004 11:13 PM            
umm, I was speaking to coax.

IP:

coaxs
posted March 07, 2004 11:21 PM            
Have we actually done a polycount? I'll try to figure out how to do that when I get home.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KONG
posted March 07, 2004 11:25 PM            
very simple, assemble the model as listed in the ent file using lithunwrap.

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 08, 2004 12:13 AM            
Coax - you started this whole thing so if anyone needs to ask them it is you. Feel free to start with where you should have in the first place and ask the owners - do not try and push it off on someone else. If you do not want to obtain their permission then say so - do not ask me to do what you should have done from the start......or does your version of a democracy only work when it includes your votes without first obtaining the owners permission. You should have asked them before you even posted or started using the tanks not after so go ask them now.

------------------
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

posted March 08, 2004 12:21 AM            
Just to interject a little common sense here.

I would have to agree to Coax that the point is moot. Not because it was voted on, but because many players are using the new tanks. Taxi, Max, Coax, Ras, Wolfman, and GBV just to name a few.

If they are not allowed, how are you going to stop it? Alter the stock files of all the LDA servers? You can not stop any players from using the tanks once they have the ent files. Deleting these tank files on the servers is altering the stock settings.

I am afraid, for better for or for worst, that once this is in motion, it cannot be stopped.

Now the benefits. Magically, it looks like TM 1.6 has added tanks. Very cool! For little or no work, it looks like TM 1.6 had an update. Mind you, folks are only using files that were not finished, but still it looks very cool that there are additional tanks to be had with no work on LDA’s side.

Therefore, relax, enjoy them and try them out. If there are so many players using them then there must be a benefit to them.

------------------
OH, Community Modded pack is out…is this going to be stock?
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

coaxs
posted March 08, 2004 01:39 AM            
quote:
do not ask me to do what you should have done from the start
I didn't tell you to e-mail them?

quote:
You should have asked them before you even posted or started using the tanks not after so go ask them now.
The tanks have been out for years. People have played them for a long time.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted March 08, 2004 03:38 AM            
Most certainly is benifits 666, they are faster, smaller so harder to hit, and more adgile.

[This message has been edited by Bonzo Dog (edited March 08, 2004).]

IP:

coaxs
posted March 08, 2004 03:41 AM            
Bonzo? They are slower!

Do you read your own threads? http://206.222.78.140/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003954.html

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited March 08, 2004).]

IP:

posted March 08, 2004 09:24 AM            
Well, I don't know about there being an advantage in using these tanks at first. It takes time to master the idiosyncrasies of a tank. For example, I have been playing the ifrit tank in single player in CTF and racing quite a bit instead of being online with the dwarf. I have loss the touch of how the dwarf slides through the gates because the ifrit has a different slide distance then the dwarf. Consequencely, harmless and Teulk took many of the 1st place finishes in racing of the stock tanks, where I use to take most of them.

It will take time for folks to master these new tanks. When Coax switched at first I did not see any improvement. What did catch my eye was that Ras switch over to the half-track. Now there is a man who will only change a tank if there is a definite improvement to be had. But still, it takes time to learn how these tanks behave in order to retain ones supremacy. The only player who I think has not loss any skill level is Max, and that is because he is out there using his new half-track all the time.

Because of the mass shift of many players using the new tanks it has got me thinking that I need to start looking into the new tanks also. And this is an encouraging thing for TM.

------------------
OH, Community Modded pack is out…is this going to be stock?
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted March 08, 2004 12:04 PM            
They cause lag so slow up the game, they still faster. WHY don`t you take your tanks and play them someplace else. Half of them do not even look like tanks. If i had seen lda with those micky mouse tanks when i bought the game i would not have given it a second glance. I have played the creator of this game and he asked me what i thought of it and i told him it was the best damn game i ever seen, until now.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2