This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   CLAN BATTLE October 26th - 8 pm EASTERN
Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 20, 2003 01:20 AM            
It is Death or Glory's turn to pick the maps. Post your desires in this thread. BZP, Killer, or 666 should be able to adjust the config file. I will be away from the 22nd to the 29th, so I won't be a reliable person to make any changes during that time.
If no map recommendations are made by say the 25th then we will just use the full clan map rotation and we will play whatever comes up after 5 pm pacific time.
OH AND REMEMBER, CLOCKS GO BACK ONE HOUR THE NIGHT OF THE 25TH, SO DONT' MISS THE CLAN BATTLE DUE TO THE CLOCKS NOT BEING SET CORRECTLY!!

------------------
If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito.
- African Proverb

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 20, 2003 01:34 AM            
At least they would get there an hour early instead of an hour late.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

harmless
posted October 20, 2003 02:20 AM            
with this clan battle...

are we limiting the clans to just 5,

or...

are we just going to let as many clan people
show up and see if we even get close to the server limit?

so far, we been lucky to get maybe half server capacity.

just wondering... though it would be nice to let as many clan people show up, no limits.
i would like to see us reach the server limit

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 20, 2003 12:14 PM            
What say the community?

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted October 20, 2003 03:02 PM            
am gonna try and make a sneaky comeback for one night only! if that teams haven't been decided that is!

IP:

posted October 20, 2003 05:58 PM            
Until it is a problem...all may come.

------------------
Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator at your service…that is…if I will do it!
Race Ladder Results

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted October 20, 2003 06:59 PM            
Here is my vote for the Clan maps.
I will be there as it is a holliday week for the
college students so I can roll in late at work on Monday

DediMap0 = "CLAN THE RAMP"
DediMap1 = "CLAN Simian Isle"
DediMap2 = "CLAN BULL"
DediMap3 = "CLAN Barren Lake"
DediMap4 = "CLAN DM Black Mesa"
DediMap5 = "CLAN Pinnacle"

IP:

max
posted October 20, 2003 10:46 PM         
DNX has way too many members for unlimited play. Just my 2 cents. Surprise LOL, and for Ras HEHE! NEW MEMBER thats always funny. Sorry I'm not a post head. Just a frag head.
Hi everybody.
[This message has been edited by max (edited October 20, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by max (edited October 20, 2003).]

IP:

harmless
posted October 21, 2003 12:51 AM            
don't worry too much max...
with the addition of buick8 to LWA,
if we all show up, LWA will have at least 6...
kv, wolfman, buick8, harmless, max, and FBunny.
and i'll try to get a hold of scrap metal...
haven't heard from him in awhile.
could be fun.

IP:

coaxs
posted October 21, 2003 02:32 PM            
I thought we all agreed only 5? Why change again now? So pointles... ::shakes head::

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

harmless
posted October 21, 2003 10:23 PM            
well... yes and no...

it's a balance between a sense of fairness and enabling the TM clan community, as a whole, to participate.

it seems that a year ... year and a half ago, having limits was a good idea.

but now, from a realistic point of view, not a theoretical point of view, doing away with the limits makes more sense (to me at least).

we did not have any clan matches for ages; then, the last 2 attempts at clan matches were uneven at best.

even with limits, it's a lopsided event if only one clan shows up with 5, and everyone else only has 2 or 3 or 4.

out of a sense of fairness, we really shouldn't hold a clan match unless we can guarantee that each clan can send in 5 people, but the logistics involved and all of the communications involved between all of the various people would insure that we would never have another clan match.

we could....
limit the clans to only 3 people each, since we know that all clans could get 3 people for each event.

we could....
have a limit of 3, but also allow larger clans to have more than one team.

we could....
keep the limit of 5, but then the smaller clans will never have a chance. but then some members of the larger clans might never get a chance to be in a clan match.

or we could....
just open it up to any one in a clan that can show up. it's easiest and simplest, and every clan member gets a chance. sure, the smaller clans will probably never come out on top, but at this point in time in TreadMarks 3 year history, it's more important to have the entire clan community come out and have fun playing.

i would love the playing field to be level and fair. but the demands of life will just interfere, kids, school, job, significant other... i just don't think we could ever insure a level playing field
not counting nukes of course

so i feel that if you can make the clan event, come on out, wear your clan flag high,
and let's just have some fun.

toodles,
harmless

IP:

posted October 21, 2003 11:25 PM            
Well said harmless. My bro speaks the words I have been telling people for the last 3 months. It is more important to get people out there then it is to set limits.

With that said. Do the clan leaders have the port address. It is a private affiar, clan members only.

------------------
Race Ladder Results

IP:

coaxs
posted October 21, 2003 11:42 PM            
Whatever the good intentions are it still sweeps away the whole discussion, and a heated one for those that can remember, about limits.

As a result I can't in good conscience just throw out that agreement which was decided democratically, just because of poor recent turn-out.

With that said. I'll only be adding 5 scores for any clan that fields more than 5 players at the event. Sorry, I can't sweep away democracy, just because it's a good idea.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited October 22, 2003).]

IP:

posted October 22, 2003 12:23 AM            
Yo...Coax...you are not reading my sig line are you...LOL

------------------
Race Ladder Results

IP:

posted October 22, 2003 12:29 AM            
I finally read what you said...that sound fair...may need to think about it.

------------------
Race Ladder Results

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 22, 2003 01:12 AM            
Just a thought, to try to make things more *even*. I haven't thought this through all the way, so I'm not even sure if it would work out..
My idea has to do with frags and deaths PER PLAYER PER CLAN. That way, if a clan only has 1 player, that player counts fully. If a clan plays with 5 players, the average score of those 5 players would count towards the clan standing.
Sure its a bit more math involved, but isnt' that what Excel is all about?
I do hear both sides of the argument and I dont' feel so strongly about either side of the argument to put up much of a fuss. The fussing isnt' what is fun - it IS THE PLAYING.
We also *feared* the total obliteration in the last clan war with NO LIMITS. Well, that didnt' make me quake too much when it finally happened. Some days a clan WILL have lots of players show up and some days - well let's just say the library beckons
IF we go for no limits, then I do suggest a modicum of fair play. IF the server is full and IF a clan has way more players than other clans and IF joining the server proves difficult, THEN I suggest that the clan leaders designate some players to drop out to let the other clans be able to join in. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it is in the sense of fairness.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 22, 2003 02:58 AM            
The idea of averaging out the score for the clan could be an idea, though I have another thunk. I know Coax, more work. Since this is a "Clan" event, we could have two different ways of keeping track. The first one would be total frags, and the second would be the f/d ratio. Both of these would have to be done on a clan basis. That would mean that Clan A might have eight players and the most frags, but may only have a f/d ratio of 0.8 or so. While Clan B might only have two players and the lowest total frags, but might have the highest f/d ratio. That would seem to me to make, at least as a possibility, a fairly level playing field for the f/d scoring, while the total frags would give a clan incentive to have as many of their members present.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

harmless
posted October 22, 2003 04:29 AM            
well, that's ok coax.

i didn't take part in those discussions, so i don't know how that was all finally decided, or how heated it all got.

a compromise worked out by all the clans should be abided by.

i think i started (finally) playing online around the time of these discussions, so i did not follow any of it.... i didn't think it would ever apply to me.

a 5 player limit per clan is fine with me.
just thought i would ask... and i won't ask about it again.

there will always be a 5 player limit per clan for all future clan events.

good enough. i do suppose that is what ranked DDM's are for... all can particpate then.

IP:

Teulk
posted October 22, 2003 04:18 PM            
Seeing as I'm on nightshift for the next two weeks, showing up on Sunday MAY be a bit tight.
However, should I be able, could I please have the port address just in case.
I also heard that it was DOG's turn to pick the maps, and have seen Robo's picks. Haven't made any solid choices at this point, so whatever gets picked should be OK!!
Will there be any more of us this time around?? (DOG's, that is ?)

IP:

DNX-goku
posted October 22, 2003 05:49 PM            
you guys can bicker all yah want i just want to have fun and play limits on no limits i rember last time no limits still trying to forget so it dont really matter things in RL happen and cant be avoided for a game so they certinly can't show up so limits dont really mean squat

IP:

kv
posted October 22, 2003 06:55 PM            
crazy idea follows:

what if clan wars were just always unranked?

the winning clan could still brag about winning it, screenshots could even still be posted, it just wouldn't count for anything.

there would still be a private server so that it's only for people in a clan, but we could throw out this whole dispute.

IP:

coaxs
posted October 22, 2003 06:57 PM            
Thats the best idea yet kv. Clan wars should be more fun and less bickering.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 22, 2003 07:18 PM            
Sounds fine to me as long as we have a chance to play.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
Until we meet again.

CC

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 22, 2003 11:19 PM            
sounds good to me, too

IP:

harmless
posted October 23, 2003 02:55 AM            
that also sounds good to me.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2