|
Author Topic:   New Radeon drivers problem with TM?
mELON cRACKER
posted October 12, 2003 03:07 AM            
I downloaded and installed the new ATI Radeon drivers, and now TM is showing broken textures. The version I am using is wme-7-94-030917m-011434c, set in OGL part of control panel to High Quality.
If anyone else loads these drivers, let me know if you are having the same problem. The best place to look is in a crater or somewhere that the terrain has been deformed. Try turning side to side in there, and see if the textures flicker and have the wrong color sometimes.
BTW I have Radeon 9000.
Thanks,
[BWL}mELONcRACKER

IP:

harmless
posted October 12, 2003 06:28 AM            
the ATI site has all of their older drivers
still available for download.
they are at the bottom of the driver download page called "previous driver versions".
they have them going back almost 2 years.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 12, 2003 10:30 AM            
While i have never doubted the quality of ATI hardware - their drivers stink like a set of unwashed underwear from the hundred years war !

GO NVIDIA - YAYYY !

IP:

A2597
posted October 12, 2003 08:33 PM            
Matrix...

That was one of the dumbest post you've made in a long time...

mEALON, did you uninstall the old ones first? I'm using them, NO problems, even got a nice boost in FPS (About 5)
oh, and check your settings, new drivers always reset the settings for mipmaps/antialiasation, etc.

and HEY! These drivers fixed my TM! it was refusing to run in 32bit mode, now runs great!

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 12, 2003 09:08 PM            
Why m8 - personal opinion is that the hardware IS better than nVidia's - but ATI drivers have a very torrid history.

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted October 13, 2003 03:12 AM            
Thanks for the suggestion, harmless. I have all the previous drivers saved, so I can go back if need be.
One thing that I did differently this time could be the source of the problem. I was trying to "expedite" things, so I uninstalled, then installed the new ones immediately, then rebooted. I know, wrong order, but I wanted to see if I could get by with it.
Since those of you who responded are not having problems, I will reinstall and see if that fixes it.
One other question, does anyone think this could be related to a recent installation of an SBLive? I kind of doubt that because it was an upgrade from an SB PCI 512, which is very nearly the same thing. Just a thought.
Thanks,
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 13, 2003 05:21 AM            
Its always a god idea to remove the sound card, re-install the vid card, then put the sound card back in again. sound cards can and do interfere with graphic card setups - its wierd, ive seen it several times. Yes yes, if everything else fails, rip it out along with its software and put it in last when everything else in config'd

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 13, 2003 05:22 AM            
ps: try to keep ur soundcard in a slot as far away from the vid card and network card where applicable, as possible.

IP:

A2597
posted October 13, 2003 08:11 AM            
see, personal opinion doesn't equal fact.
ATIs drivers are whooping NVidia right now.

NVidia = gain proformance by forcfully lowering quality

ATI = What NVidia used to do.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 13, 2003 08:42 PM            
nVidia's recent shameful cheat on the MaxFX engine benchmark was sorrowful to say the least, but ive never had a more stable card. Ive owned ATI cards in the past - and dare I say it, but never again. Ill take the chance on missing out but man it was frustrating week after week to resolve ATI issues.. i finally threw my all-in-wonder Pro in the bin, thats when I went nvidia. I find the image quality smoother and higher, the drivers are rock solid and the performance is better than I need for what i play and what I use it for

But as i previously stated, ATI hardware is more than upto the job - you cant deny that the drivers have had a seriously shady history.

IP:

CyberCannon
posted October 14, 2003 06:05 PM            
Can't disagree or agree Matrix. I've never had a bit of problem from either my ATI or NVIDIA cards, of course that might be partly because I don't try to tweak them any. I am presently using an ATI card right now.

------------------
An Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again.
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

CC

IP:

A2597
posted October 15, 2003 12:20 AM            
we all know ATI cards were pretty bad back then, but there is a reason that people are flocking to them now. They really whip the llamas ass, to quote Winamp.

INCREDIBLY stable, I'd like to see NVidia build overclocking into a card, and STILL support the warrentee. thats what ATI just did.

actually, I've seriously concidering flashing the bios in my 9800non pro into the 9800 Pro, everyone else seems to have great sucess doing this.

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 15, 2003 02:54 AM            
Yes ive heard about that trick - very popular. for the record im about to buy a gamecube (ati graphics) since the recent price of 120 was slashed down to 79 and with a 10 voucher off that plus a free extra pad worth 10 its a pretty sweet deal - plus I can finally play those well-spik resi evil games exclusive to the small purple power box

There may be hope for ATI yet, now then, where do i find a copy of pimkin to trip out on lol...

