|
Author Topic:   TM uses 97% of my processor power?
CyberCannon
posted November 02, 2003 10:49 PM            
Guys, I got a question. My computer says that when I am running nothing but the "everyday" stuff it uses 3% of my CPU power. After playing TM for awhile it will quite often say that I am using 99-100% of my CPU power. Some of you may have noticed that I will sometimes state that my 'puter is acting up and that I will be right back, this is why. Before you ask this is the basic specs for my 'puter.

• AMD Athalon 900 Mhz CPU
  • 640 Megs RAM
  • Radeon 8500 Vid Card with 128 RAM
  • Dolby 5.1 sound card
  • US Robotics 5610 Hardware modem
  • Win 98 SE
  • Norton System Works...

I hope that is enough information. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem. Oh by the way I keep my Anti Virus up to date, and I have scanned for trojans. Both show to be negative.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 02, 2003 11:20 PM            
I don't have the techie answer, but before I play a game that I care somewhat about, I run a program called "end it all" so that all background processes are killed before starting up the game. I can link you ( or check Harmlesses site) if you are interested.

IP:

harmless
posted November 02, 2003 11:28 PM            
i'm not a fan of any norton programs...
i would kill norton system works before
playing TM and see if that helps.

IP:

harmless
posted November 02, 2003 11:32 PM            
guess i should add...

if you are using norton only for antivirus.
these 2 programs are free, are updated constantly, and play very well with win98.

AVG grisoft
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

and

AntiVir Personal Edition
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

IP:

Teulk
posted November 03, 2003 02:59 PM            
I also had to "dump" Norton for the sake of the game...pretty much for the sake of anything on-line. As harmless mentioned those two programs are excellent, and you'd never know they were there.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted November 07, 2003 12:27 AM            
According to a program Bam pointed me to it wasn't Norton at all. It was Micro Shaft find fast. I turned that off and haven't had a problem after that. Of course that is only about two hours.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP: