|
Author Topic:   Has anyone tried TM on DirecWay internet access?
mELON cRACKER
posted December 09, 2003 11:48 PM            
Just wondering. I know that the old 1 way satellite systems that used a phone line for upload were poor for gaming, but what about the two way systems?
In theory, it wouldn't be that great, but has anyone actually tried it?

[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

BamZipPow
posted December 10, 2003 12:10 AM            
I know Super was on the one way satellite setup once. Not sure if anyone else is running Sat...

IP:

DNX-goku
posted December 10, 2003 12:37 AM            
is not much better i had one-way for the longest time and 2 way aint really much better than a fast 56k service

IP:

Irascible
posted December 10, 2003 02:29 AM            
Little do you know Goku, a fast and reliable 56K system would be an improvement for our telecommunicationally challenged bud.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 10, 2003 07:43 AM            
Atm, satelite systems suck, even the tranceiver type that dont require a modem for upload. "Skylinc" is set to change that, a new system of bringing sat tech down into the atmosphere - onto baloons hovering above our heads like weather baloons; interesting concept.

Ppl have also called Skylinc "Skynet" because of its AI, (ability to know where the best signal is from and change dynamically to help the user instead of maintaining an inferior connection".. now call me crazy ... but...... Skynet ...... AI ........ Terminator ?

IP:

Irascible
posted December 10, 2003 12:16 PM            
You're crazy.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted December 10, 2003 01:37 PM            
It christmas at ground zero,
now the missles are on their way,
what a crazy fluke,
we're gonna get nuked,
on this jolly holiday!

IP:

CyberCannon
posted December 10, 2003 03:21 PM            
Would be for me as well Ras. If anyone has anymore information I would love to hear it.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

DNX-goku
posted December 10, 2003 05:33 PM            
the reaspon it sucks so much is it misses packets of info like no other so it has to resend practilly everyone twice so RAS if you dont have a direcway system shatup in the most polite way i can putt it it sucks royal arse belive me and if you dont belive i have that system ill take a pic of the satilite

IP:

Irascible
posted December 10, 2003 05:42 PM            
WTF are you talking about Goku? I am well aware that satellite sucks arse. All those friggin MSCE, Cisco and A+ courses I took a few years ago taught me a little something. I was just zinging my bud about it. He and I talked on the subject several times.

So, in the most polite way I can put it: bite me. :P

IP:

Irascible
posted December 10, 2003 05:59 PM            
Just to be painfully clear: His current connection is so bad that I was joking (joking often involves exaggeration) that your negative summation of satellite's quality could actually be an improvement for Melon - even though everyone knows it wouldn't be. See? (element of truth) + (exaggeration) = (attempt at levity)

Though I must admit, your attempt at spelling provided far more comic relief than my attempt at levity.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited December 10, 2003).]

IP:

DNX-goku
posted December 11, 2003 08:09 PM            
why tanhk ouy os evry uchm sra

IP:

VorDesigns
posted December 16, 2003 10:25 PM            
Gkou,

to porerlpy meplsisl wdors and siltl hvae ploepe usnaedtnrd you you msut
lavee the frsit and the lsat lteetr of yuor wdors iatnct

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted December 21, 2003 03:59 AM            
Actually, my connection does suck a bit. I use Juno for dialup, which is cheap, but as you may know, requires you to run a "special" Juno browser and toolbar for as long as your connection is up, hogging system resources. Anyone know of any better dialup for $9.95 a month or less?
For that price, I get unlimited monthly access, an average of two spontaneous disconnects a night, plently of traffic from infected Juno and/or internet users, and a great little dialog box that pops up at four hours usage that says "Do you want to stay connected. You will be disconnected if you do not click "Yes" in 45 seconds". And the best part about that is that the Stay Connected dialog comes up behind the TreadMarks window, so I don't know I am at my time limit till I see the Desktop and a reconnect Dialog.
Sheesh!

[BWL]mELONcRACKER

[This message has been edited by mELON cRACKER (edited December 21, 2003).]

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted December 21, 2003 04:02 AM            
One other thing, has anyone tried the new compressed dialup services with TM? I don't know how compressible the TM data stream is, but I think this would be do-able in my area (Semi-rural Texas - No DSL or Cable internet - satellite, extremely expensive wireless, or analog only).
Thanks,
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

Rex R
posted December 21, 2003 04:26 AM            
been seeing ads for 'netzero' dunno how they are. juno sounds unfriendly towards gammers.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted December 21, 2003 07:13 PM            
Net Zero, is owned by Juno actually, so same problem. Try Everyones internet www.ev1.net it is a Texas based ISP so it has plenty of access numbers here. Price dependent on how you pay can be as low as $10 a month. My brother-in-law in Dallas uses it and is quite happy, well other than he would prefer to have the T1 line he has at work that is.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP: