|
Author Topic:   to use, or not to use(hidden tanks)
Rex R
posted January 31, 2004 04:16 AM            
that is the question
off hand I am inclined to say yes, BUT, lets have the powers that be take a good look at the tanks in question and check them over for bolton coords, mass(might need a group consensus on liquids) armor, speed& accell. then put them on the server that way everyone will have access to the same tanks. I will note that the platapus is rather low to the ground

IP:

coaxs
posted January 31, 2004 06:20 AM            
I vote yes, this just adds more tanks to the selection available. Also, no one uses liquid tanks anyways. If we were to take a vote on the zodiac or platapus, how many would actullay want those tanks in.

Armor is applied globally by the server unless overwritten in the tanks.ent file. So that all hidden stock tanks would have the same armor as all tanks on the server or lower. The speed and acceleration is also in-line with all the other tanks. All tanks really are the same except different meshes(except for mite). All one really does is choose the mesh they want and sticks with it.

Also, for everone complaining the tank is too low. If you stand in front of it with a plasma ball you'll hit it, it just looks low and is not really that low. The zodiac and platapus are much lower.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited January 31, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 31, 2004 10:59 AM            
Having played with these tanks im also inclined to say yes. Variety cant hurt. They still need better skins though lol.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted January 31, 2004 08:33 PM            
Hmm, platypus has been available for a while now. It is my preferred tank in the CTF matches, so is that one even a "hidden tank"? I have no problem with the "hidden tanks being available for those who want to use them. So yeah put them in there, just if there is anykind of download needed for them, please let me know.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

coaxs
posted January 31, 2004 08:38 PM            
We don't have to put anything anywhere. They are already there.

Download is at my site, under coaxs hosted downloads. This is in order for you to be able to play with them too.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Irascible
posted February 01, 2004 02:17 AM            
I say no 'cause Coax is a big fat jerk! LOL!

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 01, 2004 03:20 AM            
Let's clarify, for those who still don't quite understand:
The platypus IS a stock tank. It is just one of the lower ones, thus it was mentioned
The "hidden tanks" are in the TM install off the shelf. They are just missing the proper .ent files to have them work well. One DOES need to download the correct .ent files to have the hidden tanks work.
One can not SEE the hidden tanks before one joins the server. One must first JOIN the server that supports the hidden tanks and THEN can go to the tank chooser menu and THEN select the "hidden tanks". This is where the concern is. YES, a download IS necessary to be able to use them, NO they are not part of the initial tank chooser menu, ARE the part of stock TM or are they modded.
IMHO, they don't offer any advantage that I can see. The one coaxs uses throws one initially (as its nice to hit the back of a tank whenever possible for the less armor effect), but once one realizes that the flag is on the back - no problem knowing which side is the back vs front.
My vote: sure, use them for fun events. Not sold on using them for ranked events yet.

IP:

Irascible
posted February 01, 2004 03:47 PM            
(Please note that my completely nonsensical answer is actually an indirect indication that I know this is a done deal and have therefore acquiesced. :^))

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted February 01, 2004 08:50 PM            
With the mod pack coming up we will add some new tanks, weapons and maps. That being said if you want to use them in single player download the .ent files. If you want to play with them and make new skins go for it. If you want to call them stock then they better show up when you initially load the game and start it up without modifications. IMHO they are therefore not stock or LDA would have completed them and they would then be stock. Like it or not they are at this point in time NOT STOCK.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP: