|
Author Topic:   Clan Maps or Stock Maps
=DNX= Matrix
posted February 24, 2004 02:22 PM            
POLL is on the link, you do not need to be a member of DMF forums to vote.

Have your say

VOTE HERE

IP:

posted February 24, 2004 02:36 PM            
It does not have to be The Clan maps. Just maps that are designed to hold lots of players. So in a sense, clan type maps. There are dozen of the newer Kong and Sailor maps that would do just fine.

IP:

Irascible
posted February 24, 2004 08:40 PM            
And the point is? To offer a poll based suggestion to the clans? To dictate to the clans from what maps they may choose? Or to remove their choice all together?

The intent of the poll is sometimes as relevant as the poll itself.

IP:

KONG
posted February 24, 2004 09:15 PM            
the best maps to use to keep lag to a minimum are: Maps that do not have alot of terrain features (flatter maps) and have a minimum of spawnpoints.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 24, 2004 11:05 PM            
Limiting spawn points won't solve ALL the problems - that only adds another!

IP:

Paranor
posted February 24, 2004 11:36 PM            
[two cents from network analyst]

Cut the amount of work the map needs to process on newly created craters to everyone. If I shoot and miss then that's a crater packet(s) to 30 other people. At the same time, they have crater packet(s) to send.

Add to that where all 30 tanks are, where up to 30 weapons are ping stats, score stats, syn/ack packets, misc TCP/IP and internet packets.....cut down on the packets!

EDIT: oh yeah - chatting!

[/two cents from network analyst]

[This message has been edited by Paranor (edited February 24, 2004).]

IP:

KONG
posted February 24, 2004 11:38 PM            
see my post in the mod forum

IP:

Irascible
posted February 24, 2004 11:43 PM            
Incidentally, this is obviously an extension of 666's thinly veiled attempt to yet again sieze control. What the heck is the point? We came to an agreement to let clans choose the clan ddm maps. Ranked ddms are stock. The other two or three Sundays are clan map or themed according to mods. That was all cemented less than a month ago. And ALL of those ideas had popular support by those that attend those events. So again I ask, what's the point? Your compromise of letting clans choose isn't good enough now Sue?

This whole thing is purely selfish of those pushing it. It is a minority pushing their will yet again on what we ALL hashed out not even a month ago. The stench of it makes me ill.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 25, 2004 01:58 AM            
JUST WHAT AGENDA DO YOU THINK I AM PUSHING?
I totally abide by the decisions with the clan battle maps being picked by the clans themselves, and I also agree with the ranked DDM games...
I'm only asking about how to decrease the net information. Nothing wrong with that. Now what pisses ME off is people stating that I am not sticking to agreement. What pisses me off is people saying I am on a power trip. What pisses me off is someone accusing me of something I am IN NO WAY DOING.

IP:

Irascible
posted February 25, 2004 02:23 AM            
Uh, Sue, in case you haven't notice, I've focused my energy nearly completely on the dictator himself - hence I said this is an extension of 666's agenda (not yours). My only reason for the question to you was the obvious fact that the ONLY purpose for this poll is to yet again force clan maps down my throat. Given the fact that you had inspired the compromise yourself, I could not understand why you didn't object to this attempt to undo it.

But whatever. Please forgive the offense. None was intended towards you Sue. A bunch was intended towards... well... and I shouldn't have bothered. As I stated just now in the other thread, I'm going to let this go. All 666 has to do now is silence Kong and the TM world will have temporary peace once again.

And if you (you being whoever) would be so good enough: The next time I start to care about this stuff, please remind me that there are bigger things in life to worry about. I've been properly chastised by multiple persons today into remembering my true mission in life. I do have one you know, and this ain't it.

This is just a game, but of course we don't argue the game as much as we argue principle and even right and wrong. The problem is I'm arguing big principle in a picayune situation. At least it didn't get quite as bad as before. What I need to do is go apply big principle to big situations and let the inmates run this asylum.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 25, 2004 02:40 AM            
Ras, I focused on this
quote:
Your compromise of letting clans choose isn't good enough now Sue?
and then read Kongs tyraid.. ruffled my feathers a bit.
I think we do have a decent compromise thus far and I'm generally okay with it. Sure, spawn fragging sucks, but I sure as hell will do it to you as much as I can. I try not to spawn frag people like Kong and Robo and Harmless, as they don't do it either. Reap what you sow sort of thing...

IP:

Irascible
posted February 25, 2004 03:00 AM            
quote:
I sure as hell will do it to you as much as I can.
Now THAT'S what I like to hear. LOL!

IP:

Irascible
posted February 25, 2004 03:04 AM            
Incidentally, I will make a point to not spawn frag you Sue during ranked DDMs. I've already agreed to as much. However, clan wars are a different thing. When the lag goes up, so does the chaos. It's my opinion that when phantoms are fragging you, you have to frag back at all costs.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 25, 2004 05:06 AM            
Heres the solution are we ready

Ras, your mision, should you choose to accept it, is to extract and edit every tm maps grey displacement settings to make them flatter, you should also throw the spawnpoints further afield and not have them all bunched up, you can remove spawnpoints to do this. Where possible, half the size of the map to 512 instead of 1024 this will greatly reduce the strain on packet data and video lag. Edit all of the weapons that make unncessary mounds so they dont, remove scorching, make the chat font invisible (quite easy that one), less chat means more fragging. Dither the skies and make them usable in lower setting so they still look good but not blurred.

Re-Balance everything so that we can get more ppl on the servers or STFU !

This will be a neverending argument unless you and others accept tm's limitations and bugbears.

In short - Live with it instead of trying to justify using maximum setting on your end while complaining about lag Others experience lag because ppl have a high-k set just because they have broadband in the pur belief that it makes things better. This is pure BS - theres only so much BW to soak up from LDa and ur eating the bulk of the pipe the rest of the datafreeks starve... get 10 datafreeks at 10 and every1 else lags like a bitch trying to get their info thru and all u can do is moan that ppl are warping around - sit up and pay attention in class, re-read what killer has written re the 'k' settings

Then consider my mission as outlined above - naturally should u bitch and moan ill disavow any knowledge of this post

This message will self destruct when the ent tells it it can

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited February 25, 2004).]

IP:

Irascible
posted February 25, 2004 05:46 AM            
A little recent history.

1) I suggested two tweaks. I did NOT go on and on about the lag. I simply suggested two tweaks.

2) YOU and others supported one of them. And I got some less convincing support on the other.

3) Then 666 COMPLETELY ignored my suggestions in his first reply to the matter and instead declared that clan maps would solve lag!

4) Along the way, you mentioned that client settings are at issue. Then you mentioned it again. Then you mentioned it again. It's obviously important to you. I'm happy for you. But I never voiced strong opinion one way or another on that matter because you'll never get the masses to listen. So STFU about it. I never disagreed with you!

AND, I NEVER debated netrate. I suggested it might be low. I asked killer what was good. He said 3k was prolly OK, depending of course. And I was done with it. I accepted his word. I don't need to read the friggin thread for a third time, but thanks for the suggestion.

5) The rest of the time the main focus of MY debate with 666 was MAPS. NOT about client settings, NOT tweaks, MAPS! You added fuel to the fire with this largely useless and definitely pot stirring poll about... you guessed it... maps!

Yes, a million other things were said and other tangents came up. But MY focus has been on preventing 666's little map coup. Take the totality of MY debate with him in consideration and you'll easily see: it's been maps! THIS thread is maps! MAPS! MAPS! MAPS! And in case you haven't noticed, I've declared a cessation to my involvement with this debate about maps! I only now have to deal with your absurd and ill timed advice and apparent lack of knowledge as to the actual status of my debate. If you still haven't heard: It's over!

ARGH! LOL! PFFT! And of course, meh.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited February 25, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 25, 2004 01:00 PM            
Ill conceived ... well - stuff ya then basicly, if you cant take good advice u deserve all the lag you get on any map for any reason.

Ill take my pot stirring poll and shove it up ur (fill in the blank) .. i honestly thought a community vote on which set of maps ppl preferred would give a better perspective on things than having to put up with your incessent whining - oh well, guess i was wrong.

Plz, continue your petty bickering, i wont interceed with my ill concieved advice again.

Meh Pfft Duh and SLAP !

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 25, 2004 01:01 PM            
Since i started this thread - i should be the one to request its locking. I think anything useful that could have been gained from this thread, has been - i see no further use for it.

Admins if you please - Thank you so much.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited February 25, 2004).]

IP: