|
Author Topic:   I have an ida for another application :D
KiLlEr
posted January 13, 2004 03:05 PM            
Hopefully, I'll be hosting RC's site. This gave me an idea.

I could design and build an application which would interact with RC's site (via a webservice) basically.

It would maitain a download directory which would keep all the dl'd mods (in zip form) and allow you to install/remove any of those mods and allow you to make 'configurations' which you can save and load.

If you select a mod that you donot have (a list of availible mods will be obtained from the webservice), it will dl them for you from RC's website. Maybe I can even add a resume dl option.

Since some mods have files that use the same file names, the app can mark those mods so you won't be able to install both of them simultaniously.

It would be alot of work, but since RC and I would need to rewrite his website anyway(asp -> php), we can rebuild it with this in mind.

Input greatly appreciated.

IP:

coaxs
posted January 13, 2004 05:13 PM            
It might be a bit overkill. I think a central repository would be fine.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 13, 2004 06:59 PM            
Humor me, I'm bored LOL

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 13, 2004).]

IP:

coaxs
posted January 13, 2004 07:36 PM            
Go for it if you want to, but I'm a believer in KISS.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

A2597
posted January 13, 2004 07:54 PM            
just make it for non SSO mods...
that way admins can put ANY weapon on a server, if user dosn't have it, it downloads from there...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 13, 2004 11:13 PM            
We'll prolly set up a flag on RC's database record to indicate which files can and cannot be dl'd this way. Makes it a bit simple

I'm a firm believer in KISS, but I'm also lazy as hell, so anything I can make convienant, I do.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 14, 2004 03:18 AM            
Sounds intriguing...
Reason why I am interested is the last Ranked DDM... there were several new players that didn't have the maps and they kept asking for help. It being a ranked DDM, not may were tempted to answer the players' questions. But there I am feeling sorry for the guys and let them know where to get the downloads, so I put my tank in forward and go driving off the map so I can chat and give directions...
Now, I am not claiming to be a great TM player, but consider taking a few min out of your game to do this... surely I can't get a frag while I am chatting (nor off the map am I fodder ) Ok, ok, so I'm making excuses on why I don't have a top score (I'm too nice ), but this webservice would help with that situation. Killer, you just have to be sure you want to write this for the handful of TM players we have out there...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 14, 2004 10:02 AM            
I don't mind. It gives me something to do, and gives me something to work in C# on so I wont forget things.

But I doubt it would help the n00bs since they would need to dl the manager anyway (which means they need to somehow know it exists), and need to know what mods they need. I could tie this in with LogScan so that server admins can select which mods are installed on the servers from the master list. Then I can add an additional launcher to the manager but will only work for logscan listed servers.

The big problem with n00bs is that they don't bother to read the server description in TM.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted January 14, 2004 02:59 PM            
Sounds interesting to me, and I would definitely go for the resume dld idea.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP: