This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   3rd annual b-day bash
Rex R
posted January 12, 2004 01:34 PM            
yes folks its that time of year, time to consider the birthday bash ddm. I suggest Feb 8 for the day. can we have a server? suggestions for maps and or mods(I suggest out of box stock) to let all who wish join the fun)

IP:

Paranor
posted January 12, 2004 01:38 PM            
I can do the server if LDA can't or won't or don't care.

So that means I'm available to be used.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 12, 2004 01:39 PM            
Oh yeah - I want the Tron tank available!

IP:

Rex R
posted January 12, 2004 01:47 PM            
So that means I'm available to be used.

heheh must remember to get sue to bring the whips and chains

IP:

-Guided by Voices-
posted January 12, 2004 03:31 PM            
how about some of my remakes ...

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted January 12, 2004 09:24 PM            
iv got a tank i want to see in there... its a new one... but i have to finish the texture and a touch of ent work so it will look nice.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 12, 2004 10:43 PM            
If were having the tron tank, can we use the tron map i made.. its a year old already and to my knowing has never been used !!

IP:

Rex R
posted January 13, 2004 01:29 AM            
the main idea is to keep things as easy as possible for would be players. it seems likely that the flag pak would work(seem to recall that we used it last year) and/or a small download.
matrix; how big is the file zipped?

IP:

coaxs
posted January 13, 2004 02:24 AM            
Just keep it stock, and add the flag pack. Last thing we need is people synching without the mods and lagging all of us.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 13, 2004 04:49 AM            
TM_Tron map is 745 kb
Tron Tank is 486 kb
I have a copy of most mods sitting here on my HD.
The master flag pack is: 1.58 mb
The Clan Team flag pack is: 107 kb

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 13, 2004 09:29 AM            
I say stick all the unused stock (SSO) tanks that have normal ammo in there so there's no need to download...

BullPup, Butch, ARLO, BullDog, Target, Halftrack, Liquid Eagle, Liquid 8Ball, Windsor, Elf, Rocker, and Jim M1.

But leave out Juggarnaut, Ifrit, Conan (not stock ammo/armor)...no offence guys/gals.

I can put together a pack if one would like...

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 13, 2004 12:23 PM            
For the Birthday Bash, I agree with coaxs, as much stock as possible. BZP's suggestion of SS O tanks is a good one. No downloads necessary for the newest TM Community members.

IP:

Paranor
posted January 13, 2004 01:45 PM            
Yeah, I guess you are right. stock would be good.

How about we do the Tron tank/map for a DDM some time? Along with one new tank each from Guided by Voices and TBIKingTiger23.

And of course the Tron map.

IP:

harmless
posted January 13, 2004 10:45 PM            
sue,
if you look inside of that master flag pack that you have, the one that is 1.58MB, i'll
bet you that there is a file in it called
thumbs.db, which can be safely deleted, and
which would reduce the size to under 1MB.
the thumbs.db file is added by windows explorer in XP, and is not needed in the AddOns folder.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 14, 2004 03:06 AM            
Par - good compromise. Now we just have to get the ftp to your server working for us. I'll be on ICQ wednesday evening, too, while David is busy ctf'ing. See, I'm a girl and I can multitask ;D

IP:

posted January 14, 2004 09:21 AM            
I am sorry, but the tron map is out. The walls of any hole are unclimbable...yes...unclimbable. I remember testing this map and all the AI's ended up in individual holes. Also this map has a cruise weapon point which would end up dominating this map.

People, do you remember how many people were here last time? It was in the high 20's. I recommend the clan maps agian. They are tested for large groups. If not those then some of Sailor's newer maps which have the necessary number of weapon points to aviod massive spawn fragging. I would not use the stock maps.

All comments are welcomed

------------------
Ntus, the server ain't up...signed Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 14, 2004 10:18 AM            
The tron map has changed gravity, friction and crud settings - this is to allow the tron tank to move as it does in the film.

Also, there is a version without the cruise checkpoint.... and with normal graviti settings ... not that anyone ever asks, but there ya go. It wasnt designed for normal tanks, and the read me file that comes with the map tells u why.

Normal tanks on a tron field look crap - plain and simple, the whole point is to force the use of just tron tanks, this makes the whole experience "authentic". More than doable for a DDM, but the physics on this map are not for the feint hearted and WILL cause frustration if you havent seen the movies.... its like driving with the brake on a little. BUT once u get into it, and realise every1 else is equally laden, you DO enjoy it more and its more of a chalenge.

The reason its never been used i think is that ppl simply cant cope with anything other than stock type settings; this is the reason we never see Storm Racer games much and the main reason i stopped work on the bz mod.

When nobody ever uses ya stuff, or theres a general lack of feedback ... which seems to happen a lot in the TM community, you get disheartened to the point where u get into thinking "whats the point".

The first tourney held, ppl were just wandering in not even knowing it was on... the 2nd one got cancelled, mainly due to lack of interest, the 3rd one never happened and the 4th one got canned too.

And now - thats why u never see me on servers, i either play my own mods against ai's locally or im in multiplayer Wolfenstein.

Im still well into TM as a game, but i post more than anything else now - i guess im waiting for some kind of renaisance, a resurgence in interest, more ppl to play instead of almost constantly empty servers.

Every time i turn my hand t the mods.. i ask myself... would anyone play this ? and im forced to anser "probably not".. this leads to "why bother" which in turn leads to Wolfenstein again lol...

Such a tangled web lol...

IP:

coaxs
posted January 14, 2004 02:49 PM            
I still think stock would be best for this event.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

posted January 14, 2004 03:35 PM            
Matrix...I like the tron map...it not for the B-day bash. There's an ideal for a fun ddm. That's what we will do this Sunday. Hope this makes up for my rudeness. So, we will need to have a pack ready for downloading for the Tron event this next Sunday.

Coax, it should not be stock maps. The stock maps are not designed for a large crowd and spawn fragging will be rampant. The clan maps or Sailor's newer maps are designed for a large crowd. The last B-Day bash had the clan maps with the low rutting weapon mods. I would just go with the clan maps because most everyone has them already. Use the Ras 9 of the clan maps. But I repeat, you will need maps that have 2-3 weapon points per player to stop spawn fragging. The stock maps do not come close to that ratio for 20 or more players.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited January 14, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 14, 2004 04:31 PM            
lol .. tron event .. dont be daft... just cos i moan a little, i didnt take u as rude at all, dont even think that m8; coax is RIGHT, stock is best for maximum fun, the tron map was a mistake in the making, and incidently, the first domination map.

Since ppl dont like how harsh domination maps are, id advise ppl stay well away from the tron map. I condemned 2 of em to the bin for unplayable design.. u cant do proper slopes and angles in a voxel engine with less than 40k tris, 10k is nowhere nr enough.

When TM gets enough of a player base - maybe, just maybe itll become a viable idea, proper size teams and actual goals on maps rather than mindless deathmatching all the time. As things are, we dont have enough ppl to fill a minibus..... let alone hold a decent size tournament.

Whoever invented the 8pm sunday matches was a genius imo, as its the only time we all know to mass together for a game, rest of the week the servers are empty, i need a game with a bit more life in it. As and when i can make the meetings i will, but most of the time i cant. In wolfie i can kick in anytime and play on any of 60+ servers packed to the gills with players.

No offence, but I think i lost my faith in tm.

IP:

coaxs
posted January 14, 2004 07:05 PM            
Was a genius?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 15, 2004 12:15 AM            
Well, yeah.. at the time.... a genius idea, it really imho the only thing holding things togeather, its just a shame the euro version didnt do so well.... just not enough players to make it happen.

IP:

posted January 15, 2004 12:45 AM            
So where do I get the tanks and the map Matrix.

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 15, 2004 05:22 AM            
The map download is in the dmf boards download forum, as fer the tank - notta clue m8... be on some1's system, been that long since i made that map and used the tank i dont think i have it anymore.. ill look though. I know its only small in size so ill mail it if i find it

(edit)

Or failing that, use the links on post 5 of THIS POST ,the poster seems to know where things are - very resourceful

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited January 15, 2004).]

IP:

Irascible
posted January 15, 2004 07:45 AM            
Yes Coax. That was past tense. Hehe.

I gotta disagree with ya there Matrix. You're shocked, I'm sure. I think plenty of peeps handle non-stock just fine. I have at least a little experience in non-stock and get positive feedback on a somewhat regular basis.

You've lamented the lack of feedback and participation for a long time - and you are absolutely right. But it seems like the implication has been that the "TM community" is somehow less participatory than others. I think it's just the opposite. As a percentage of active players, we have a lot of participation. You said it yourself, we just don't have enough players. If CW really has 60 packed servers on a routine basis, you wouldn't even need one tenth of one percent of the players to respond to you and it would seem overwhelming. One tenth of one percent of TM's players would not amount to a whole human.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2