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted October 16, 2003 05:55 PM            
Well my problems are solved, and it apparently was the new driver, to the exclusion of everything else.
I did not change anything related to the sound card, so it is out of the equation.
The only other thing I had installed was an overclocking/tweaking program called Redline that comes with Sapphire brand ATI video cards. Uninstalling Redline had no effect on the TM texture problem.
Uninstalling the Catalyst 3.8 drivers, and going back to the prior set, which was the last revision of Catalyst 3.7, put everything back exactly as it should be.
I have submitted a report to ATI giving them all the info they should need to fix this, including using their interrogator program to snarf up my computer's innards.
Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions.
[BWL]mELONcRACKER

P.S. If anyone else has a similar configuration (Athlon, Radeon9XXX, DX9, Win9x), let me know if you are or are not having problems.

[This message has been edited by mELON cRACKER (edited October 16, 2003).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 16, 2003 08:41 PM            
*Looks at 'A' ... Ahhh the driver .....

IP:

Crawdaddy79
posted October 22, 2003 09:27 PM            
Well, I just tried out the 3.8's w/a 9700Pro and it ran like a champ...

It's unfortunate that older, cheaper cards are seemingly left by the wayside for ATi's stuff.

The 340M IGP in my laptop used to have Anti Aliasing capabilities, but after the Cat 3.5's it's strangely absent from the control panel.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted October 23, 2003 05:39 PM            
I'm going to have to agree with Matrix on ATI even though that is all I'm running; ATI used to be 'IT' when it came to server motherboards and of course the drivers SUCKED MASSIVE TESTICULAR CENTRAL TUBING!!!
Hours and hours and hours and hours of troubleshooting and downloading alternate drivers and bios udates from manufacturers constantly battling mostly with Symantec's pcAnywhere (hate it use it).
I still like my ATI cards but their drivers stink almost as bad as Matrox.

------------------
Echoes from the Void
=
You can kill them, but you cannot make them surrender
-
http://www.vordesigns.com

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 23, 2003 09:46 PM            
quote:
I still like my ATI cards but their drivers stink almost as bad as Matrox.

- I sincerely hope thats not a typo LOL !!

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted October 26, 2003 09:06 AM            
Maybe the thing was overheating? Processors do some funny stuff when they get hot.

IP:

mELON cRACKER
posted November 13, 2003 02:03 AM            
I recently got a new video card, and was having the same problems with it that I was having with the old one, but it was with the new Cat 3.9 drivers.
The card is awesome. It's an ATI FireGL X1 that I flashed with the 8.004 Radeon 9700 Pro BIOS. 8 pixel pipelines are a beautiful thing.
Anyway, the problem seems to be that I was trying to force too much data to the card through aggressive motherboard BIOS settings. If you have a Radeon 9XXX card, and you are seeing artifacts, consider disabling the following or corresponding BIOS settings:
AGP Fast Write
AGP 1ws Write
AGP 1ws Read

4345 3DMark03 score. This is the first and last time you will see me type this:

w00t!

[BWL]mELONcRACKER

IP:

A2597
posted November 13, 2003 02:56 PM            
oh yes...fastwrites are generally a BAD thing on ATI cards...

BTW, who here thinks Omega drivers ROCK?

on UT2k3 I GAINED 30 FPS! And thats not all, I had 112 FPS before, with no AA/AF, installed them, had 142 WITH 2x AA and 4x AF! So I gained even WITH using the cool stuff!

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted November 13, 2003 04:16 PM            
Disabling fastwrite on nvidia cards makes them more stable too.. just a bios thing.

IP:

A2597
posted November 14, 2003 11:58 AM            
WHOW...

I think the people on the race last night saw my reaction when I tested my FPS...
200+ FPS in TM...the omega drivers ROCK!

get them here for ATI/NVidia cards! http://www.omegacorner.com

------------------

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 14, 2003 01:22 PM            
Thanks....I'll give them a try.

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted November 16, 2003 02:42 PM            
The only problems I ever get with TM are an occasional problem just like the first screenshot in my other thread, it happens over the entire screen regardless of what I'm doing. I think it only happens when the system gets bogged down though, cause it always dissappears quickly. the other problem I get is wiht the deformable textures. If I look at it from some angles, usually when I use free look to look over a ledge, it jumps back to it's original shape, blocking my view.

What exactly are these omega drivers? Third party drivers for ATI and Nvidia cards?

I'm starting to get pretty pissed off at my ATI card, actually just at my computer in general. After spending $140.00 to double the RAM I'm seeing absolutly no difference in ANYTHING. Well, no. I shouldn't say that. It's worse now. Now I have to restart the entire system for each game because after I close the program, if I try to open it again, the screen goes blank and the entire system freezes.

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited November 16, 2003).]

IP: