This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

|
Author Topic:   VOTE: Whether to play the hidden tanks or not to play them.
Rex R
posted February 28, 2004 02:18 AM            
my vote is conditional; NO (not to use them on the Stock server(s)), 'install'(1) them on non stock servers as SSO mods then they will show up after one has joined the server(iirc thats about 5 ents)

(1) install the corrected ents (note tank8's ent should have 5 lines added and 2 edited)

IP:

coaxs
posted February 28, 2004 04:27 AM            
Its up to the server ops to update or not to update. Thats not what is at vote. So let us know what you vote.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted February 28, 2004 06:03 AM            
Could you repeat the question please : )

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 28, 2004 10:24 AM            
quote:
Voting Details: Poll will close in 5 days Wednesday 1pm. Please make your preference against or for the tanks clearly.

IP:

coaxs
posted February 28, 2004 02:09 PM            
Bonzo: you might want to try reading my posts.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Irascible
posted February 28, 2004 04:23 PM            
My apologies Matrix. The statement of mine you quote was not specific enough. Coax is asking nothing of relevance to anything.

His REAL question is should we as individual players PLAY the tanks. That's like taking a poll on what resolution to run. That would be fine. However, the way Coax worded it has made some of the respondents believe that this is a binding poll that will determine what goes on the comm server or some other server. It does no such nothing. As I said, this poll does nothing of consequence.

Coax: You could go a long way to clearing things up if you would just state in your opening lines that this is purely an advisory vote to server ops who may take the "advice" that results any way they like.

IP:

Irascible
posted February 28, 2004 05:04 PM            
Let me "hep" you out Coax. Please advise me if there is something factually wrong with my pictorial clarification of the unfolding event.

IP:

KONG
posted February 28, 2004 05:26 PM            
A Public Service Anouncement?

IP:

Marmalizer
posted February 28, 2004 08:10 PM            
I know the tanks are already there, and I know I only have to edit one of the game files to use it, but I always liked the fact that LDA was pure "Stock" as we all have known it for the last few years. All the other servers have plenty of mods and modded tanks on them for when I fancy a change, and while not strictly a "Mod" it does have that feel about it as it has not been used in the stock game as we're all used to. At least until LDA updates TM with an addon or patch I'd rather the LDA server was left alone ( even though it's not actually altered to play the tanks ), How else can I tell if I'm getting better or worse than everyone else?

I vote to throw the tanks out.

IP:

Marmalizer
posted February 28, 2004 08:11 PM            
Well he did say that a newbie could play an "out of the box" server, surely that means without visiting here and finding all this out? don't it Marm? and "without any changes", can't they be played on every single other server and leave the LDA server as sacred ground!.

Can I vote too?

IP:

coaxs
posted February 28, 2004 08:41 PM            
The vote is for all servers.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Marmalizer
posted February 28, 2004 08:46 PM            
Throw 'em out.

IP:

-Guided by Voices-
posted February 28, 2004 09:39 PM            
play play play

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 28, 2004 09:47 PM            
to get rid of em, is to mod them, yet ppl argue not to mod the stock server - you cant have it both ways.

Also consider that the majority have polled to keep the tanks in... and despite the above public service announcement by the Irascible Advisory commitee of 1 ..... the community majority has the final say, not the server admins .. they simply carry out the requests of said community. You have to ask what the majority want before you can carry that out, otherwise you risk Ras giving you the same treatment as 666 and said admin becoming a tinhorn dictator by NOT asking.

So - the question IS relevant to Something.... and it Does have a purpose, contrary to singular belief.

If coaxs didnt ask and simply made a decision... Ras would be on his back again - for coaxs its a lose lose situation.

Perhaps were better just closing ALL the mod servers, stoping Boomstick, getting rid of all the community admins for the forums and servers..... and simply run 4 stock only LDA servers - only then can the minority be happy theres no dictator making decisions for them that they would target to bitch out if they did ask. The bans can be lifted too, that means you get Guido back too - if alls fair in love and war, and the community's mass decisions dont count as indeed is suggested here, then there must be no enforcable bans.

Dont ya just love politics

For ppl who wont commit to compromise comes the destruction of what they claim to love.

Think about it.....

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited February 28, 2004).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted February 28, 2004 10:03 PM            
Thought about it and it is all garbage. You cannot put anything on the servers to get at these tanks except the client side mods so if you use them then they are there if you do not use them then they are there - the height of irrelevance. Who cares - I like the dwarf and all the other unfinished tanks are just that very unfinished - so again who cares - if you are going to do it then you will if not you won't and it will not make any difference. No politics no difference - oh sorry that is the height of politics isn't it. They all just keep stealing our money and give us little or nothing for it except hot air and higher bills. I got it replace all the .ent files for all the politicians - maybe some progress there. LOL

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Irascible
posted February 28, 2004 10:47 PM            
"to get rid of em, is to mod them"
He is NOT asking that they be removed. I have NEVER asked that their stock versions be removed. Who's asking that they be removed? No one is getting rid of them!

"the community majority has the final say, not the server admins"
He's asking for players opinions in order to sway the opinions of the various server ops. So it IS an advisory poll only. This is NOT a poll on the comm server and he never said it was. So the server admins of the non-comm servers DO have the final say.

"You have to ask what the majority want before you can carry that out, otherwise you risk Ras giving you the same treatment as 666 "
Quite correct. Take power into your own hands to push your personal agenda onto the rest and I will hassle you. But that's ancient history and you have only ill intent in bringing it up.

"So - the question IS relevant to Something"
It's relevant to giving server ops advice, nothing more.

