This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   LDA's MYSTERIOUS TURRET FORT
coaxs
posted October 30, 2003 05:34 AM            
Apparently, in the new TM1.6egames install several new textures were added. One is called TurretFort.bmp, Bam and I are completely at a loss for what it could be. Any comments LDA? The cat is out of the bag now. Speculation by the community?

Here is the pic for those that don't own the egames install.

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited October 30, 2003).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 30, 2003 08:36 AM            
Some very early tank designs had very tall turrets, room for a man to stand in there, could be that. Personally id like to see the tanks from ww2 that looked like a cube had been slanted, pushed to one side.... dont knwo the name for the shape but you get what i mean...

code:

_____
/ /

and if anyone says thats a jawa sandcrawler ill meet em at dawn with pistols drawn lol...

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 30, 2003 09:56 AM            
We were toying around with the idea of stationary pillboxes which would have allowed more structured "missions" to be designed into maps.

We left a lot of work-in-progress in TM... but I forgot about that one. The console version/TM2 would have been more character and mission driven had it survived.

Jim

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 30, 2003 11:35 AM            
Was there any new left-in modifications to the ent parameters?

I've been toying with gun and missle emplacements for my TeamCTF mod, but they didn't work too well as 0 acceletation/speed AIs. Hard to control where they would spawn.

@Matrix:

This would be a sandcrawler:

code:

000 000

Hmmm. I haven't done a TM tank in a while. BD

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited October 30, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited October 30, 2003).]

IP:

Rex R
posted October 30, 2003 01:09 PM            
yep lda had thought to use 'pillboxes' as a course hazard on race maps as well

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 30, 2003 09:23 PM            
Well, Jim, since the console version bit the dust *no thanks to tantalus software", is there any chance the completed stuff, like new ents and skins can be put into a kind of expansion pack, seems a shame for work to goto waste.

Also to have structured missions would be well cool... so make the request 2 additional views now, top down like a shoot em up and 1st person (inside tanks with rectacle and cockpit view).

Pweeeeeeeeeeeeeeese *flutters eyes at jim*

IP:

DNX-goku
posted October 30, 2003 09:28 PM            
that does sound good with working gauges well somewhat all they hvae to do is move with like targeting windows all around kinda like this http://www.armchairempire.com/images/previews/xbox/steel-battalion/steel-battalion-7.jpg but a tad less cramped that would be cool as can be i would have to have food threw a IV i wouldn't budge

IP:

A2597
posted October 30, 2003 10:20 PM            
forget the views man...they are useless, and would clutter TM feel. TreadMarks is fun, it's not ment to be made into a "tank sim", if it was it would ruin the fun that is held by all. You don't need the views for structured missions anyway, any more then you need turret up and down movment.

remember KISS. (Keep it simple stupid)

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

harmless
posted October 30, 2003 10:27 PM            
thanks A2597,
my sentiments exactly.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 31, 2003 01:45 AM            
I wasnt talking about clutter to that degree, besides, i wouldnt expect it to be possible in the engine. BUT a simple menu command like COCKPIT ON/OFF (which would only function in camera mode "first person")- could be liked be some ppl, I know id welcome it, besides, it would be a simple overlay bitmap using black as transparent, could make for some really interesting "internal views", doesnt have to be functional, just eye-candy. Yet more stuff to cusomise - YEHAA !!

Personally id love such a feature, specially if such a camera mode included a leading dot or recticle for extra coolness.

Plus A' youd be able to have an inside to your b5 craft (cockpit view maybe ?) youre thinking very "stock", try to think more "mod opportunity".

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 31, 2003 09:26 AM            
I'd be happy with

a) The spewer class having the option of aligining itself with axies of the entity its attached to. In other words attaching a spewer to a projecile via flareent and having the max/min velocities of the spewer track the direction of the projetcile so the +z axis of the spewer would always point in the direction the projectile is heading.

b) Projectiles applying a directional kick (not just a scalr value) to a tank (it would make things like tractor beams possible. )

c) Meshes that can be destroyed.

d) Being able to drive ontop of any mesh (i.e. bridges). Goes hand-in-hand with e.

e) polygon-point or polygon-polygon collision detection instead of just relying on bounding box. Once a possible collision is detected between a mesh and a tank via bounding box, select the polygons of the mesh that are closest to, and facing the tank. Then test to see if one of the points of the tank's bounding box (the one that triggered the collision detection routine) lies either on or behind the plane created by the mesh's polygon. You would need to do this test for each of the
mesh's selected polygons.

If there is any questions about what I wrote you can ask.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited October 31, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited October 31, 2003).]

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 31, 2003 03:17 PM            
No promises, but I'll try to find some time to look through the files and objects and see what might be of interest.

Jim

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 31, 2003 04:11 PM            
I wait in anticipation...

IP:

wolfman
posted October 31, 2003 05:58 PM            
Hiyas - the tank obstacles that I believe sailor had in some of his maps were very cool - like the old X beams in wwii or dragon's teeth made out of i beams. JT

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted October 31, 2003 06:23 PM            
Those cross beams you are talking about JT are courtesy of Kong. He made the meshes and ent's to go with them. They are very useful for stopping or blocking areas and having a little fun with. I found them quite useful.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

coaxs
posted October 31, 2003 06:42 PM            
I just want to sit in one of the turrets and blow tanks up.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

DNX-goku
posted October 31, 2003 07:45 PM            
thats the only way you will get kills coax

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 31, 2003 07:52 PM            
I'm sure that could be arranged, coaxs!

Team Spawn points just like the soccer map!

IP:

coaxs
posted October 31, 2003 08:33 PM            
It would be great if they could be at designated places on a CTF map and be the guardians of the flag so to speak. Might need elevation control or more intense homing for that.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

-Guided by Voices-
posted October 31, 2003 11:27 PM            
i like the ideas of the skins pack and have no complaints about the game, but my driving skills give me away. so come on out to lda's server and just see if you can take my soda this time...yeah you know who you are with your big hair ,small terd like face ,and poopie breath. im gona get cha.

POW!

[This message has been edited by -Guided by Voices- (edited October 31, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 10, 2003 06:51 PM            
LDA Jim,

Could you send me the TurretFort LWO/LUV file? I'd like to give it a shot and put together something fun. Thanks!

IP:

wolfman
posted November 12, 2003 10:38 PM            
Kudos to Kong then - was a blast playing a map with them in it JT

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 19, 2003 03:51 PM            
Guess I'll have to hunt down some other turrets instead then. Star Wars models come to mind...

IP:

wolfman
posted November 19, 2003 04:35 PM            
The shape more reminiscent of WWI tanks - rhomboidish so to speak
_____
/____/ not a good example - yours was better matrix lol

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 19, 2003 05:09 PM            
I actually liked the sandcrawler lol....

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2