This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   I've got a graphics problem...
Scrap Metal
posted October 31, 2003 01:44 PM            
I made it to a game a few days ago! I got my tail kicked, but I tried! I've been playing TM more often so maybe I'll be able to get back into some more server games. But I was wondering if I could get some help with some kinde of rendering problem I've got. It comes up rather infrequently in TM but it never goes away in this new demo I got from a friend for Homeworld 2. Here's a screenshot of it:

anything that gets bigger than, say, 3.5 inches across in the screen gets this strange rectangles in it. the rectangles are always arranged in a vertical grid and are always the same size. Please someone tell me that this is easy to fix!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 31, 2003 02:08 PM            
By any chance did you install Direct X9?

It looks like a texture transfer/compression problem or a Programmable shader problem with either DirectX or your video card driver.

If you installed direct x9, you'll have to reinstall windows to get rid of it. If you haven't installed it yet, try installing it, as a new game may look to use new features in DirectX9. And make sure you got the latest drivers for your card.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited October 31, 2003).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 31, 2003 02:08 PM            
The images bitplanes are gettin fragged n scrambled in the ram, this is to do with being low on ram, if the images cant fit as a whole into the desires contiguous space requited by the program (memory address to memory address value), then the image is split up into 2 or more locations. wheat this means is the bitplanes are missaligned cos the rams too full. quit the prog, unload some stuff and try again. Ive seen this several times and usually cutting back on res, gettin rid of the windows backdrop ... etc etc is sufficient to clear it.

If not, theres sumthin more serious wrong, try changing the driver....

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 31, 2003 04:22 PM            
It wouldn't let me play until I got direct X 9b. It also told me that my drivers were obsolete, and I got the new ones.

I does make sense that it would be the RAM, I only have 256 megs, and I'm running a pentium 4 1.5 ghz on it. how do I know what type of ram I have so that I can get the same kind?

I left the game running for about an hour on pause while I took a break and got some food and the little rectangles went away, so I finished the game. when I started a knew one the rectangles were still gone, but all of the textures were scrabled and it looked like only parts of the models were rendered, most of them not the parts you normally see. If it happens again I'll put a screenshot of it up, I forgot the first time.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 31, 2003 04:49 PM            

IP:

kv
posted October 31, 2003 05:21 PM            
have you tried playing in a smaller resolution?

just because you can play in 1600x1200 doesn't mean you should.

IP:

posted October 31, 2003 05:29 PM            
LMAO kv

------------------
Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator at your service…that is…if I will do it!
Race Ladder Results

IP:

posted October 31, 2003 05:32 PM            
LMAO kv

------------------
Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator at your service…that is…if I will do it!
Race Ladder Results

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 31, 2003 05:38 PM            
I have a 20" monitor, if I dont play in 1600x1200, individual lines jusm out at you Or do you mean that going to a lower res will fix it?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 31, 2003 05:54 PM            
Could be yer video card is overheating/dying? Do you have another comp to try yer card in?

IP:

kv
posted October 31, 2003 06:15 PM            
well..

if you play in a smaller res, you will use less memory, so if this is a memory issue, it will go away.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 31, 2003 08:54 PM            
Youre running out of texture memory, theres not tnough to draw the texture on the face side of the polygons. sumthin to do with poly-clipping and polynominals.... a bit beyond me, but yes, its a distinct lack of RAM.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted October 31, 2003 09:33 PM            
this card bettrer not be dying, I paid $255 for it, it's a radeon 9700 pro and was the bes on the mrket at the time. it cause be overheating though, my computer is air cooled and in a cabinet that is enclosed except for the back, which is only few inches away from the wall. I try to keep the door open, but I inevitably forget.

now I don't seem to get the forst problem anymore. but I seem to be getting the second on every other game.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 31, 2003 10:42 PM            
I've got the same card as you and mine died a few weeks ago (only 8 months old). Got a RMA from ATI and had a new one sent to me. Just want to be sure...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 31, 2003 10:45 PM            
oh...which Catalyst Drivers are you using? My card died after installing 3.8. It wasn't overclocked at all as it was at stock speeds and I have tons of extra cooling on it.

Maybe I should try the demo and see if it does the same on mine...

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 01, 2003 12:09 AM            
I installed 3.8 yesterday.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 01, 2003 12:13 AM            
and I would hihly reccomend the game, it's awesome.

now if I restart the program for every new game it works fine, so I don't know what it is. maybe the rame is still bg used by the last game somehow and there isn't enough room for the new one? or maybe it's a software problem.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 01, 2003 10:19 AM            
Every time you use a computer program or game it leaves stuff hanging around in memory, thats why occasional reboots are required. Thats why the game is ok next time you load it, its empties ram and re-preloads the graphics into new texture memory.

As for the card - its an ATI, so expect problems anyway; Id do what Bam suggests, take these woes to ATI and get cherself a new one, then put it on ebay and buy an nVidia.

Problem sorted.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 01, 2003 10:04 PM            
I dont have the warranty. the only reason I got it so cheap was because I got it off ebay. never used, and in the static bag but no box or warranty.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 01, 2003 10:34 PM            
All you have to do is register yer card and serial number with ATI. I got mine on NewEgg's refurbished section and ATI didn't have a problem with that. Of course I didn't tell them I got it from the refurb section...

I'm sure ATI will honor the warranty as long as someone else didn't register that serial number...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 01, 2003 11:58 PM            
Well...I downloaded and installed the demo. Seems to work just fine on my setup. I even ran it at max settings fer the graphics. Sure does look purty.

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB DDR
ATI Catalyst 3.8
Athlon XP 2800
512MB PC3200 DDR
ECS L7SA2 mobo
Windows XP Pro SP1

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 02, 2003 12:00 AM            
Fergot to add:

SB Live! 5.1 Platinum
DirectX 9.1b

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 08, 2003 04:26 PM            
I got some new RAM, PNY 256mb RDRAM, which brings my system to 512 MB. But I don't know how to install it. I tried just plugging it in to see if it was plug and play compatible. but when I turned it on it just started making monotonous beeps. I had to take two things out of the sockets to put it in, they don't look like they do anything, there's no wireing on them. I think they're just there to keep dust out of the connectors. Could anyone tell me what to do?

I had a screenshot that I was going to put up just because it looks downright phychadellic, but I lost it, maybe I'll make another one before I install the ram...

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited November 08, 2003).]

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 08, 2003 06:35 PM            
I tried again and it worked this time, but I'm still having the same problems. I checked to make sure that it's recognising the ram and it is. I don't know what to do next. any suggestions? I'm also having problems with the mouse being very choppy in games.Is it the same problem?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 09, 2003 12:31 AM            
Still sounds like yer ATI card may be getting ready to die.

Did you try running any graphics testing programs on it? SiSandra, 3DMarks 2001SE...

Does it still do it on any of the lower resolution settings?

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2