"Perhaps were better just closing ALL the mod servers, stoping Boomstick, getting rid of all the community admins for the forums and servers..... and simply run 4 stock only LDA servers "
That is utter and complete nonsense. No one is suggesting that EXCEPT you. Why would you say such a thing unless you wanted it to happen?

GET OFF MY BACK. I did NOT attack Coax. I simply found humor in the poll question. I did NOT attack you. I did NOT attack use of the tanks. I supported them this time! I did NOT suggest REAL polls had no importance. And I haven't labeled 666 a dictator in a long time. What do you want from me? This is one of those occasions where you have decided that you WANT trouble and have imagined things that aren't there.

IP:

KONG
posted February 28, 2004 11:05 PM            
Here is the basic crux of things:

1. some people like the tanks
2. some people want the tanks
3. some people want the tanks on a server where people actually play in numbers greater than (3)

4. So instead of setting up a community mod server with the new tanks where people could connect and use the tanks without editing any files...

5. Tell everyone how to add the tanks to there install. And Voila, mods on the stock server.

IP:

Irascible
posted February 28, 2004 11:16 PM            
What's that you say Matrix? You STILL don't believe this is an advisory vote only? In which case my comments are totally correct and you have done nothing but stir trouble this thread. Then listen to Coax's own words from THIS thread:

"I know the vote can be interpreted as sensless , but it still needs to be done."
That would be tacit admission that this poll is binding to nothing.

"It will be up to the server operator to update his/her server accordingly if they want to."
That would support what I said about server ops making the decisions this time, NOT the peeps. And that also supports what I said about his NOT being about the comm server.

"The argument is irrelevant in that it is unregulatable, this has been made clear by me numerous times. But, cursing is also unregulatable but seems to be regulated."
See there Mate? He's looking for OPINIONS! Nothing more. It's a-d-v-i-s-o-r-y.

"The vote is as much to do with ettiquette as anything else. Whether it is deemed okay to use a tank or not."
Oops. Its seems that multiple times Coax indicated the purely intellectual and otherwise ineffectual nature of the poll.

"I would never make a vote that would take power away from the server operators. It is their choice on what files to run."
See? S-e-r-v-e-r O-p-s g-e-t t-o d-e-c-i-d-e, as I've said - NOT the players this time because the comm server is NOT at question. Does the evidence need to be any more overwhelming before you realize that you have been hallucinating... again?

OK. So I'm no diplomat. A good diplomat would have not been so pointed in his comments and would have left his debate opponenet an "out". I left you none. So you have to either admit to talking crazy or you have to reinforce your previous crazy with even more crazy. I wonder which it will be? LOL! Whatever. Knock yourself out. This time at least, I can say I bear no guilt if you erupt into flames. I did not attack you in the least this time. The worst I said is that you're talking crazy. Which... you are. :P

IP:

Irascible
posted February 28, 2004 11:24 PM            
Even IF that is how it went down Kong, it matters not. The cat is out of the bag. So making the accusation serves no purpose (other than to "inspire debate") because it can't be undone.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 28, 2004 11:29 PM            
1) Im not attacking you (or trying not to), if it appears as such i apologise, its unintentional.

2) If its all so friggin irrelevant and pointless and advisory - then why the smeg are we even posting in this thread and at what point will u be satisfied enough to let it drop and just let ppl play the game !!

Crap politics like this ruins games... for me anyway, i cnt speak for the rest. dont you think the TM community is small enough without driving ppl awy with this BS ?

As for your back - im not on it... i simply made an observation on past performance as u do with others so frequently. I voted as was asked and i had that vote challenged, fine, thats cool, but if you dont back off yourself and winge n moan when ppl put their side across, and u want everyone to sht up and do thigs your way than my observation stands.... whats the point in a 1 sided conversation ? Coax simply asked ppl to vote for or against the tanks - it was a simple request... who brought the debate in rather than YES or NO ?

So again, if you want to scilence me - fine - if you want the only voice here that eans anything - also fine - ultimately you will be left alone. Ya gotta learn to give a bit man.... copmpromise n all that, ya ike a brick wall nobody can get thru. Take a chill pill, eat a pack of dorito's, sit in the cooler for an hour ! Whatever...

Just cool things a bit will ya - and stop seeing conspiricies where there are none...

The tanks are on the cd, on the servers, if ppl know how to use em, good for them... thats all there really is to it !!

IP:

Irascible
posted February 28, 2004 11:50 PM            
You brought up the irrelevant history and now you're justifying it by saying I do it all the time. OK, and where would that be? You have an amazing capacity for self-deception and projection. Every single chance you get, you bring up history of how your valiant modding efforts were not embraced. It was you that brought up irrelevant history here. There's no question that you are the unchallenged master of bringing up history. If only it were accurate.

To whom ever may be relieved to hear it, that is my last answer to this .

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited February 29, 2004).]

IP:

coaxs
posted February 29, 2004 12:50 AM            
I think you 2 are way off topic in a voting thread. If the vote is a resounding no, I would remove the download from my site, and request others not to use their new tanks. Whatever was neccessary to enforce the community decision.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted February 29, 2004 10:49 AM            
Well, its to complicated for me so, if i may quote from Kong when on the subject of maps, DO WHAT YA LIKE. hehe.

IP:

Bonzo Dog
posted February 29, 2004 12:13 PM            
I vote no anyway. Its only recently i ever saw one of those tanks on lda and i think we should keep it as its always been.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted February 29, 2004 12:35 PM            
Bonzo, there-in lies the rub, it has always been like that. All TM installs have those hidden tanks. Just nobody used them until now.

IP:

This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3