This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   B-Day Bash Feb8th
harmless
posted February 02, 2004 04:56 PM            
well, it was suggested that we hold the 3rd annual birthday bash this sunday feb 8th, 2004, and no one seemed to object.

is this still a go then? i'm looking forward to it. last year was quite fun and it was nice seeing sooooo many people out playing.

so, it's all stock, right? and on Par's server? normal time? 5pm PST, 8pm EST, 1am GMT....

toodles,
harmless

IP:

posted February 02, 2004 05:33 PM            
Thanks for reminding us all about this. I would love to use Par's server, that is if it gets up.

Otherwise it will be on the LDA community Clan server using the Ras nine clan maps.

The last B-Day bash used the clan maps. I do not see any problem with using this time. They are here: http://www.hallsted.org/org-downloads/all-in-one-tm-clan-maps.zip

IP:

wolfman
posted February 02, 2004 08:53 PM            
If need be I can do a back up server also. JT

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 02, 2004 09:35 PM            
Dave, Sue, is the community Dom server ready for after the bash ?

IP:

harmless
posted February 02, 2004 11:29 PM            
i had forgot we used the clan maps last year.
they worked well. with so many people, it was nice to be able to land on a spawn point unmolested.

the download is around 10MB, if you don't have them already.

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

posted February 03, 2004 09:24 AM            
Everyone out there get email or ICQ this thread to every TM'er that you know.

Matrix, the Domination addons are already in the fun DDM server. Just need to switch out the addons folders.

List time, what needs to be on the B-Day server. We are using the clan server so no chaos. What else needs to be added?

Picture time: I was think that the Black Mesa Map would make the best place for picture. NO tree and a nice slope to get everyone on there. I will add the black mesa map so it will show up every third map.

Any other hints?

Thx for the offer Wolfman. If I remember last time there was almost 30 players there. Can your server handle that many?

I will remind LDA to be present.

------------------
Queen, may I always be your King…signed Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

Rex R
posted February 03, 2004 11:17 AM            
standard setup for ddm (flags, clan maps, no wonky gun, reduced mines if you please) and a big honking notice in the server desc about downloads(not that anyone reads that )

IP:

posted February 03, 2004 05:55 PM            
Thx Rex. Just got an email response from Par. He will try to get his server up for us.

------------------
Queen, may I always be your King…signed Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

harmless
posted February 05, 2004 05:19 PM            

see you there... and get the clan maps if you don't have them already.

link is above in 2nd post.

IP:

coaxs
posted February 05, 2004 06:20 PM            
It was overwelmingly discussed not to have the clan maps at the birthday bash in this thread: http://206.222.78.140/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003832.html

Worse memory ever.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Paranor
posted February 05, 2004 07:54 PM            
Serve is up. 666 was kind enough to spam, I mean remind me everywhere.

(j/k - I needed a reminder)

IP:

posted February 05, 2004 10:21 PM            
Well there is a slim chance that Par server or the Community servers will be up since Boomstick is down. So folks who want stock will get stock because that is all that will be available at the LDA server.

Enjoy.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 06, 2004 02:03 AM            
OVERWHELMINGLY?? I don't see anything overwhelming in there except the bickering.

IP:

coaxs
posted February 06, 2004 02:07 AM            
You can count the anount of people for it and count those against it and see which has the most.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 06, 2004 02:39 AM            
I'm not trying to be daft, but I am confused. In one thread I believe there was an agreement to do stock maps for ranked DDMs. I have no qualms about that.
As for the birthday bash, I've read very mixed things. In the thread Coax linked to I see:
Coax definitely for stock maps, Ras, Par, and possibly BZP for stock, though most are saying what was posted before their post makes sense and not really giving a strait opinion.
I see me (final post), harmless, 666, and RexR for Clan maps (Rex's is in a different thread, but he does suggest a "small download").
I see no real opinion given by Wolfman, Matrix, TBIKingTiger23, and Governed by Voices.
What I see, if I try to count votes is a 4-4-4 "decision".
I don't want this to be a big battle about what to have on the server. I do want to have it be a fun event. I do want as many people to play as possible. I do want to put up the server, but I really am not sure what set up to do. I do know there is no way to make 100% of the people happy, so some people will be garanteed to be pissed.
At this point, Boomstick Joe's website is down, so we have lost the ability, temporarily, to change over servers. 666 is setting up the clan battle set up on Par's server for the birthday bash, in anticipation of >20 participants. The domination set up is on the LDA FUN DDM set up, to follow the Birthday Bash for those who want to attend.
The config file can still be changed via ftp, but I don't have Par's ftp info (I have the member name and password but not the IP - hint hint Par) so if it needs to be changed, let 666 know, as atm only he has the info.

IP:

coaxs
posted February 06, 2004 03:13 AM            
I guess just go with whatever then.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Irascible
posted February 06, 2004 05:11 AM            
Soley on the topic of map selection, it was hard to see the consensus for all the tangents that got in the way. But there was a clear majority vote for stock if you read Coax's linked thread VERY carefully. Matrix was good enough to eventually support the case I made for stock solely as it relates to the BDay DDM. Tron was axed as a bad idea for this specific event. So when it comes to maps, this was the breakdown from the other thread:

Stock: Rex, Coax, Par, Matrix, Ras
Implied stock: Bam, Harm

Clan: Sue, 666

Harm switched in this thread. Coax has gone neutral. So now, between the two threads we have:

Stock: Rex, Par, Matrix, Ras
Implied stock: Bam

Clan: 666, Sue, Harm

You know I'm a near pedantic stickler for accuracy Sue. Based on the last known statements on the matter in this and the other BDay thread, my above tally is accurate. The tally may change. Not eveyone will get what they want, But so what? This is a yearly event for fun and remembrance. Ultimately I only ask that the server admins bend to the stated will of those attending and not impose their own.

If I may give some validation towards all of us: We're simply making the case for what we'd like. There's nothing wrong with that. I doubt anyone here is going to be so without class that they'd start flames over the the BDay event. This seemingly relentless discussion gets old, sure. But if you're really tired of it Sue, then just join the stock crowd to give us a decisive edge and you'll have peace. Though I'm sure you'd rather look out your window to see swine flight before you’d ever do that. lol

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited February 06, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 06, 2004 06:58 AM            
Im sure seumas would be pretty horrified by all this bickering if he were around to view it...

Sorry, my 2p - its just on my mind atm.

We have more choice in tm than we have ever had before... perhaps modding this game is a bad thing, then we would only have stock, no bickering and everyone would be equal.

IP:

KONG
posted February 06, 2004 09:05 AM            
Stock, Please.

------------------
"My style? You could call it the art of fighting without fighting.''

Homepage

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 06, 2004 09:45 AM            
Think of it this way...

With it being stock, anyone who's not currently "in the game" won't have to worry about a download just to play on the bday event.

This would include all of the new players to the game. What could be more fun than to see a server loaded beyond the gills full of players? Okay...the lag might make it "too much fun" fer some but it's all in fun to remember the man who made this game available to all of us who enjoy this game...

IP:

Irascible
posted February 06, 2004 12:12 PM            
I said it when Guido did it. I'll say it again. It's pretty tasteless to presume to speak for the deceased in order to support one's own opinion.

The very definition of bickering necessitates the inclusion of an ill temper. It also implies that at least two people are agitated. Are there two ill-tempered people exchanging words in these two BDay threads Matey? All I saw was some semi-bitter complaining in the other thread, but... Oh wait, that was you. Nevermind. Oh yeah, and Coax invoked a famous Simpsons catch phrase which Sue took to heart. Yeah. That was oh so horribly ill-tempered of him. What was I thinking? :^P

The tally is 6 to 3 for stock.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited February 06, 2004).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 06, 2004 12:24 PM            
Stock it is then. Since we ARE talking about playing the version that was originally created, lets keep it stock everything. And, as far as I see, I see NO agreement on the map selection, publically at least. Which stock TM maps are we talking about?

IP:

Irascible
posted February 06, 2004 12:29 PM            
I would suggest that 666 utilize his knowledge to tell us which non-ice, non-neon, non-moon, non-very hilly maps have the most spawn points.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 06, 2004 12:31 PM            
Two last things:
1) Matrix messaged me last night. He didn't think he could make the event on Sunday, so he asked that the Domination event be cancelled
2) Since the biggest complaint against the stock maps is spawn fragging, lets make a concerted effort NOT to spawn frag on Sunday. It may be part of what is accepted for a ranked DDM, where anything goes, but this is a Birthday Celebration for someone who is sorely missed by many people.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 06, 2004 02:03 PM            
Yeah all this bickinging I can do without - its akin to arguing at some1's funeral - very tasteless, uncouth and uncalled for imho. Theres a time and a place for everything, this isnt it. And with the majority set against mods theres no point running a dom event at this time.

The birthday bash should be played as seumas intended it to be played. By stock means. Like it or lump it, i think thats the best way to remember him, by playing the pure, balanced game, he created, for us.

As i explained to sue, i could make the event, but im not going to show. If the arguments here are anything to go by, chat in the games could get nasty, i think ill just rename my addons dir, and play SP against 15 AI's or so. For us to do all this debating so close to the event, it shows we cant make our mind up or come to some kind compromise; which means chat in the games has the optential for "i told you so" and "it would have been better with mods" etc etc - on a packed server ppl are bound to respond - and spawn fragin WILL happen, so no point bitchin about it.

Ill pay my respects in my own way thanks - enjoy the ensuing mosh-pit.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited February 06, 2004).]

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2