|
Author Topic:   TMLogScan updates and features RFC
KiLlEr
posted November 10, 2003 02:35 PM            
K,
Now that I've gotten some time on my hands to work on TMLogScan here's what I have in mind to add:

1) Originally requested, I am implementing a way that you can restart the map from remote.

2) **see next post**

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited November 17, 2003).]

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 10, 2003 02:56 PM            
#2 is a vote based system where if a majority of players want to:

a) Kick a player
or
b) restart a map

they would enter a chat command:

/TMLSCMD;RESTARTMAP
/TMLSCMD;BANPLAYER;playername

If a player were to logout after voting I would drop the player's vote.

Majority vote initiates the command.

IP:

posted November 14, 2003 03:44 PM            
Sorry for not paying attention to this Killer. But I would very much appreciate the abilities that you are going to implement.

I am always asked by players to kick a tank off. Just this week at CTF, the tank WES was on but no one was there. This made it very annoying because the team of three was now only 2.

Also on racing there is a need to restart the map because of lots of players coming late or lag. It wouold be very cool to be able to just restart it.

As for banning, I don't really care for that. Others do. So far, the only time I would ban someone is when they are cheating and that would be only for ranked events.

So let me know when you have this done or need to do testing...I will most certainly be the test dummy.

------------------
Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator at your service…that is…if I will do it!
Race Ladder Results

IP:

coaxs
posted November 14, 2003 04:31 PM            
Sorry to do this to you Killer. But giving someone access to ban people on the LDA community servers seems out of bounds for what the job initially was suppose to be. The job description was simply--to switch servers so Jim didn't have to do it. The job was not suppose to be an unofficial policing unit patrolling the servers.

Obviously from the last ranked event we saw how such an ability could be useful, but I still think it is unnecessary, and a bad idea in general. I'm just referring to the LDA community servers, the people who use logscan for their personal servers can do whatever they want.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 14, 2003 05:57 PM            
If thats the case then LogScan is already far beyond just being able to switch servers.
As it already allows for banning by server ops, automatic ejection of players that use flagged swear words, tracking statistics, and maintains events. Also, no one ever gave me specs as to what I should or should not code. There was never a 'job description'. The expanding for TMLogScan to handle remote server control was my idea to begin with, not a set of specifications given to me by LDA. I did forward ALL the capabilities of TMLogScan, how it works, etc, to Jim before he agreed to install it on the commnity server. He is well aware of its current capabilities as I emailed him a lengthy email about it. You are out of bounds for making the implication that LogScan was a request given to me by LDA. That was never the case. The rights to TMLogScan are soley owned and controlled by me and not LDA. I would never arbitrarily make such a major change and ram it down peoples throats without first contacting people about it. Hence reason for this post. As with the swear word ejection, this enhancement would be configurable/optional. I'm reacting to an apparent need, just like all software authors do.

I posted this to get feedback, and I appreciate the second half of your post, I would need the arguments as to why it is unnecessary and a bad idea, so that it can be discussed by all. I will email Jim about any major changes, if made, and get his input as well.

To clarify, it won't be a single person acting as judge, jury and executioner for this expansion (as the originall propsal stated). It could be coded in such a way as to use a voting system (as the 2nd post explained). It could be a minimum vote, or a democratic vote.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited November 14, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted November 14, 2003 06:46 PM            
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Logscan itself was "going to far" in what options it made available. I meant the role of a community server op seemed to be going to far from what I initially understood the role to be. Which was to simply and only be in charge of switching servers and nothing else.

Looking back at your origonal post http://206.222.78.140/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003445.html I see that managing banned lists was from the start a de facto part of the job. I must of missed that part of the job description when I read your post, because I definately would of had more reservations about it had I paid closer attention. At any rate since you did announce it as part of the job description, I'll shut-up and enjoy seeing punks finally kicked off the server when they are flagrantly annoying.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 14, 2003 08:15 PM            
No prob I just wanted to make sure that nobody thinks I 'slip one under the table'.
Also this new system is probably better implemented as an in-game voting system where either a certain number of votes, or a democratic style majority rules. That would be fair as not one person has control.

My reservations are abuse of any system. I wouldn't mind a system of casting out of someone who has clear disregard for others, but I don't want 4 or 5 friends turning it into a way to turn a public server into a private one. So I'm stuck in deciding what is the right thing to do. It seems though that RTCW doesn't have that particular problem of server hogging, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Arguments please

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited November 14, 2003).]

IP:

synack
posted November 14, 2003 08:22 PM         
RTCW?

IP:

coaxs
posted November 14, 2003 08:59 PM            
Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 14, 2003 10:51 PM            
ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 15, 2003 04:27 AM            
Id like to see a retstrt server cmd in the dedicated config, that way I can do my seriously detailed maps and not have to worry bout the mirror mode when the server "loops" the map list.

666 will have seen the effect im talking about avoiding on my F1 beta race map.

IP:

posted November 17, 2003 10:15 AM            
no...clue me in or tell Susan

------------------
Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator at your service…that is…if I will do it!
Race Ladder Results

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 17, 2003 02:13 PM            
Sorry for not answering Killer. When there are posts that involve actual thinking, sometimes I put them off until my brain engages. My brain hasnt' engaged for a while, thus no response.

If there is a way for a vote thing to happen on a LogScanned server that sounds like a great way to go. First off, it has to be easy to use. Secondly, we have to decide at what level the voting should initiate the kick command. A 30 min ban sounds good to start with. Can a player's bans (within a week, say) be progressive, so that each ban is for a longer period of time, maybe to reset at the beginning of a 30 day period?
Third, can anyone initiate a vote? I think that should be the case. I can think of a few instances where a certain player was harrassing a number of people and we all wished he would go away. I don't want permanent bans, but a ban of a few hours is all that is needed generally.

Thanks Killer for such rockin work.

------------------
If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito.
- African Proverb

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 17, 2003 04:28 PM            
30mins is the minimum TM will handle without spontaniously combusting when the ban expires.

I would suggest a majority vote. TMLogScan can keep track of the number of people apparently (a p p a r e n t l y : As in we scan every 2 mins so accuracy is limited to the last scan) on the server, then save the number of votes. The votes would be voided if a player who voted leaves the server and when a map change takes place. If a majority vote occurs, being more than half the number of players, the kick takes effect.

Its not actually a vote per say, its how many players enter the kick command with the kickee's player name. You don't click yes or no, yea or nea, etc. IF you don't agree to the kcik, just don't enter the command n the chat line.

I will add 3 widgets to TMLogScan, one to enter a ban time, a checkbox to enable it, and another check box to enable map restart voting. prolly give it a config dialog. Which means that the server op will manually need to enable it from the server itself. (i.e. Jim)

Progressively longer bans are problematic since it may not be the same person. Or they would just use a different name with the previous ban expires.

The same deal would apply to map restarts, a majority number of players enter the restartmap command and it will take effect.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 17, 2003 06:10 PM            
When do we get to try it out?!

Who will be the first victim? Heehee...

IP:

coaxs
posted November 17, 2003 10:39 PM            
Sounds fair. As long as server ops decide.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 20, 2003 08:23 PM            
Just an update,

I have completed all coding and now I'm testing everthing.

The remote restart map (via my website) is working perfectly.

I am now testing the voting system

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 20, 2003 08:23 PM            
Just an update,

I have completed all coding and now I'm testing everthing.

The remote restart map (via my website) is working perfectly.

I am now testing the voting system

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 20, 2003 09:24 PM            
Awesome I can now design intensely detailed maps and not have to worry about mirroring issues on loop restarts.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 21, 2003 08:05 AM            
It won't help you in that way. not unless you babysit the server all day.

IP: